• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Chipper

Chipper

Give it up

• Islander
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 05:59 AM

I'm sorry, but this is just hilarious.  During dinner, my parents told me that in the cafeterias at Congress, "French Fries" (which aren't even French, but Belgian!) are now being called "Freedom Fries" to display our respective government's differing views on the war.  

Supersize?
Greasy, fatty?

Would you like a soda too?

NOw, Freedom Toast...:D
"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?"

- Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#2 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 06:02 AM

Freedom kiss?
Posted Image

#3 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 06:03 AM

Freedom Vanilla Icecream?
Posted Image

#4 Chipper

Chipper

Give it up

• Islander
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 06:06 AM

Parlez vous Freedomcais?
"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?"

- Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#5 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 06:07 AM

I'd feel funny about Freedom Kissing.  I mean, I just don't associate tongue action with the American Flag.

:p
Posted Image

#6 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 06:10 AM

Freedom Maid Outfits :D
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#7 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 06:11 AM

I ain't touching this one...

Although... why not?

Freedom manly pokers!  :devil:
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#8 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,167 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 06:16 AM

This is just a fad that will pass just like the renaming of distinctly German foods like saukraut and certain types of sausages that happened in the US in the years leading up to its entry into the First World War. Within a few years the old names were back and it amounted to nothing.

#9 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 08:40 AM

Chipper, on Mar 12 2003, 02:56 AM, said:

I'm sorry, but this is just hilarious.  During dinner, my parents told me that in the cafeterias at Congress, "French Fries" (which aren't even French, but Belgian!) are now being called "Freedom Fries" to display our respective government's differing views on the war. 

Supersize?
Greasy, fatty?

Would you like a soda too?

NOw, Freedom Toast...:D
Oh, f--- me!

Uh, pardon my freedom.

Zack
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#10 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 08:45 AM

LOL Zack!
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#11 Iolanthe

Iolanthe

Jon's evil liberal twin

• Islander
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 08:48 AM

You know, English is itself essentially a hybrid language, the offspring of Anglo-Saxon and Norman French. If we're that keen to purge the French influence from our language, are we going to return to Old English? ;)
"Many have an Opinion not wise; That for a Prince to Governe his Estate; Or for a Great Person to governe his Proceedings, according to the Respect of Factions, is a Principall Part of Policy..." -- Sir Francis Bacon, Essayes or Counsell Civil and Morall
"You really do have a squee problem, you know that, right?" -- John
Visit Dangerously Slow Productions @ http://www.dsproductions.org Status: Complete. Go listen to the play! And coming soon, Henry IV, Part I, now in production!

#12 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 08:50 AM

Iolanthe, on Mar 12 2003, 05:45 AM, said:

You know, English is itself essentially a hybrid language, the offspring of Anglo-Saxon and Norman French. If we're that keen to purge the French influence from our language, are we going to return to Old English? ;)
Uhh.... you'd love that, would you not? ;) :D
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#13 Iolanthe

Iolanthe

Jon's evil liberal twin

• Islander
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 08:52 AM

Anakam, on Mar 12 2003, 05:47 AM, said:

Actually, I'd have a hard time with it! Old English is really really difficult! ;)

Still, it'd mean we'd have the excuse to say "Hwt!" in casual conversation... ;)
"Many have an Opinion not wise; That for a Prince to Governe his Estate; Or for a Great Person to governe his Proceedings, according to the Respect of Factions, is a Principall Part of Policy..." -- Sir Francis Bacon, Essayes or Counsell Civil and Morall
Visit Dangerously Slow Productions @ http://www.dsproductions.org Status: Complete. Go listen to the play! And coming soon, Henry IV, Part I, now in production!

#14 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 09:13 AM

MuseZack, on Mar 12 2003, 05:37 AM, said:

Oh, f--- me!

Uh, pardon my freedom.

Zack
*sputters*

:eek:

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!

:devil:
Posted Image

#15 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 09:45 AM

Iolanthe, on Mar 12 2003, 05:49 AM, said:

Anakam, on Mar 12 2003, 05:47 AM, said:

Actually, I'd have a hard time with it! Old English is really really difficult! ;)

Still, it'd mean we'd have the excuse to say "Hwt!" in casual conversation... ;)
But at least you'd know what you were saying! :p :p
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#16 Iolanthe

Iolanthe

Jon's evil liberal twin

• Islander
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 10:43 AM

Anakam, on Mar 12 2003, 06:42 AM, said:

But at least you'd know what you were saying! :p :p
Occasionally... ;)

BTW, does the subtitle for this thread make anyone else want to add "...great kings of French fries..."? ;)

Edited by Iolanthe, 12 March 2003 - 10:43 AM.

#17 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 10:43 AM

BTW, does the subtitle for this thread make anyone else want to add "...great kings of French fries..."? ;)

No.  :hehe:

I think it's just you.  :wideeyed:  :angel:
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#18 Iolanthe

Iolanthe

Jon's evil liberal twin

• Islander
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 10:44 AM

Okay, that's what I thought. ;)

*has seen FotR too many times*

#19 jon3831

jon3831

Iolanthe's evil conservative twin

• Islander
  • 2,600 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 11:46 AM

And y'know? We were just joking about this a few days ago, too...

:eek:  :eek:
"The issue is not war and peace, rather, how best to   preserve our freedom."
                    --General Russell E. Dougherty, USAF

WWCELeMD?

#20 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 11:48 AM

thank god i just call them chips anyway

saves me from a whole bunch of headache  :D

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: France, Freedom Fries

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users