France Freedom Fries

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 Broph

Broph
  • Islander
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 04:04 PM

I heard about this, though I heard it about a restaurant first. I wonder if that's where they got the idea.

http://www.cnn.com/2...eedom.fries.ap/

#22 Jid

Jid

Mad Prophet of Funk

• Islander
  • 12,553 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 06:12 PM

I know this is supposed to be some protest of the French not supporting war on Iraq, but, really...

I mean, if I was french, would I be offended about no longer having greasy slices of potato associated with me?  Hrmmmm.

Freedom wine?  Mmmm.  And plenty of it.

I wonder if we'll be allowed to make this work the other way?

[braveheart] Freeeeeeeeeeeeeennnnnnnnnccccccccccccchhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!![/braveheart]

Hmmm.  Maybe not.  Just doesn't have the same ring to it.
Stay hungry.

Stay foolish.

#23 eechick

eechick
  • Islander
  • 4,219 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 06:40 PM

I heard about that last night on TV.  Don't the congressmen who were in favor of this have better things to do?

#24 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 06:44 PM

I only have this to say about that:

:barf:  :barf:  :barf:  :barf:  :barf:
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#25 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 07:06 PM

Let's hear it for meaningless symbolic gestures!!
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#26 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 07:12 PM

Drew, on Mar 12 2003, 04:03 PM, said:

Let's hear it for meaningless symbolic gestures!!
HEAR HEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh.......you were being sarcastic.

Oopsie...;)

:angel:
Posted Image

#27 gadfly

gadfly

Romantic Progressive

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 07:18 PM

Okay, this should have a sillieness alert whenever it's reported by the media.  Freedom fries.....   I've given up eating them anyway but if I do get the opportunity I might just be an obstinate old cow .....  :devil:    Perhaps I'll be ostrasized for being unpatriotic.   :glare:   I really hate crap like this... and this is exactly what it is.... silly, meaningless crap.

On the other hand, I could have fun with the freedom kissing...  :wideeyed:   (or should freedom be capitalized???  :rolleyes:  )

And Io, no, I was so inclined as well but I've also seen FotR a few times.  ;)

#28 AnneZo

AnneZo
  • Islander
  • 688 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 10:33 PM

Me, I just think our government is searching for ever-new ways to embarass us publicly.

If they don't have more important ways to spend their time than this, then I suggest we downsize them.  If we need more legislators later, we can always hire someone who wants to work, after all.

Sheesh.  :eh:

#29 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 10:37 PM

Godeskian, on Mar 12 2003, 12:45 AM, said:

thank god i just call them chips anyway

saves me from a whole bunch of headache  :D
And chips make ME think of..well..cow pies. :p :p

I can't tell you the visualization that  was evoked the first time I heard the expression "fish and chips." :D :look:
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#30 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 10:41 PM

Freedom Fries just sounds so dorky anyway. I prefer "liberty potatoes."
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#31 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 10:46 PM

^

Then people who stay at home and watch the war on CNN can be "Liberty Couch Potatoes" :D
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#32 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 11:17 PM

The big problem with French-bashing is that "If you don't like it here, why don't you move to France?" just doesn't have the ring to it that, say, Russia or China did.  

Aw, jeez, great food, beautiful countryside, high standard of living, world-class train system, and gorgeous women?  What a nightmare!

:lol:

Zack

P.S.  Now someone pass me the Freedom's mustard for my frankfur--, er, hot dog.
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#33 usmarox

usmarox

Honi soit y mal y Kevlar

• Islander
  • 617 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 11:26 PM

Aw, jeez, great food, beautiful countryside, high standard of living, world-class train system, and gorgeous women? What a nightmare!

Yup.  It has all of those things.  And the tragedy, the criminal waste, is that it's populated by the French.

"I say we take off and nuke it from orbit.....it's the only way to be sure."
Miscellaneous ramblings and utter negativity - my LJ

You are not free, whose liberty is won by other, more righteous souls.  You are merely protected.  You suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return.  Now, the time has come for you to pay for that freedom, and you will pay in the currency of honest toil and human blood."

Inquisitor Czevak, Address to the Council of Ryanti.  

And no less true for being fictional.

Two ears, one mouth.  Use them in that ratio.

#34 cylkoth

cylkoth

I'm a non attorney spokesperson

• Islander
  • 6,593 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 12:15 AM

What next? Shall we have UPS take the Statue of Liberty back across the pond?  :eek2:
------------------------------------------------------
Am I Blue?
Am I Blue...
Ain't these tears, in my eyes, telling you?

#35 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 12:18 AM

^ She defected. She's been fully naturalized.  ;)

#36 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 12:22 AM

jon3831, on Mar 12 2003, 08:43 AM, said:

And y'know? We were just joking about this a few days ago, too...

:eek:  :eek:
Ok who is a member of Congress here?  :p
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#37 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 01:45 AM

Okay, as if this thing wasn't dumb enough already, here's a little something on the origin of French toast.  It would seem that it's an American original.  

"First made at a roadside tavern not far from the city of Albany  in 1724, there are few dishes more truly American than the breakfast favorite  known as "French toast". So American is the dish that very few can understand  why it is not called "American toast", "Albany Toast" or even "New York State  toast".

The confusion comes about because the owner of the tavern at which  the dish was invented had a very poor knowledge of grammar. When Joseph French  decided to name the dish after himself he should have written his invention as  "French's toast" (that is to say, the toast of French). Because he did not know  how to use the possessive apostrophe, however, the dish appeared on his menu simply  as "French toast". In short, the dish has nothing whatever to do with French culinary  history but in the two hundred and seventy years that have intervened, no one  has taken the time to correct the grammatical error."

Zack
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#38 Kimmer

Kimmer
  • Islander
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 01:51 AM

^ Didn't know that Zack. I love researching the history of different foods. So many are not what they appear. I mean, pizza isn't really Italian, Corned Beef and Cabbage on St. Patrick's Day is an American invention from a Jewish deli in NY, Betty Crocker never existed, and on and on it goes.

#39 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 01:55 AM

Oooh thanks for that Zack and yes that helps make it *even dumber*...I mean the United States Congress has got their priorities way out of whack.  :alien:
Posted Image

#40 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 02:04 AM

MuseZack, on Mar 12 2003, 10:42 PM, said:

"First made at a roadside tavern not far from the city of Albany  in 1724, there are few dishes more truly American than the breakfast favorite  known as "French toast".
Now I have to find out where.....   :D
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: France, Freedom Fries

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users