• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#41 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 02:07 AM

MuseZack, on Mar 12 2003, 02:42 PM, said:

The confusion comes about because the owner of the tavern at which  the dish was invented had a very poor knowledge of grammar. When Joseph French  decided to name the dish after himself he should have written his invention as  "French's toast" (that is to say, the toast of French). Because he did not know  how to use the possessive apostrophe, however, the dish appeared on his menu simply  as "French toast". In short, the dish has nothing whatever to do with French culinary  history but in the two hundred and seventy years that have intervened, no one  has taken the time to correct the grammatical error."

Zack
Poor grammar. How perfectly delightful!  :lol:  :lol:
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#42 Shaun

Shaun
  • Islander
  • 788 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 02:14 AM

How freakin' pathetic can you get. There are times when I really do think the US needs a good swift kick up its collective backside and some judicious banging of a few heads together wouldn't go amiss either.

Anyway, they're called chips (despite being increasingly greeted with the aggravating 'Do you want fries with that?' in an increasing number of UK food shops).
Shaun
Veni, vidi, vici

#43 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 06:22 AM

Shaun, on Mar 12 2003, 11:11 PM, said:

Anyway, they're called chips (despite being increasingly greeted with the aggravating 'Do you want fries with that?' in an increasing number of UK food shops).
Mwhahahaha our plans to take over the world!! :devil:
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#44 iMel

iMel

New and improved!

• Islander
  • 2,338 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 06:25 AM

Interesting!  Thanks for sharing that, Zack.  I didn't know the history of French toast, although I used to eat it a lot.  I thought it actually had something to do with France. :)
I use these words pretty loosely. There's so much more to life than words.
--Over the Rhine, "Latter Days"

Formerly known as Neozephryus :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: France, Freedom Fries

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users