Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 01:06 PM

Kosh, on Jul 23 2004, 11:47 AM, said:

HubcapDave, on Jul 23 2004, 12:35 PM, said:

Delvo, on Jul 23 2004, 10:17 AM, said:

Ogami, on Jul 23 2004, 09:07 AM, said:

When's the last time you didn't hear Rush Limbaugh identify himself as a conservative? Bill Buckley? Tony Snow? Bill O'Reilly?
Actually, Bill doesn't call himself a conservative, and really isn't one. He gets hate male from both sides pronouncing him to be a left-wing hack and a right-wing hack.
Which Bill? Buckley, or O' Reilly?
I took that to mean O'Riley, but since you asked, I'm wondering. It would be difficult to imagine anyone mistaking O'Riley for a liberal.
I was talking about O'Reilly; the name "Buckley" skipped right past me because I'm not at all familiar with him.

O'Reilly would best be described not as a conservative or a liberal... maybe libertarian, or populist, or political humanist, or something like that.

#42 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 01:26 PM

Delvo, on Jul 23 2004, 01:00 PM, said:

Drew, on Jul 22 2004, 05:22 PM, said:

What does he mean by "what's happening to them"?
The general idea is that it's getting harder for most people in the country to get by: pay the bills with money to spare, live the kind of life they want, be stable and secure, that "American Dream" stuff. In a way, it's true; the poor aren't getting poorer, but the middle class is shrinking, which means many of them are turning into the poor.
Although economic analyses are, to me, usually nothing more than a cure for insomnia, I seem to recall having recently read a number of articles that suggest the middle class isn't shrinking at all. I'll see if I can dig 'em up.

That would mean that rich liberals who weren't in on the vast right-wing conspiracy are just as much outside of it and disenfranchized by it as the unrich.

Well, that's what I thought. I often have a hard time containing my disgust when a billionaire aristocrat and trial lawyer who got wealthy chasing ambulances try to act as if they're just like the rest of us.
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#43 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 01:29 PM

Drew, on Jul 23 2004, 07:24 PM, said:

Well, that's what I thought. I often have a hard time containing my disgust when a billionaire aristocrat and trial lawyer who got wealthy chasing ambulances try to act as if they're just like the rest of us.
I find this interesting. I grew up with friends of my dad being millionairs and having boats in interesting and exotic places and stuff like that, so i've never properly understood that the rich are 'differen't' than the rest of us, except in mindset.

Sure, they have a bit more money, but they still pull their pants on one leg at a time. They suffer injuries and depression, they have fun and watch movies and go out to dinner, just like everyone else.

#44 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 02:15 PM

Delvo wrote:

I was talking about O'Reilly; the name "Buckley" skipped right past me because I'm not at all familiar with him.

William F. Buckley, famous conservative of National Review:

http://nationalreview.com

-Ogami

#45 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 02:47 PM

Ogami, on Jul 23 2004, 02:13 PM, said:

Delvo wrote:

William F. Buckley, famous conservative of National Review:

http://nationalreview.com

-Ogami
An excellent writer.
Can't Touch This!!

#46 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 02:48 PM

Cyberhippie, on Jul 23 2004, 01:27 PM, said:

I find this interesting. I grew up with friends of my dad being millionairs and having boats in interesting and exotic places and stuff like that, so i've never properly understood that the rich are 'differen't' than the rest of us, except in mindset.

Sure, they have a bit more money, but they still pull their pants on one leg at a time. They suffer injuries and depression, they have fun and watch movies and go out to dinner, just like everyone else.
When Kerry showed up at a farm near here last month and tried to convince everyone that he had farm-boy roots, the collective eye-rolling was enough to cause a slight change in the tilt of the earth.

It's that sort of "I'm just like you!" stuff that disgusts me. They behave as if they can relate to the struggles of the working class, but I'm not convinced most of them ever had to work a day.
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#47 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 03:13 PM

Drew, on Jul 23 2004, 01:46 PM, said:

They behave as if they can relate to the struggles of the working class, but I'm not convinced most of them ever had to work a day.
Bush was born rich and Kerry's money mostly comes from his wife. But Cheney got rich by working in business, and Edwards got rich by working as a lawyer.

The real problem is indeed the act. It never ceases to astound me how easily the Democrats can dupe their constituents on this subject by claiming that Republicans are too rich and out of touch with the unrich, when the Democrats saying this are richer than most Republicans. But they keep doing it, and people keep falling for it.

That alone is the reason why the money matters: not on its own relevance, but because of the claims they make about it, which must be refuted.

#48 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 03:19 PM

Drew, on Jul 23 2004, 08:46 PM, said:

Cyberhippie, on Jul 23 2004, 01:27 PM, said:

When Kerry showed up at a farm near here last month and tried to convince everyone that he had farm-boy roots, the collective eye-rolling was enough to cause a slight change in the tilt of the earth.

It's that sort of "I'm just like you!" stuff that disgusts me. They behave as if they can relate to the struggles of the working class, but I'm not convinced most of them ever had to work a day.
ah, that may be the difference then.

Neither Dick nor Peter (my dad's friends') ever tried to convince anyone of anything. They just did their jobs and lived for all intents normal lives.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Economy, Middle Class, Working Poor, Bill Moyers, Speech 2004

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users