• Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 10:48 AM

The Fire this Time
An Open Letter to the Democratic party.
By William J. Bennett
July 23, 2004, 8:44 a.m.

http://nationalrevie...00407230844.asp

Last Sunday, the New York Times Book Review proffered advice to you from Democratic stalwarts such as Mario Cuomo, Gary Hart, and George McGovern. They have a great degree of credibility because they have maintained their membership in your party. I was a Democrat for 22 years of my adult life and left the party but I believe I speak for many other ex-Democrats in the advice I would like to share with you.

Shortly after President Bush's inauguration, the campaign to delegitimize President Bush's presidency began: Anti-Bush bumper-stickers such as "Hail to the Thief" were in proliferation. In May of 2001, several newspapers seemingly put this issue to rest. The USA Today wrote: "George W. Bush would have won a hand count of Florida's disputed ballots if the standard advocated by Al Gore had been used, the first full study of the ballots reveals. Bush would have won by 1,665 votes more than triple his official 537-vote margin if every dimple, hanging chad and mark on the ballots had been counted as votes, a USA Today/Miami Herald/Knight Ridder study shows." Analyses by the New York Times and other news organizations reached similar conclusions. We soon got past the Florida contretemps, and then an unprecedented attack on 9/11/01 shook our nation to its core. We licked our wounds, girded our loins, and united as a nation. And then, in an effort to ensure neither we nor our allies would be attacked again, President Bush took a forward-looking stance on the war: we would disrupt and end tyrant states and terrorist havens before they could gain the footing and resources to attack us first.

After we began the liberation of Iraq, just as you were winding up for November 2004, the consensus over our national and international war efforts unwound. The personal attacks began anew, the partisanship swung far-left, bumper stickers reading "Re-Defeat Bush" appeared, and rather than propose a serious and legitimate alternative way of governing or waging the war against terrorism, you sprung serious doubt about your seriousness in the most perilous time facing this nation, perhaps since the Civil War. It is not heat you turned up in your campaign to end the Bush presidency, it is fiery hate.

Do not take my word alone. Writing in late 2003 before he joined the John Kerry campaign Democratic pollster Mark Mellman wrote, "Democrats hate George Bush....The level of animosity Bush arouses in Democrats appears unprecedented." More recently, the old-style liberal columnist Jack Germond said that Democrats are "just crazed to get Bush out of there."

The "craze" started at the top and moved down the ranks. We have heard the following from the mainstay of your leadership: In 2003, then presumptive Democratic nominee, Howard Dean (number one in the Democratic polls, number one in fundraising), opined on national radio that President Bush "was warned ahead of time" about 9/11. Asked to clarify that speculation on national television, Dean admitted he didn't believe this to be the case but "we don't know and it would be nice to know."

(concluding with)

Go back to your roots as you plan your speeches for Boston, as you prepare your campaign to replace President Bush. Re-embrace your concern for human rights abroad with your willingness to use force to defend those rights. Propose alternative foreign-policy strategies that can build off of our successes in Iraq and Afghanistan and cease labeling those successes as failures. Restore the proper and respectful role of your partisan duties with legitimate differences of opinion that do not give doubts as to your principles. In the end, let 'er rip, but do not for the sake of your party, for the sake of your country abuse your partisan role to further divide our nation, or our reputation abroad. Up until now, your demagoguery has put a primacy on the fanning of flames rather than the light a responsible use of heat should shed. Boston, the site of so much good from our country's early history, can be the site of you reclaiming so much good from your party's past. Now is the time for your new revolution; do not in your heated passion squander this moment.

Edited by Ogami, 24 July 2004 - 10:51 AM.

#2 Mr.Calgary

Mr.Calgary

Has left.

• Islander
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 01:19 PM

Now! That's a damn fine read.  :welldone:

Much better than that Moyers piece.  :sleeping:
Favourite Coda thread quotes.....

(1)  Yes. Bad Trance! Wicked, Evil Trance!

(2)  Stayed purple.   (3)  Bad, bad Trance!

(4)  Love and Blowing Things Up continue forever. The universe wins

#3 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 02:40 PM

Fortunately for Republicans, Mr. Calgary, we don't have to worry about the Democrats taking any of Bennett's advice. The hysterical anti-Bush/anti-war left has taken their entire party by the nose, and led them to the edge of the cliff.

It's going to be quite a sight when they hit those rocks in November.

If I'm wrong on this, then Joe Lieberman would have been the nominee. No, the Clinton bashers let themselves be fooled in 1996 that Dole could win. Now the Democrats are poised to do the same, to an even greater degree.

When Michael Moore and Ed Asner are the voices of reason in your party, be very worried.

-Ogami

#4 Smitty

Smitty

"If I knew what was going on I'd really be indignant.&q

• Islander
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 12:11 AM

It's amazing, the way liberals and those on the left go on about Bush is a mirror of the way that conservatives and those on the right went on about Clinton.

I see no difference between them.

-cs™

Edited by Smitty, 25 July 2004 - 12:12 AM.

#5 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 08:07 AM

There's really no similarity.

#6 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 10:00 AM

Smitty, what is a 'Hoagland'?

-Ogami

#7 Mr.Calgary

Mr.Calgary

Has left.

• Islander
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 12:01 PM

The only Hoagland I'm aware of is, Richard C. Hoagland.

Faces on Mars and such, shows up on "Coast to Coast AM"
Favourite Coda thread quotes.....

(1)  Yes. Bad Trance! Wicked, Evil Trance!

(2)  Stayed purple.   (3)  Bad, bad Trance!

(4)  Love and Blowing Things Up continue forever. The universe wins

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Politics, 2004

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users