11 replies to this topic

#1 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 08:29 AM

http://story.news.ya...n_human_cloning

The government's top science council has voted to adopt policy recommendations that would permit limited cloning of human embryos for scientific research in Japan, an official said.

Japan banned human cloning in 2001, but has permitted researchers to use human embryos that aren't produced by cloning.

The recommendations, approved Friday, would let researchers produce and use cloned human embryos, but only for basic research, said Tomohiko Arai, an official at the Cabinet's Council for Science and Technology Policy. The cloning won't be allowed for use in treating human patients.

Many scientists back human embryo cloning to obtain stem cells that can be used to reproduce damaged body tissues or organs. Stem cells are the building blocks from which all organs are formed.

The council, headed by Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi, will now ask the ministries to come up with specific guidelines, said Arai, who declined to speculate on how long that might take.

Britain and South Korea allow therapeutic cloning. The United States prohibits any kind of embryo cloning and has lobbied strongly against it.

I'm sure this decision will create all inds of problems. ;)
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#2 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 08:35 AM

Well it is bound to happen. The country that makes this work will have a led upon biotechnology. There is a vast range of possibility for this and we need to consider both the pluses and minuses to this but understand that it is going to happen.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#3 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 08:40 AM

G1223, on Jul 25 2004, 09:33 AM, said:

Well it is bound to happen. The country that makes this work will have a led upon biotechnology. There is a vast range of possibility for this and we need to consider both the pluses and minuses to this but understand that it is going to happen.
Yeah but, it still amounts to human experimentation and it's still illegal.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#4 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 08:43 AM

not in Japan anymore.

#5 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 08:54 AM

Cyberhippie, on Jul 25 2004, 09:41 AM, said:

not in Japan anymore.
Well cloning is still banned, but they can make embryos to experiment on, which is how they get around the ban. ;)

#6 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 08:55 AM

It is also a concept on the level of the space race. The nation that pulls this off will have the medical industrial lead for sometime.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#7 Uncle Sid

Uncle Sid

Highly impressionable

• Islander
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 01:05 PM

Ahh.  Making human life a commodity.  How refreshing.  And we are doing this why?  Oh yes, to make our lives better....

I genuinely laugh when I see people get upset with someone like Ashcroft and yet are perfectly happy to let something like this fly.  Cloning people for research and parts is inherently more dangerous to democracy and human rights than a nuclear bomb in the hands of terrorists.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it. - Jack Handey

#8 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 01:06 PM

out of curiosity Sid, why do you say that?

I mean, what makes human cloning so much more dangerous than terrorists armed with WMD's?

for that matter, what exactly is wrong with human cloning?

I haven't made up my mind yet as to how i feel, but i'd like people's opinions.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#9 Uncle Sid

Uncle Sid

Highly impressionable

• Islander
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 01:39 PM

Cloning itself is more dangerous than a nuke because a nuke does kill a lot of people an blights the land for a long period of time, but people will actually fight against that happening because they know it's wrong.  You can see that a terrorist is trying to remove your liberties and resist the temptation to give into laws that strip you of your rights or to fight on their level.  

The concept of human rights assigns humans certain inalienable rights sinmply based on their humanity.  Well what happens when a government linited by human rights gets the ability to re-write the definition of human?  Combine that with industrial strength exploitation of humans themselves and you have a situation that makes feudalism and slavery look positively harmless.  

I'm not against biotechnology, in fact I love the potential in new tech of all kinds.  But technology and research are amoral things that can go down roads that can advance knowledge, but also make humanity poorer in other ways.  In much the same way that industrialization has helped us in innumerable ways, but also damaged the enviroment and caused new health problems as well as the horrors of industrialized warfare.  We cannot push biotechnology forward for biotechnology's sake.  

I believe that cloning will create real benefits, but that those benefits will be tainted in much the same way.  And because cloning really cuts to the heart of who we are, the damage can be very, very dangerous.  You can kill ten million people and blight the ground for decades with a nuke, but by adopting a philosophy that accepts cloning and products of such, you blight the whole human race, and they won't even see it coming until it's too late.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it. - Jack Handey

#10 Robert Hewitt Wolfe

Robert Hewitt Wolfe
  • Demigod
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 01:40 PM

You know what....

Good for them!  Use of zygote and stem cells for medical procedures holds huge potential for improving the lives of millions of people.  I have a close friend who is suffering from the early stages of Parkinson's.  Stem cell research may be his best hope for a treatment that could make sure he lives long enough to see his grandchildren being born.  

The way the Religious Fringe (I won't even justify them with the term Right since I think it does a disservice to the Right) in this country has seized on stem cell research as an evil frankly sickens me.  It is Luddism, pure and simple.  No human lives are created or lost in stem cell research.  The area has enormous potential.  And the country that pioneers this research will reap huge profits.  

So go ahead and condemn Japan and South Korea and the UK if you'd like.  But I'm betting you'll be writing them a check for the results of this research by the time you hit sixty.

"There are monsters, there are angels...
There's a peacefulness and a rage inside us all."
----------------------------------
Voice of the Beehive

#11 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 03:02 PM

AKHCK! The old "quality of life" versus "quantity of life" thing reminds me I had forgotten to write something related in the "humanism" thread, and now I'm not sure which of the two it belongs in more...

#12 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 03:24 PM

Well, if you have the time, i'd love to have more of your thoughts in the humanism thread.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Medical Research, Human Cloning, 2004, Biology

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users