Election 2004 John Kerry poll

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 12:46 AM

That it's true. I just don't understand people sometimes...

Voters Want More Specifics From Kerry; Poll Shows Democrat Losing Ground to Bush

By Richard Morin and Claudia Deane
Washington Post Staff Writers
Tuesday, July 27, 2004; Page A01

A majority of voters say they know little about John F. Kerry's positions on key issues and want the Democratic presidential candidate to detail specific plans for handling the economy, Iraq and the war on terrorism when he addresses the Democratic National Convention and a nationally televised audience on Thursday, according to a new Washington Post-ABC News poll.

The survey suggests that the stakes for Kerry and the Democrats as they began their convention in Boston could not be higher. In barely a month, Kerry has lost ground to President Bush on every top voting issue in this year's election.

A growing proportion of voters say Bush and not Kerry is the candidate who most closely shares their values, and four in 10 believe the Democrat is "too liberal." Bush has even narrowed the gap on which candidate better understands their problems, an area in which Kerry has led.

The poll suggests that negative ads by the Bush-Cheney campaign that have been airing since early March, as well as attacks by Republican officials, have been increasingly successful in planting the image of Kerry as an unreliable leader who flip-flops on the issues -- perceptions that Democrats will work hard to reverse at their convention.

Cheryl Utley, 43, of Lowell, Mich., would seem to be exactly the kind of voter Kerry is targeting this week. Utley, a restaurant worker, is an independent living in a battleground state. She is leaning toward Bush even though she has supported Democrats more often than she has Republicans. "I have more of a sense of where he stands on things than Kerry," she said.

Utley wants Kerry and the Democratic Party to talk about domestic issues, specifically education and "what they plan on doing about health care for middle-income or lower-income people."

"I have to face the fact that I will never be able to have health insurance, the way things are now. And these millionaires don't seem to address that," she said.

And you want to hear the weirdest thing? More and more people think Bush is doing a bad job, but they'll still vote for him:

The survey found that Kerry and Bush remain virtually deadlocked, with 48 percent of registered voters supporting Bush and 46 percent Kerry. Independent candidate Ralph Nader claims 3 percent of the hypothetical vote. Kerry held a four-point lead over Bush in mid-June and was tied with Bush in a Post survey two weeks ago.

Kerry has slipped even though Bush remains unpopular with many Americans. Currently half of Americans approve of the job he is doing as president and 47 percent disapprove. Fewer than half endorse the way he is managing the economy, the situation in Iraq and health care. More broadly, a majority of Americans -- 53 percent -- say they are dissatisfied with the way things are going in the country, a 21-point increase since Saddam Hussein's government fell to U.S. forces 15 months ago.

As John Stewart might say.... Whaaa? :blink:
Per aspera ad astra

#2 Rommie's Ronin

Rommie's Ronin

Out Of The Silent Planet

• Islander
  • 815 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 01:56 AM

It's the old adage "Better the devil you know than the devil you don't."
"Sure I wave the American flag. Do you know a better flag to wave? Sure I love my country with all her faults. I'm not ashamed of that, never have been and never will be." ---John Wayne

http://www.smokingse...n.com/swafr.htm

#3 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 03:25 AM

I have to admit, surveys right now don't mean a great deal imo, a week before the election, the surveys will start to become interesting./

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#4 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 07:53 AM

Kevin Street, on Jul 28 2004, 12:44 AM, said:

That it's true. I just don't understand people sometimes...
What don't you understand?
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#5 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 09:37 AM

Kevin:  That it's true. I just don't understand people sometimes...
Yeah I can't understand why some people were attracted to Kerry at the start. :)

Kevin: And you want to hear the weirdest thing? More and more people think Bush is doing a bad job, but they'll still vote for him:
You can vote for the guy who has been doing an "eh" job or vote for the guy who looks like a train wreck waiting to happen.  Hmmm tough choice.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#6 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 10:16 AM

They will vote for Bush becasue all Kerry can say is "I'd do it Differently." They want details and he will not give them. His  comments about Iraq A larger group of Allies. Is he meaning waiting till France and Germany were done getting their fill on with Oil For Cash program? That position would cost him votes just as waiting till the UN green lights action would.  So he answers "Differently" and hopes it tells the folks wanting the above events to happen  that "Yes he is wanting these things to so vote for him" and trying to tell the folks it would cost him the votes of "He is not going to go that far before taking action."

In short he is lying to at least one of these groups and cannot come out for fear it will cost him a LOT.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#7 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 10:17 AM

They will vote for Bush becasue all Kerry can say is "I'd do it Differently." They want details and he will not give them. His  comments about Iraq A larger group of Allies. Is he meaning waiting till France and Germany were done getting their fill on with Oil For Cash program? That position would cost him votes just as waiting till the UN green lights action would.  So he answers "Differently" and hopes it tells the folks wanting the above events to happen  that "Yes he is wanting these things to so vote for him" and trying to tell the folks it would cost him the votes of "He is not going to go that far before taking action."

In short he is lying to at least one of these groups and cannot come out for fear it will cost him a LOT.

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

#8 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 11:44 AM

I seriously hope Kerry's acceptance speech raises his polling numbers.

The Democrat strategy up to this point has been simple: Don't let Kerry speak, don't let Kerry be the face and voice of the party, let his surrogates attack Bush and the war on terror. Now they have to let him speak, the American people are going to see this man for who he is.

Is that an appealing candidate for president? That's the big question this week.

-Ogami

#9 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 09:05 PM

The Democrat strategy up to this point has been simple: Don't let Kerry speak, don't let Kerry be the face and voice of the party,

It's probably better that they let him speak than that they let Teresa Heinz-Kerry speak. Why does she have to speak all 5 of her languages so slowly, speak in all 5 of them in one speech, and sound as if she belongs back in the 1960s? Or would letting John speak be even worse than letting Teresa speak? Good grief... :blink:
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#10 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 09:18 PM

I'll be blatantly honset here--I *do not* like Kerry. but I'm still leaning in his general direction, as I'm simply appalled by Bush's policies.

It is a case of "the devil you know" vs. "the devil you don't".  I'll tell you flat out, I'm not going to be satisfied with either candidate . . . it's simply a matter of which one I can tolerate more . . . which, for the moment--is Kerry.  But I do agree w/ the general feeling that he needs to lay out more specifics about what he intends to do if elected to office.  If he can answer those questions satisfactorally, he's got my vote.

-Nick

#11 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 10:30 PM

Nick this is not an attack. Tolerate him. How? He has said one of two things He'd have done the same things Bush did but differently. Or I'd have done it differently.

We know NOTHING at all about his polices  we jsut know he's not Bush but would do the same things. How is the devil different?

TANSTAAFL

#12 aphrael

aphrael
  • Islander
  • 282 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 07:53 AM

snipped

G1223, on Jul 28 2004, 09:28 PM, said:

we jsut know he's not Bush
That's reason enough to vote for Kerry

#13 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 08:30 AM

Aphrael wrote:

That's reason enough to vote for Kerry

That sort of "support" is precisely why Kerry will lose. No one can say anything about Kerry they like or find appealing. It's just "anyone but Bush" for the Democrats.

That's just got to make John Kerry feel so good, such enthusiasm for his ideas and policies! (chuckle)

-Ogami

#14 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 08:52 AM

Actually, what worries me more is the possibility that he'll be elected without a positive platform.

I know you are convinced ti won't happen Ogami, but think for a second what happens if Kerry manages to win, and has no specific platform in place.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#15 Anna

Anna

Island Native

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 09:21 AM

^ Well, on the bright side, he's got no campaign promises to break. :hehe:

Anna
Seldom do we regret words we do not speak.

--------------

Amendment X: The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

#16 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 09:31 AM

snort, yeah 'But i didn't promise anything' isn't much of a battle cry though.

Defy Gravity!

#17 Anna

Anna

Island Native

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 09:35 AM

Cyberhippie, on Jul 29 2004, 08:29 AM, said:

snort, yeah 'But i didn't promise anything' isn't much of a battle cry though.
Well, yeah. But he's just being consistent, isn't he? :D

(Edited to add a smilie. Don't want anyone to think this is too serious. ;))

Edited by Anna, 29 July 2004 - 09:37 AM.

--------------

Amendment X: The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

#18 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 09:37 AM

so basically you feel he's being decisivly indecisive?

Defy Gravity!

#19 Anna

Anna

Island Native

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 09:43 AM

Cyberhippie, on Jul 29 2004, 08:35 AM, said:

so basically you feel he's being decisivly indecisive?
These are just my personal feelings on the man. I didn't know much about him until recently, even though he's been in the Senate for years. (I did know he was a Ted Kennedy-type Democrat, and therefore ignored him.) I think that he got in this game because he thought it might be a cool gig to run. I don't think he expected to be in front of guys like Gephardt, and to a certain extent once that train starting gaining steam, Dean. I think at this point he's just as surprised as a lot of people that he's really running for President. And now finding that he really has to define himself, his policies and all the rest. I don't think he really gave it much thought before now, since the anti-Bush policy was all that was needed before.

But, this is solely my opinion. While I don't think he's indecisive exactly, I don't think he's ever really been called on to make a cohesive point, or a cohesive plan. Not sure if that makes sense.

Anna

Edited by Anna, 29 July 2004 - 10:16 AM.

--------------

#20 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 09:49 AM

Makes a lot of sense actually.

In England, I had never even heard the name John Kerry prior to his being part of the presidential elections. For that matter, Howard Dean notwithstanding, none of the candidates were people i'd ever seen on British TV.

Defy Gravity!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Election 2004, John Kerry, poll

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users