8 replies to this topic

#1 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 06:29 AM

http://www.newsbbc.co.uk

A top female doctor has warned the medical profession's influence could be damaged by the number of women choosing to be medics.
Women doctors are expected to outnumber men within a decade.

But Professor Carol Black, president of the Royal College of Physicians, told the Independent that could affect how the medical profession was seen.

She said she believed female-dominated professions such as teaching no longer saw themselves as "powerful".

Professor Black added: "In Russia, medicine is an almost entirely female profession.

"They are paid less and they are almost ignored by government. They have lost influence as a body that had competency, skills and a professional ethic.

"They have become just another part of the workforce. It is a case of downgrading professionalism."

Professor Black warned many women avoided more "demanding" areas such as cardiology.

She said medicine had to face up to the problem and find ways of helping women doctors balance work and family.

She said such as late night meetings would simply not be possible for women with children, unless they were given extra support with childcare and flexible hours.

"I think most women, although not all, want the opportunity to have a family.

"That may mean they won't perhaps be able to be as flexible as men who don't in a post."

I'm not quite sure what it is about this article, but something in the article just me me go huh?

thoughts?

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#2 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 07:39 AM

I can't find the article?
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#3 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 07:42 AM

sierraleone, on Aug 2 2004, 01:37 PM, said:

I can't find the article?
sorry, sometimes it doesn't give the full adress.

go to the button labelled 'health' on the left hand side. It should be the first article :)

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#4 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 10:28 AM

^ lost this thread for a while. Clicked on health, still can't find any article about feminizing medicine or female doctors in general. Maybe I'm too late? Aids, IVF, Conjoined twins, looked through the other top stories, nothing seems to point to that topic....
Interestingly, found an article about Chinese plastic-surgery Beauty Contests....

- Masha Gessen

#5 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 10:59 AM

http://news.bbc.co.u...lth/3527184.stm

finally found a good link

:)

Defy Gravity!

#6 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 11:49 AM

Thanks :) Even if everything in that article is true, some of it is being made more of a problem than it should be, or it is hardly the fault of women entering medicine.

For instant, the idea that having more women praticing medicine will somehow lessen its respect. That is a problem w/ people's *perception* of women and men, a part of our culture, and as have in the past we need to push those boundaries to change minds.

As for woman not wanting highly placed positions because of trying to balance family and career. Probably true. Though I know a doctor lady that husband works in the contruction, and he is the one staying at home while the kids are babes ;) :) Though that doesn't mean that the doctor still doesn't want to have to work overtime, or late nights and things because she herself doesn't still want a connection and time w/ her children. Honestly haven't asked her though.

Though I understand the higher you go in an organization the more they expect you to devote your time to it, Personally I'm sick of most jobs saying you should act like your job is your life and thats it ;) :) Recently I got an email at work, and paraphrasing it said:

Please if you have a doctors appointment bring in a note, but also tell us more than 2 weeks in advanced so we can work around it.
And always tried to schedule your appointments w/ your schedule in mind.

At work, we don't know what our schedule is past two weeks 90 % of the time. How the heck am I suppose to schedule an appointment w/ some place with my schedule in mind, if I don't know my schedule, and they won't let us know more than two weeks in advance????

Erg, anyways, getting off topic...

:D

Our society is going through a lot of changes regarding women going into the work force, I don't think its a bad thing. If men could carry children, it'd be different ;) But we're not going to be able to change nature. Only a few women are going to either consider not having children, or having children and not want an active role in upbringing them. Probably a combination of culture and genetics, but either way, I don't really care.

- Masha Gessen

#7 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 11:51 AM

It's bad enough to encounter men who are hell bent on "un powering" women but when WOMEN do it it's just...well it's just sad.

:(

Lil
Posted Image

#8 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 12:53 PM

Una Salus Lillius, on Aug 5 2004, 04:49 PM, said:

It's bad enough to encounter men who are hell bent on "un powering" women but when WOMEN do it it's just...well it's just sad.

:(

Lil
So very Schafly of her.   :(

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#9 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 04:20 PM

That's exactly what I was thinking.  It's really a shame.

Lil
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Medicine, Females in medicine, 2004

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users