#21 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 09:55 PM

Ogami, on Aug 4 2004, 10:47 PM, said:

DWF wrote:

It's too bad that Mrs Bush isn't running, she'd probably appeal to more voters than her husband.

She is running, for First Lady. Eight years of Queen Hillary was bad enough, Empress Teresa I can do without.

-Ogami
Well, I'll agree when she accepts the nomination at the convention, until then, I won't say she's running for any kind of office. And since Kerry's already accepted the Democratic nomination, I'd say Hilary isn't running for office of any kind either and never reallly did. ;)
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#22 Caretaker

Caretaker
  • Islander
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 09:15 AM

[sarcasm]Oh... my... God.   Jenna Bush stuck her tounge out? It's the end of the world![/sarcasm]
[sarcasm]Teresa Heinz-Kerry spoke her mind? Whatever will we do?[/sarcasm]

Aren't there more important things going on? Jenna is a young, wild lady, doing what young, wild ladies do.  And Teresa doesn't bow down to the media.  Who cares? If I were in their places, I probably would have done the same thing.

#23 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 09:42 AM

Caretaker, on Aug 5 2004, 08:13 AM, said:

The fact that she spoke her mind is not the issue. The fact that she then immediately claimed not to have said what she'd said in front of everybody is.

Teresa doesn't bow down to the media.  Who cares? If I were in their places, I probably would have done the same thing.
So giving an explanation of something you've said in public when you're asked for one, or even just plain not denying that you said it in the first place, would be "bowing down"? And you would pretend not to have said something that everybody knows you did say?

#24 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 11:01 AM

Jenna, is that the underage drinking one or the other one?  Or was it just that only one of them was caught?  And wasn't Laura in the car with her husband when he got the DUI all those years ago?  Too ladylike, perhaps, to grab the keys?  I'm not impressed with these women, not at all.  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#25 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 12:14 PM

Jenna is the blond, Barbara is the brunette.

both Bush brats have gotten in trouble several times for breaking the drinking law--recently found my magazine on this.

what i just loved about the article was some family friend throwing a fit abt the manager of the Mexican restaurant calling the cops abt the stolen ID Barbara used, saying they were "out to get these girls".  uh no....he was doing his job.  i doubt he cared that it was the President's children.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#26 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 12:39 PM

Cheile, on Aug 5 2004, 05:12 PM, said:

Jenna is the blond, Barbara is the brunette.

both Bush brats have gotten in trouble several times for breaking the drinking law--recently found my magazine on this.

what i just loved about the article was some family friend throwing a fit abt the manager of the Mexican restaurant calling the cops abt the stolen ID Barbara used, saying they were "out to get these girls".  uh no....he was doing his job.  i doubt he cared that it was the President's children.
The Bushes seem to think that laws about drinking and driving, underage drinking and drug use apply to everybody else but them.  Aren't there people jailed in Texas and Florida for committing crimes similar to those committed by the girls and their cousins?  

Nonny
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#27 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 09:21 PM

Nonny, on Aug 5 2004, 10:37 AM, said:

The Bushes seem to think that laws about drinking and driving, underage drinking and drug use apply to everybody else but them.  Aren't there people jailed in Texas and Florida for committing crimes similar to those committed by the girls and their cousins?
the GIRLS might think that but the parents dun approve of it.  it was implied that both got a serious ass chewing.

i know that it was Barbara's first offense (passing a stolen ID--they never got the drinks) so she did get off lighter than Jenna--it was Jenna's third, i think.

and what's with the drug use mention?  this case was only abt alcohol.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#28 GiGi

GiGi

Lipstick wearing PIG kisser!

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 09:44 PM

Cheile, on Aug 5 2004, 07:19 PM, said:

See Bush, George W.

Cocaine use.

Whatever.... The problem I see is that people want politicians and their famiilies to be saints.  Not ever going to happen.  Me, I would settle for them being treated in the same way the rest of us are.  No special favors, or sealed records because they are political royality (that goes for Kennedys as well as Bushs, etc.)
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#29 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 09:58 PM

Edited by Delvo, 05 August 2004 - 10:02 PM.

#30 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 10:02 PM

GiGi, on Aug 5 2004, 08:42 PM, said:

See Bush, George W.

Cocaine use.
See propaganda, Democrat.

False groundless accusation.

What really happened was that they kept asking the question and he wouldn't answer it, to make a point about what a ludicrous question it was in the first place... and they made lots of noise about it... and then they stopped. Why? Because they'd gone to his doctor and asked HIM if there were any medical signs of cocaine use, and the answer was no... which wasn't the answer they wanted, so they hid it and tried to keep the whole thing quiet since then so nobody would notice that yet another of their accusations had bumped into that wall called "truth" that keeps getting in Democrats' way.

#31 GiGi

GiGi

Lipstick wearing PIG kisser!

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 10:41 PM

^hmmm, sort of like Bush's service records?
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#32 Caretaker

Caretaker
  • Islander
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 10:50 PM

Cheile, on Aug 5 2004, 08:19 PM, said:

Nonny, on Aug 5 2004, 10:37 AM, said:

The Bushes seem to think that laws about drinking and driving, underage drinking and drug use apply to everybody else but them.  Aren't there people jailed in Texas and Florida for committing crimes similar to those committed by the girls and their cousins?
the GIRLS might think that but the parents dun approve of it.  it was implied that both got a serious ass chewing.

i know that it was Barbara's first offense (passing a stolen ID--they never got the drinks) so she did get off lighter than Jenna--it was Jenna's third, i think.

It's the Bush twins, though.  Nothing surprises me about them.  I've heard things about Jenna's college years...

#33 Caretaker

Caretaker
  • Islander
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 10:52 PM

Delvo, on Aug 5 2004, 08:40 AM, said:

Caretaker, on Aug 5 2004, 08:13 AM, said:

The fact that she spoke her mind is not the issue. The fact that she then immediately claimed not to have said what she'd said in front of everybody is.

Teresa doesn't bow down to the media.  Who cares? If I were in their places, I probably would have done the same thing.
So giving an explanation of something you've said in public when you're asked for one, or even just plain not denying that you said it in the first place, would be "bowing down"? And you would pretend not to have said something that everybody knows you did say?
I just meant about speaking one's mind, especially given she was in a high-pressure situation.  I mean, we've all said and done things we shouldn't have in the heat of the moment.

As for denying, well, that's a political thing.  It depends on what the definition of denying is and what the definition of truth is.  :p  :D

#34 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 11:06 PM

GiGi, on Aug 5 2004, 09:39 PM, said:

^hmmm, sort of like Bush's service records?
Yes, good example: another case of Democrats whipping up something to make a huge deal about and then suddenly hushing it after found records and eye-witnesses proved they were lying once again.

Now you're getting the hang of this. ;)

#35 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 12:06 PM

Cheile, on Aug 6 2004, 02:19 AM, said:

I was thinking about the cousin in Florida, the one whose mugshot looks like Hugh Grant's.  She was in rehab, was scoring something from outside, but the governor claimed it was a family matter, told the press to back off.  It's not a private matter for the folks whose kids go to jail instead of to rehab!  

Nonny
Posted Image

#36 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 12:07 PM

GiGi, on Aug 6 2004, 02:42 AM, said:

Me, I would settle for them being treated in the same way the rest of us are.  No special favors, or sealed records because they are political royality (that goes for Kennedys as well as Bushs, etc.)
Amen to that!  

Nonny
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Election 2004, Laura Bush, Jenna Bush, Press

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users