• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 02:15 PM

This article in today's USA Today highlights a number of new anti-Bush titles that'll be rolling off the presses before the November election.

Excerpt:

After books critical of President Bush, including Richard Clarke's Against All Enemies and Ron Suskind's The Price of Loyalty, topped the best-seller lists this year, Bush joked to reporters: "It really gets me when the critics say I haven't done enough for the economy. Look what I've done for the book publishing industry."

I'm glad he can joke about it. Having recently visited our nearby Borders I was shocked at the number of anti-Bush books filling the shelves in front of the store. The ratio was probably in the neighborhood of 20 anti-Bush books for every 1 Dem-bashing book. Actually, I only saw 1 Dem-bashing book: Hugh Hewitt's "If it's Not Close They Can't Cheat." I think there are a couple others out there right now, but our local Borders didn't think they were worth highlighting, I guess.

In the first half of the year, publishers released at least 25 books bashing Bush. And that was just the first wave. By Election Day, there will be about 50 more.

Some are as tough on the media as on Bush's decision to go to war in Iraq. They include All the President's Spin by the editors of Spinsanity.org (out this week), which critiques "the most aggressive White House PR team ever assembled," and James Wolcott's Attack Poodles and Other Media Mutants (Aug. 25), which describes Bill O'Reilly and other TV commentators as "watchdogs for George Bush, tail-waggers for war."

In 25 years in publishing, "I've never seen anything like this, in terms of the volume and energy of books attacking a sitting president in an election year," says Jeff Zaleski, an editor at Publishers Weekly.

The barrage is "unprecedented," says Brad Miner, former literary editor of The National Review who runs American Compass, a book club aimed at conservatives.

Although Miner says most book editors are liberal, he sees the books less as a left-wing conspiracy than as a result of the disputed 2000 vote count. That "energized the left" even more than the Clinton administration energized the right in the '90s and inspired conservative best sellers, he says.

Will books affect votes?

"I suspect many will be bought by people who never intended to vote for Bush," Miner says. "What we don't know: What are the undecideds reading?"

The article lists five more books scheduled out soon, and this:

There's even a novel, Checkpoint (Aug. 10), in which a character discusses assassinating Bush. He doesn't, but author Nicholson Baker says he wrote it "because a lot of people felt a kind of powerless seething fury when President Bush took the country to war."

Geez . . .

If I was the conspiracy-minded sort, I might suggest a vast left-wing conspiracy by the Media Gatekeepers.

Happily, these books will all be on the remaindered shelf for 99 cents in just a few short months.
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#2 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 02:29 PM

If they find a market it would say interesting things about the american people.

#3 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 02:41 PM

Here's the Bestselling Hardcover Non-fiction for this week, according to Publisher's Weekly.

Top book: "My Life," by Bill Clinton, which probably has much crossover appeal. At Number 7 is the anonymously written "Imperial Hubris" and further down the list is "What's the Matter with Kansas?" Not sure how that skews, but from the title alone it seems to be anti-Conservative, at least.

More telling, perhaps, is the list of Non-fiction titles borrowed from libraries. Seven of the top 15 are anti-Bush. Not a pro-Bush title among them.

But at least they're not being sold--just borrowed.  :cool:
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#4 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 02:43 PM

What IS the matter with Kansas, anyway? Just askin... ;) :angel:

HM07

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#5 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 02:50 PM

The New York Times Hardcover Non-fiction list also puts "My Life" on top, with "Imperial Hubris" at #5. Then Sen. Robert Byrd's "Losing America" at #9. "What's the Matter with Kansas?" at #10. "Who Let the Dogs In?" by hatemonger Molly Ivins at #14.

Finally, at #15 we have "Michael Moore is a Big Fat Stupid White Man" and Hugh Hewitt's "If It's Not Close They Can't Cheat" at #16.

Note: the title of #15 is a play on Al Franken's "Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Stupid Idiot" and Michael Moore's "Stupid White Men," just to remind everyone which side stooped to name-calling first. :cool:

#6 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 02:58 PM

Drew, on Aug 4 2004, 12:13 PM, said:

I'm glad he can joke about it. Having recently visited our nearby Borders I was shocked at the number of anti-Bush books filling the shelves in front of the store. The ratio was probably in the neighborhood of 20 anti-Bush books for every 1 Dem-bashing book...
Why does this shock you? The Republicans are the ones who are currently in power and making the decisions, so they're the ones people are writing about. If the Democrats win the Presidency and make significant gains in the house and senate, then you'll probably see an increase in books that criticize them.

And imo, books that take a critical stand toward the president aren't necessarily anti-Bush. Sometimes they moght be written in the sense of helpful criticism and discussion. Not everyone has an agenda.

These days? There's not enough water and too many young people are fleeing the state to find better jobs elsewhere. But that's a matter for another thread... ;)

#7 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 03:01 PM

What I want to know is who would buy a book with these inflammatory titles?  Does anyone expect to actually learn anything by reading something so polemic?  Does anyone actually trust the information so gained?

I agree with the publishers - people who buy these books already have their minds made up.  I can't imagine an undecided like myself reading any of these.

HM07

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#8 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 03:11 PM

Incidentally, "Imperial Hubris" is a book that's worth checking out. It's written by a 22 year vetran of the CIA, and has some interesting things to say about the War On Terror. I've only read a couple of sections, and don't agree with a lot of what he says, but you can't deny that the man has a unique perspective.

#9 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 03:24 PM

Kevin Street, on Aug 4 2004, 02:56 PM, said:

Drew, on Aug 4 2004, 12:13 PM, said:

I'm glad he can joke about it. Having recently visited our nearby Borders I was shocked at the number of anti-Bush books filling the shelves in front of the store. The ratio was probably in the neighborhood of 20 anti-Bush books for every 1 Dem-bashing book...
Why does this shock you? The Republicans are the ones who are currently in power and making the decisions, so they're the ones people are writing about. If the Democrats win the Presidency and make significant gains in the house and senate, then you'll probably see an increase in books that criticize them.
No, I don't think so. Certainly there were anti-Clinton books in the 90s, but they were never given the shelf space or promotion that these anti-Bush books are. Rather, they were treated as nutball conspiracy theories by right-wing loonies. (And let's face it--a number of them were just that.) But I've never seen anything like this current onslaught. And apparently neither has Publisher's Weekly.

#10 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 03:25 PM

Kevin Street, on Aug 4 2004, 03:09 PM, said:

It's written by a 22 year vetran of the CIA, . . .
How do we know? He's "anonymous." It could just be Joe Klein again. You're too trusting.  :cool:

Edited by Drew, 04 August 2004 - 03:25 PM.

#11 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 03:47 PM

It's sort of an open secret that "Anonymous" is really Michael Scheuer. He was one of the guys hunting for Bin Laden, and has had a number of high level positions in the CIA.

#12 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 03:51 PM

Kevin Street, on Aug 4 2004, 03:45 PM, said:

It's sort of an open secret that "Anonymous" is really Michael Scheuer.
That's what they want you to think.  :cool:

#13 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 04:30 PM

Handmaiden07, on Aug 4 2004, 12:41 PM, said:

HM07
:lol:.

The book carefully explains that Kansas SHOULD be voting democratic, and essentially concludes that only ignorance or stupidity accounts for the GOP's strong showing in that state. The book, obviously, expands the thesis to include other heartland states.

The main flaw of the book is this: It largely ignores the fact that people have interests which aren't economic... and that people don't always WANT the government's charity. It's like trying to predict how people will behave if their only motivation is monetary gain, then acting shocked when your predictions are wrong...
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#14 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 09:58 PM

Drew wrote:

This article in today's USA Today highlights a number of new anti-Bush titles that'll be rolling off the presses before the November election.

How can this be, Drew? Shortly after 9/11, we read dozens upon dozens of fretful articles by concerned liberals that there was a "chilling effect" on free speech in our country. Bush and Cheney have silenced America to pursue their diabolical agenda, isn't that what we were told? Who has been silenced here?

Another Holy Writ of the Religious Left bites the dust.

-Ogami

#15 Jid

Jid

Mad Prophet of Funk

• Islander
  • 12,554 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 10:30 PM

After books critical of President Bush, including Richard Clarke's Against All Enemies

I find this part kind of amusing.  While it was critical of Bush, it was also critical of Clinton, Bush Sr, and Reagan.  Hardly what I'd call a Bush-bashing novel.

(I have no interest in smear-novels.)

#16 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 11:30 PM

Kevin Street said:

Incidentally, "Imperial Hubris" is a book that's worth checking out.

I'd agree, especially after I learned that this CIA "Anonymous" was the same CIA "Anonymous" who wrote a post-9/11 book called Through Our Enemies' Eyes: Osama Bin Laden, Radical Islam, and the Future of America. If someone wants to fantasize that either book is automatically "anti-conservative", fine, go right ahead, but what if he's written something worth reading? Oh, of course, it's because he's anonymous, and therefore probably Joe (oops, first typed Joke!) Klein. Sure.

Drew said:

hatemonger Molly Ivins

Strange, Ivins has never really seemed that much like a hatemonger to me. More like a loud-mouthed Texan gal with a scathingly sarcastic sense of humor. But then, Ogami has a scathingly sarcastic sense of humor. Are we supposed to call him a hatemonger, too? For that matter, *I'm* far too sarcastic for my own good, and so is Drew. I guess we're *all* hatemongers. ;)
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#17 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 06:11 AM

Norville, on Aug 4 2004, 10:28 PM, said:

Kevin Street said:

Incidentally, "Imperial Hubris" is a book that's worth checking out.

I'd agree... If someone wants to fantasize that either book is automatically "anti-conservative", fine, go right ahead, but what if he's written something worth reading?
The standard way that any political or terrorism-related book is reviewed and presented is for the press to find the parts they like and talk about them a lot so the book appears to be about nothing but that. They know only a small fraction of the population will ever really read the books, but they're hoping to give everyone else the general impression that there's so much stuff against the right that it must be coming from how bad the right really is.

#18 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 08:05 AM

Norville, on Aug 4 2004, 11:28 PM, said:

Strange, Ivins has never really seemed that much like a hatemonger to me. More like a loud-mouthed Texan gal with a scathingly sarcastic sense of humor.
I don't know about the humor part ... but Ivins has had a weird fixation with Bush since long before he became President. It's as if she can't write about anything else. It's certainly obsessive.

#19 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 08:50 AM

Handmaiden07, on Aug 4 2004, 03:59 PM, said:

What I want to know is who would buy a book with these inflammatory titles?  Does anyone expect to actually learn anything by reading something so polemic?  Does anyone actually trust the information so gained?
I wouldn't go so far as to say people are reading these books to educate themselves--they're reading them to entertain themselves.  Even though these books are "non-fiction" (but they're really just long editorials, IMHO) they're amusing narratives.  People can read them and laugh, be outraged, cry, be frightened, etc. . . The whole purpose of entertainment is to feel something.  Few people going to read history textbooks or math books or instruction manuals unless they have to . . . in fact, even less so, since many of us already have read tons of those books BECAUSE we had to in school or for our jobs.  Besides, they're often boring. . . since they're aiming to teach rather than entertain.

I don't think it says much of anything about the American people, except that many of them are reading political stuff rather than . . . say . . . Science fiction novels. (the stupid heads!) ;)

-Nick

#20 Anna

Anna

Island Native

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 09:02 AM

In the first half of the year, publishers released at least 25 books bashing Bush. And that was just the first wave. By Election Day, there will be about 50 more.
To add on to what Nick says... Get thee to the Science Fiction section! *Does Trance JMT to all the people who buy this crap*

Enough already! Is it freakin' election day yet?? Actually, is it December yet? Maybe then the election post-mortems will be over, too... :crazy:

Anna
Seldom do we regret words we do not speak.

--------------

Amendment X: The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Election 2004, Bush, Anti-Bush Books

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users