• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Caretaker

Caretaker
  • Islander
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 08:48 PM

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/5613296/

“Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we,” Bush said. “They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.”

White House spokesman Scott McClellan said Bush’s misstatement “just shows even the most straightforward and plain-spoken people misspeak.”

“But the American people know this president speaks with clarity and conviction, and the terrorists know by his actions he means it,” McClellan said.

Hey, while I dislike Bush as our president - I can't argue with the fact that he really does make me laugh on occassion.  I just hope John Kerry can do funny, too.

#2 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 09:33 PM

LOL :D
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#3 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 09:36 PM

I'm sorry... it shouldn't be funny but I'm trying not to laugh at it...
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#4 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 09:57 PM

What's wrong here? Aren't our security people SUPPOSED to be trying to anticipate potential attacks?

#5 Jid

Jid

Mad Prophet of Funk

• Islander
  • 12,554 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 10:02 PM

I think the joke is

“They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.”

Which implies America is out to harm itself ;)

#6 JadziaDax

JadziaDax

E.I.'s resident insomniac

• Islander
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 10:23 PM

I wonder if Bush failed English.....

..........probably :p.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

#7 Gina

Gina

Crazy Theory Bender

• Islander
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 10:38 PM

:hehe: Just think before you speak in the future, Prez. :p
Shiney Happy Pod Person #90

Lets see if I can get this....

Harperchondriac, Bekaneer, Argosy, No. 2 Assassin, Lost faction person, and Trancer, I do beleive

#8 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 10:43 PM

Jid, on Aug 6 2004, 03:00 AM, said:

I think the joke is

“They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.”

Which implies America is out to harm itself ;)
And as Delvo said it can also mean he and others are trying to find ways this country can be attacked so as to prevent it.

But of course it's easier to think he is stupid than deal with what he meant.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#9 Jid

Jid

Mad Prophet of Funk

• Islander
  • 12,554 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 10:44 PM

^ His meaning doesn't change the fact that it's a funny way to parse the sentence - and if there's anything I think politics needs more of, it's humour ;)

#10 Caretaker

Caretaker
  • Islander
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 10:47 PM

G1223, relax.  Even the president is not immune from being razzed (although some of us think he deserves it rightly so, more than others).  We know what he meant - but it's funnier the other way.  I think my mom said it best the other day when she said that Bush always comes off better when he has it written down by his staffers and speechwriters rather than improvising.  He can't do improv very well, I'm afraid.

Although, seeing him on Whose Line Is it Anyway? might be fun...

#11 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 10:52 PM

Jid did you hear the wording in contex?

I didn't I can see him saying he and the whole of the security  agencies of the US are looking at what they could miss in a attack.

But smearing the President is ok to do.

Well I guess I can get into the mean spirited humor of the event.

edited becasue I got the point across.

Edited by G1223, 05 August 2004 - 10:59 PM.

If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#12 Jid

Jid

Mad Prophet of Funk

• Islander
  • 12,554 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 10:55 PM

Okay G, you can go around comparing a humourour twist of language, to insinuating someone's a blood thirsty monster all you like.

I'm just going to let this be, because it's just not something worth arguing over.

#13 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 07:24 AM

Caretaker titled the thread:

Bush says the the enemy is us , Another Bushism for the list

"The the"? What is a "the the"?

I think if you're going to make a thread on Bush mangling words, you'd better spellcheck your own writing real good beforehand.  :whistle:

-Ogami

#14 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 08:39 AM

I had Imus on this morning, they were making fun of the clip. They also had a white house guy on, and the question was "What did he mean to say there". The guy went on to explain what he thought.

G1223. Sadly it did sound like that was what he was saying, it was just a mistake, but it sounded so bad that it got some air time.
Can't Touch This!!

#15 Rhys

Rhys

... a learning experience.

• Islander
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 08:52 AM

Jid, you've got to remember this is US politics, not Canadian politics.  How many Canadian politicians have you seen give interview time to "This Hour Has 22 Minutes" (for you non-Canadians, a show that satirizes news/current events), and how likely do you think a US politician would be to do something similar?

Rhys
"It's easy to bond over hating something together - The Internet is total proof of that." Cyd/Codex, The Guild

Change the world!  No one can do everything, but everyone can do something.

#16 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 12:36 PM

JadziaDax, on Aug 6 2004, 03:21 AM, said:

I wonder if Bush failed English.....

..........probably :p.
I bet he got a social pass.  He got into Yale somehow.  Oh yeah, legacy.  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#17 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 12:37 PM

Caretaker, on Aug 6 2004, 01:46 AM, said:

“Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we,” Bush said. “They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.”
  :lol:  I love a good semantic ambiguity, and this is one of the best.   :hehe:

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#18 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 08:03 PM

Delvo, on Aug 5 2004, 06:55 PM, said:

What's wrong here? Aren't our security people SUPPOSED to be trying to anticipate potential attacks?
How about terminally poor English and a mouth and brain that can't seem to cross-connect? Take your pick.  ;)

The way it's worded, the English says outright that we never stop looking for ways to harm ourselves. Hello?  :crazy:
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#19 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 08:47 PM

The sentence is perfectly logical. I hope they're constantly thinking about ways in which America could be harmed. On a literal level, there's nothing wrong with it.

But yeah, that was amazingly poor phrasing. I wonder if that was an improv?
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#20 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 08:56 PM

^^^kind of funny how, the last three letters of the word improv, is rov. ;)  :whistle:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bush, Bush-isms, 2004

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users