• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 Chakotay

Chakotay

For gosh sakes let me out of here!

• Islander
  • 6,657 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 02:39 AM

I agree, it does make perfect sense. Just as terrorists are always thinking of ways to get at us, so our security forces are also thinking of ways the terrorists might try to get at us....

He may not be everyone's idea of a good Pres, but he isn't a complete idiot.
  No plan survives first contact with the enemy - military axiom.

#22 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,137 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 06:25 PM

Everyone accidentally words things in a funny way from time to time, especially public figures, and we as citizens must never cease our incessant mocking of them. :D

-Nick

#23 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 09:55 PM

*sigh* I long for a President who doesn't mangle the language.  :eek4:
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#24 Chakotay

Chakotay

For gosh sakes let me out of here!

• Islander
  • 6,657 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 02:34 AM

Maybe we should import a Brit?

:D
  No plan survives first contact with the enemy - military axiom.

#25 Caretaker

Caretaker
  • Islander
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 02:42 PM

Ogami, on Aug 6 2004, 06:22 AM, said:

Caretaker titled the thread:

Bush says the the enemy is us , Another Bushism for the list

"The the"? What is a "the the"?

I think if you're going to make a thread on Bush mangling words, you'd better spellcheck your own writing real good beforehand.  :whistle:

-Ogami
Thanks for pointing out my typo.  That's what I get for trying to post this thing too quickly. :D  But don't equate a sole typo for the fact that the soon-to-be-former Bush still messes up a whole lot of the time.

Edited by Caretaker, 08 August 2004 - 02:55 PM.

#26 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 09:43 AM

Ogami, on Aug 6 2004, 12:22 PM, said:

I think if you're going to make a thread on Bush mangling words, you'd better spellcheck your own writing real good beforehand.  :whistle:

-Ogami
Actually, 'the' is spelled correctly both times.  

I'm looking for a connection here between your reliance upon Spellcheck for stuff it does not do and the state of your rhetoric.  When I find it, I'll report back.   ;)

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#27 Aurelius

Aurelius

Master of the Empire

• Islander
  • 803 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 12:39 PM

G1223, on Aug 6 2004, 03:41 AM, said:

Jid, on Aug 6 2004, 03:00 AM, said:

I think the joke is

“They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.”

Which implies America is out to harm itself ;)
And as Delvo said it can also mean he and others are trying to find ways this country can be attacked so as to prevent it.

But of course it's easier to think he is stupid than deal with what he meant.
But it didn't mean what you said. The quote from the White House spokesman shows clearly that he misspoke. This is nothing new. President Bush has a history of misspeaking. Granted it's a very common habit for most people. You just don't usually see it so regularly from a prominent figure like the President.

Ahh well, no harm, no foul. Although to those getting uptight over it, please relax. It's not nearly as big a thing as you're making it out to be.

Hail All
Aurelius
"If I had all the answers, I'd run for God"
Cpl. Max Klinger, M*A*S*H

#28 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 12:41 PM

The difference is this: Bush would joke about his mistake. Kerry would blame the reporters for misunderstanding him or the secret service for jiggling the teleprompter.  ;)
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#29 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 01:05 PM

Caretaker, don't make the mistake of misunderestimating our leader.  ;)

I say that as a joke, but it's literally true. The Democrat tactic from day one was to call Bush a dummy. What happened? He cleaned Gore's clock in all three of the televised debates. He outsmarted his opponents who said he couldn't pass a tax rebate in his first year.

Finally, in 2002, the Democrats literally ran on the premise that Bush was a dummy and a warmonger. That backfired terribly, giving the Democrats double defeats in the House and Senate.

I want the Democrats to stick with their "Bush is a dummy" platform for 2004. Nothing will ensure a more resounding defeat for them.

Edited by Ogami, 09 August 2004 - 01:19 PM.

#30 maryavatar

maryavatar

Peachy

• Islander
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 07:00 PM

Paging Dr Freud.  Paging Dr Freud.  Dr Freud, your slip is showing.

:lol:
"When God made the arse, he didn't say, 'Hey, it's just your basic hinge, let's knock off early.' He said, 'Behold ye angels, I have created the arse. Throughout the ages to come, men and women shall grab hold of these, and shout my name.'"

#31 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 11:36 PM

Nonny, on Aug 9 2004, 06:41 AM, said:

I think if you're going to make a thread on Bush mangling words, you'd better spellcheck your own writing real good beforehand.  :whistle:

-Ogami

I'm looking for a connection here between your reliance upon Spellcheck for stuff it does not do and the state of your rhetoric.  When I find it, I'll report back.   ;)

Nonny
LOLOLOL!  :lol:
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#32 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Retired Board Owner
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 12:48 PM

Nonny, on Aug 9 2004, 06:41 AM, said:

-Ogami

Nonny

Never mind, I guess I was wrong. Sorry.

Edited by Lover of Purple, 10 August 2004 - 01:00 PM.

#33 Ro-Astarte

Ro-Astarte

goddess of love and blowing things up

• Islander
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 06:03 PM

A friend linked to this cartoon, which pretty much says it all quite humourously. :)

Quitting Time

Ro

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bush, Bush-isms, 2004

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users