• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#141 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 01:17 PM

Nonny, on Aug 10 2004, 06:11 PM, said:

I want to thank the moderators for dealing with this situation.  Because of my health problems, I do not watch the news on TV, and I listen to it on the radio in moderation.  I mostly get my news online because I can get the same story from many sources and compare the stories, and because reading damps down tone of voice.  However, tov was coming through loud and clear here, and I was sadly considering that I'd have to back out.  Scanning what has been posted since I left yesterday, however, has assured me that this forum is safe for all of us with our shared and our opposing views, so long as we keep the discourse courteous.  

A big heartfelt thanks.  

Nonny
Who asked you?  :p

#142 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 01:20 PM

Hambil have I introduced you to my point singularity smite projector?

***POINT SINGULARITY SMITE***

There, now you've been introduced.

:devil:  :angel:  :devil:

:p~
Posted Image

#143 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 01:24 PM

Oh I knew that was coming.............   some things are just a given....  :D  :lol:  :p

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#144 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 01:27 PM

SubwayCait, on Aug 10 2004, 11:22 AM, said:

Oh I knew that was coming.............   some things are just a given....  :D  :lol:  :p
Ayup.

It's nice to know that, even in a polarized election year, one can still count on some things to run like clockwork...

:hehe:
Posted Image

#145 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 02:53 PM

And another heartfelt thanks, this one to Lil.  Thanks, Lil!   :cool:

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#146 Rommie's Ronin

Rommie's Ronin

Out Of The Silent Planet

• Islander
  • 815 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 03:01 PM

Give'em hell, Ogami. :lol:
"Sure I wave the American flag. Do you know a better flag to wave? Sure I love my country with all her faults. I'm not ashamed of that, never have been and never will be." ---John Wayne

http://www.smokingse...n.com/swafr.htm

#147 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 03:33 PM

Nonny, on Aug 10 2004, 12:51 PM, said:

And another heartfelt thanks, this one to Lil.  Thanks, Lil!   :cool:

Nonny
Any time medear!!!   :cool:
Posted Image

#148 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 04:23 PM

Delvo, on Aug 9 2004, 09:13 PM, said:

Anakam, on Aug 9 2004, 11:00 PM, said:

Well, how would you like it if a known liberal on this board said "The fact that Republicans are predictably crass, predictably selfish, and predictably opportunistic did not deter the president from doing the right thing"?  Etc.
Well... they DO. Not that exact set of words in that exact order, but for every Ogami/G1223, there are several more on the other side. It just doesn't stand out from the liberal side because for them it's NORMAL.
Gee, Delvo, nothing like lowering the tone of the board just that much more.  :(
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#149 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 05:53 PM

Rhea, on Aug 10 2004, 03:21 PM, said:

Delvo, on Aug 9 2004, 09:13 PM, said:

Anakam, on Aug 9 2004, 11:00 PM, said:

Well, how would you like it if a known liberal on this board said "The fact that Republicans are predictably crass, predictably selfish, and predictably opportunistic did not deter the president from doing the right thing"?  Etc.
Well... they DO. Not that exact set of words in that exact order, but for every Ogami/G1223, there are several more on the other side. It just doesn't stand out from the liberal side because for them it's NORMAL.
Gee, Delvo, nothing like lowering the tone of the board just that much more.  :(
Strange... I seriously thought you LIKED having a "low tone of the board", as entertainment or something, given how consistently you act as personal cheerleader to the biggest mudslinger we have.

#150 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 07:26 PM

Methinks this thread is mis-titled.  It should be "Everyone Strikes Under the Belt".

Please stop flinging these little barbs at each other.

Think whatever you like, but BE NICE TO EACH OTHER. (really, it's very simple)

-Nick

#151 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 07:30 PM

*puts on Admin hat*

Okay now folks, let's try to cool things down a bit, eh? With all this talk about each other, the original point under discussion has gotten lost. In fact, this whole thread has become more of an AQG "meta" discussion than an OT topic-centered one. Imho, the last post that's even vaguely on topic is this one. Does anyone have anything to say in relation to tennyson's comments?

#152 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 08:05 PM

Thank you, Nick and Kevin!!!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Election, 2004, Kerry, Criticizes Bush, 9/11, Reading to kids

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users