315 replies to this topic

#261 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Retired Board Owner
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 06:49 PM

DWF, on Aug 12 2004, 03:46 PM, said:

This thread is giving me some unpleasant Slipstream flashbacks, can stick to the topic, such as it is? :unsure:
Agreed, DWF!!!

Er...what were we talking about? ;)

#262 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 06:50 PM

^

I've lost track. We can always talk about my old standby, sex!
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#263 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Retired Board Owner
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 06:53 PM

Josh, on Aug 12 2004, 03:48 PM, said:

^

I've lost track. We can always talk about my old standby, sex!
Josh, you never let me down. :D :D

#264 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 06:54 PM

Hambil, on Aug 10 2004, 05:19 PM, said:

Delvo, on Aug 10 2004, 11:16 PM, said:

It would be simpler to link you to some other threads where it's already been talked about than to restate them here. I'll try to find them and come back with the links when I have time...
Bump your favorite. I'll be your huckleberry.
Here are three threads in which homosexual/heterosexual marriage was talked about before...

http://www.exisle.ne...showtopic=13335
http://www.exisle.ne...showtopic=12709
http://www.exisle.ne...?showtopic=6781

The gist of the non-religious basis for disallowing "gay marriage" is that it's not about two people's relationship, but merely a government construct for designating responsible parties for the raising of children.

#265 GiGi

GiGi

Lipstick wearing PIG kisser!

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 06:56 PM

Rommie's Ronin, on Aug 12 2004, 04:17 PM, said:

Hambil uses the s__t word in a thread title. In a thread title. Nobody says anything until Drew brings it up today.  Then suddenly, the mods are asking Hambil to change it.  However, I used the word days earlier in another post, and Christopher PMs me to change it because of language issues in the rules.  That's lopsided.  And I won't buy any argument that the mods haven't settled in on the rules and aren't quite in synch yet.  It's not that complicated: there are acceptable words and unacceptable words. That thread was started early yesterday morning...and not one of the mods noticed it?  I won't buy the "well, we were discussing it" argument either...what's to discuss?
You are absolutely incorrect about this.  It was being discussed as soon as the thread went up.  We mods have different opinions on what is okay and what is not.  We were discussing this and had agreed that in subtitles swear words were definately off limits.

If you hadn't noticed there have been many fires to put out lately and a couple of OT mods are missing.  That delayed the PM getting to Hambil to let him know that an edit was requested.

It looked like the request was made after the issue was raised in the AQG thread, but that is not the case, ask a Watchdog if you don't believe me.

Yes, it looks inconsistant.  Christopher has a bigger issue with sh*t than I do, I have five animals that I clean up after daily, for me sh*t happens.  He is more sensitive to the word and asked for the edit in his forum right away.

I absolutely agree with you that we need to figure it out.  The admins have had their hands full lately.  They are the ones who make the ultimate decisions.  Consistancy is on the top of the list of things to get ironed out.
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#266 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 06:56 PM

Josh, you never let me down. :D :D

Well... ;)

It's not like anyone is surprised by me any longer. :p

#267 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 07:13 PM

Delvo, on Aug 12 2004, 11:52 PM, said:

The gist of the non-religious basis for disallowing "gay marriage" is that it's not about two people's relationship, but merely a government construct for designating responsible parties for the raising of children.
Okay, I did my best to read throught them. I'm sure I missed stuff because so much of it was focused on other stuff than our current discussion I skimmed.

Before I address the specific non-religous argument you give, was it made by a religous person who also opposes gay marriage on a religous basis? In other words, I'd like to see someone who is not religous stand up and say "I oppose gay marriage". To spit it out rather than dance around it - I think it's a staw man to hide a primary argument that wasn't working.

But, even given that, I will discuss it as open mindedly as I can:

So, because gay couples can't have children by procreation with each other, and that is what marriage is about, they should not be allowed to marry (Did I get that correct?).

A few questions:

1) Can hetro couple who are barren marry? Or do they need to join a civil union?
2) Should hetro couples be allowed to marry after the woman passes child baring age?
3) Should hetro couples be required to sign an intent to have children before marrying?
4) If they then don't have children should their marriage be annulled at some point?
5) If a woman gets a sex change, and can produce sperm (the day is coming, no pun intended), can she and her lesbian lover get married?

Edited by Hambil, 12 August 2004 - 07:15 PM.

#268 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 07:14 PM

RR, I didn't say you owe me any favors I just asked you for one.;)  Honestly, what goes on at TK is the business of TK.

GiGi I'm glad you clarified that sh*t thing.

As far as Josh and Sex...um...mebbe we shouldn't go there... :eek4:
Posted Image

#269 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 07:16 PM

Hambil, on Aug 12 2004, 05:11 PM, said:

Okay, I did my best to read throught them. I'm sure I missed stuff because so much of it was focused on other stuff than our current discussion I skimmed.

Before I address the specific non-religous argument you give, was it made by a religous person who also opposes gay marriage on a religous basis? In other words, I'd like to see someone who is not religous stand up and say "I oppose gay marriage". To spit it out rather than dance around it - I think it's a staw man to hide a primary argument that wasn't working.

But, even given that, I will discuss it as open mindedly as I can:

So, because gay couples can't have children by procreation with each other, and that is what marriage is about, they should not be allowed to marry (Did I get that correct?).

A few questions:

1) Can hetro couple who are barren marry? Or do they need to join a civil union?
2) Should hetro couples be allowed to marry after the woman passes child baring age?
3) Should hetro couples be required to sign an intent to have children before marrying?
4) If they then don't have children should their marriage be annulled at some point?
5) If a woman gets a sex change, and can produce sperm (the day is coming, no pun intended), can she and her lesbian lover get married?
I think maybe a different thread is needed for this (with a copy of the links Delvo provided)????
Posted Image

#270 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 07:16 PM

^

Oh, come on Lil! You know you want it! ;)

#271 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 07:17 PM

No actually...I can actually say with one hundred percent certainty that I most emphatically do NOT!

:p~
Posted Image

#272 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 07:18 PM

^

Now you have ceased to impress me. ;) I guess this means I'm the most impressivist!

#273 Mr.Calgary

Mr.Calgary

Has left.

• Islander
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 08:05 PM

Una Salus Lillius, on Aug 12 2004, 09:26 AM, said:

It's as if people are LOOKING FOR REASONS TO BE PISSED.

:crazy:
:whistle:  dedumdeddumdedum........

(strolling, (not trolling) through EI)  :cool:

"what do we have here"

(releases clamp, puts shoulder to the metal and starts turning object around, adjusts levers)

"okay, acquiring target"

(waves arms)

Yoo Hoo......Lil.

(presses button)

***SUPER PURPLE SMITE***

(giggles) (giggles some more) :bigsmile:

(scurries away tossing out handfuls of purple to cover tracks.  huge amounts of purple obtained earlier in the day from LoP)

:devil:
Favourite Coda thread quotes.....

(1)  Yes. Bad Trance! Wicked, Evil Trance!

(2)  Stayed purple.   (3)  Bad, bad Trance!

(4)  Love and Blowing Things Up continue forever. The universe wins

#274 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 08:47 PM

Back to the subject at hand: Zack would have you believe that my posting of threads criticizing John Kerry is equal to the massive amounts of hatred levelled at the President. Hardly. Yes, I don't like John Kerry. Yes, I have serious questions about his ability to lead this country. Yes, I think that he has repeatedly lied about his time in Vietnam, first to bolster the anti-war movement, then to jumpstart his politlcal career. Now he's using it to show, somehow, that he's a better military leader than the President.

But I do not hate John Kerry. I think he's a sad individual, and I fear for this country should he get elected, but just because I criticize him does not make me equal to the MoveOns and the Michael Moores and the Democratic leadership that paints the President as Hitler reincarnated. It's disgusting.

Furthermore, yes, I post things here, which may make the OT temporarily look like an "anti-Kerry" zone. But outside of the OT, . . . geez, I can't believe the anti-Bush stuff that's sweeping the nation. Last week (or was it earlier this week) I linked to a USA today article highlighting a number of new anti-Bush books hitting the market. A couple days ago the USA Today had another article highlighting the anti-Bush films that are being rushed out to DVD prior to the election. The day before it was all about the anti-Bush rock-fest featuring Springsteen et al that's sweeping the nation. Anti-Bush stuff is everywhere.

I'll talk about "Checkpoint" in another thread.

The Democratic leadership has whipped up this hatred against Bush all for political gain, but they've unleashed something that is frightening and dangerous. The "anti-Kerry" stuff can't even begin to match it. Not even if I posted a thread a day about it.
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#275 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 08:56 PM

That is true Drew so true
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#276 Soton

Soton
  • Islander
  • 249 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 08:57 PM

Hambil, on Aug 12 2004, 03:34 PM, said:

Er, 13 posts? That's a one day visit.
For you, maybe.  For me, that's six months worth of posting.   :)

#277 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 08:58 PM

Rommie's Ronin, on Aug 12 2004, 05:17 PM, said:

Delvo said:

(What does "coyote ugly" mean, anyway?)

Coyoteugly is one of the 18 admins over at TK.
I saw that when I followed the link... but what did the name come from?

#278 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 08:58 PM

Drew, on Aug 13 2004, 01:45 AM, said:

The Democratic leadership has whipped up this hatred against Bush all for political gain, but they've unleashed something that is frightening and dangerous. The "anti-Kerry" stuff can't even begin to match it. Not even if I posted a thread a day about it.
My dislike for Bush is genuine, and has nothing to do with party spin. I think you'll be surprised how off target that comment is. The Democratic Party is not like the Republican Party - it's not that unified or organized.

#279 Mr.Calgary

Mr.Calgary

Has left.

• Islander
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 08:59 PM

Drew, on Aug 12 2004, 06:45 PM, said:

:hmmm:

I think that's a pretty good analysis of what's going on..
Favourite Coda thread quotes.....

(1)  Yes. Bad Trance! Wicked, Evil Trance!

(2)  Stayed purple.   (3)  Bad, bad Trance!

(4)  Love and Blowing Things Up continue forever. The universe wins

#280 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 09:14 PM

G1223, on Aug 12 2004, 09:54 PM, said:

That is true Drew so true
No it not, the truth is that some people are obsessed wth getting angry, whether it be with Jonh Kerry, Kevin Sorbo, Tribune, Fox, Bush, The Sci-Fi channel, what have you, to be better than that means rising above it, on all sides and that starts with the person we all see in the mirror, ourselves. It's not a matter of which political party we belong to, or what creed we believe in, that kind of mudslinging the kind that goes on in both parties is something we don't have follow. if we don't want to.

It's childish, no worse it's BORING and stupid and life's too short for that, leave the mudslinging to the professionals, it's something we all rise above, especially here. ;)
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bush, Public Opinion, Bush Fatigue Syndrome

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users