• Please log in to reply
315 replies to this topic

#281 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 09:28 PM

DWF I was agreeing with Drew's comments I was saying I see the media as the biggest asset Kerry has. It will not investigate these veterans objectively. The media refuses to investigate who signed for Kerry's Purple hearts espically the one he might not have earned. That the medical officer who would have signed was not at that post any longer as he had headed stateside.

Kerry makes claims about his service and these me are speaking out. I have not heard their claims aired. Only the claims of those attacking them.

Yet we heard for weeks on end about Bush's time in service and required more paperwork of him than has been asked of Mr. Kerry.

I see one with a list  of thing challenged everystep of the way, and the other unchecked and ,those calling for checking to be done attacked for daring to speak.

Meanwhile there is a media dance with Celebs who hate Bush getting to speak while folks who support the president get silence.

Sorry the rule of some more equal than others looks to be going live and well in the DNC.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#282 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 09:32 PM

^^^That happens with both parties, as it's already happened here, it's NOT the truth that only comes from the DNC, it come from BOTH SIDES. That doesn't mean that anybody here needs to lower themselves the standards of either party. ;)
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#283 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 09:39 PM

Zack would have you believe that my posting of threads criticizing John Kerry is equal to the massive amounts of hatred levelled at the President.

Drew that's just untrue.  Zack (like you) is talking about THIS BOARD and this board alone.  Trying to make it sound like something other than that is dirty pool.  At a minimum.

Lil
Posted Image

#284 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 09:47 PM

Then DWF I owe you an appolgy as I thought drew was talking about outside our fishbowl. Inside screw it we are all at the point we have made up our minds one way or another so keeping on this is not going to change minds.

The debates if they have them would be interesting as that is where we hear policy being actually talked about.

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

#285 GiGi

GiGi

Lipstick wearing PIG kisser!

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 09:56 PM

DWF, on Aug 12 2004, 07:12 PM, said:

G1223, on Aug 12 2004, 09:54 PM, said:

That is true Drew so true
No it not, the truth is that some people are obsessed wth getting angry, whether it be with Jonh Kerry, Kevin Sorbo, Tribune, Fox, Bush, The Sci-Fi channel, what have you, to be better than that means rising above it, on all sides and that starts with the person we all see in the mirror, ourselves. It's not a matter of which political party we belong to, or what creed we believe in, that kind of mudslinging the kind that goes on in both parties is something we don't have follow. if we don't want to.

It's childish, no worse it's BORING and stupid and life's too short for that, leave the mudslinging to the professionals, it's something we all rise above, especially here. ;)
Well said DWF, thanks for the bit of sanity!
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#286 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 10:01 PM

G1223, on Aug 12 2004, 10:45 PM, said:

Then DWF I owe you an appolgy as I thought drew was talking about outside our fishbowl. Inside screw it we are all at the point we have made up our minds one way or another so keeping on this is not going to change minds.

The debates if they have them would be interesting as that is where we hear policy being actually talked about.
It's not a biggie, the internet can be a clumsy way of communicating. It's a shame we didn't get to talk longer at Marcon, hopefully that'll change next year, but I'm still going to be ALOT of panels.  ;)
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#287 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 10:02 PM

GiGi, on Aug 12 2004, 10:54 PM, said:

DWF, on Aug 12 2004, 07:12 PM, said:

No it not, the truth is that some people are obsessed wth getting angry, whether it be with Jonh Kerry, Kevin Sorbo, Tribune, Fox, Bush, The Sci-Fi channel, what have you, to be better than that means rising above it, on all sides and that starts with the person we all see in the mirror, ourselves. It's not a matter of which political party we belong to, or what creed we believe in, that kind of mudslinging the kind that goes on in both parties is something we don't have follow. if we don't want to.

It's childish, no worse it's BORING and stupid and life's too short for that, leave the mudslinging to the professionals, it's something we all rise above, especially here. ;)
Thanks. :blush:

#288 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 10:22 PM

Una Salus Lillius, on Aug 12 2004, 09:37 PM, said:

Zack would have you believe that my posting of threads criticizing John Kerry is equal to the massive amounts of hatred levelled at the President.

Drew that's just untrue.  Zack (like you) is talking about THIS BOARD and this board alone.
Then he and I were talking about two different things, which gives him no basis for a statement equating the two.
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#289 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 10:26 PM

DWF, on Aug 12 2004, 09:12 PM, said:

I'm not talking about general hatred . . . I'm talking about the specific hatred of the President, which has reached dangerous levels. "Childish and boring" are not really adequate words to describe it. Frighteningly obsessive comes closer. And I don't believe it goes on in both parties. I believe the Democratic party has been pretty much taken over by the far-left Bush-hating fringe. The Republicans had this problem in the 90s, when Clinton hatred got way out of whack. But it never came close to what I'm seeing from the left today.
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#290 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 10:31 PM

G1223, on Aug 12 2004, 09:45 PM, said:

Then DWF I owe you an appolgy as I thought drew was talking about outside our fishbowl.
I AM talking about outside the Ex Isle. A simple reading of my posts should make that clear. I have been referring to USA Today. To recently published anti-Bush books, recently releasted anti-Bush movies, anti-Bush rock concerts. Didn't I just mention these? Then there's just the increasing hostility of the press, getting more shrill by the day. Anything to get rid of Bush. Knopf, publisher of "Checkpoint," apparently wants the President assassinated.

#291 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 10:32 PM

GiGi, on Aug 12 2004, 09:54 PM, said:

Thank you for calling me insane.  :suspect:

#292 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,634 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 10:47 PM

Drew, although you are talking about an imbalance in the whole set of discourses about Bush, which is certainly there and which does seem to me the evil twin of the anti-Clinton frenzy of the 90s, the countless anti-Kerry and anti-Democratic threads being started by you and others, which then inspires anti-Bush threads and replies from Kerry supporters, do end up polarizing the atmosphere here in OT.  Maybe it would be nice to talk about what all of us are for, and how we think the candidates address or do not address the issues that are important to us.  Importing the outside hysteria into EI just makes our community hysterical too, rather than giving it space to become a refuge from all the vitriol.  

I was impressed by Caretaker's thread that only allowed people to state what made them support their candidate and forbade any bashing of the other side.  Even posters who are quite inflammatory elsewhere came up with thoughtful analyses of what they look for in a president.

I'm not trying to shut you up, Drew, but wanted to provide a perspective on the effect if not the intent of some of your threads.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#293 GiGi

GiGi

Lipstick wearing PIG kisser!

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 10:56 PM

Thank you for calling me insane.
Drew,  you are going too far!!  STOP putting thoughts in my head or words in my mouth.  DWF DOES not address you at all in his post, he was speaking in general  and I was responding to his general idea.

If you are thinking that post is about you, what is going on with you?  I didn't see you there at all!  

I am tired of the demonizing of all Democrats that is going on here, yes you have added to that, but what I know of who you are is that you are a rational, open-minded person that I can talk too.  Am I wrong about this?

Please, Drew, I have always liked you, I have stood up for you at SSBBS, and TREKBSS, why are you responding to me in this manner?

I am sorry, I just don't understand.....

:(
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#294 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 10:56 PM

Drew, on Aug 13 2004, 03:29 AM, said:

G1223, on Aug 12 2004, 09:45 PM, said:

Then DWF I owe you an appolgy as I thought drew was talking about outside our fishbowl.
I AM talking about outside the Ex Isle. A simple reading of my posts should make that clear. I have been referring to USA Today. To recently published anti-Bush books, recently releasted anti-Bush movies, anti-Bush rock concerts. Didn't I just mention these? Then there's just the increasing hostility of the press, getting more shrill by the day. Anything to get rid of Bush. Knopf, publisher of "Checkpoint," apparently wants the President assassinated.
Wait until you see how bad it gets from the Republican side, when/if Kerry wins...

#295 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 11:22 PM

My apologies, GiGi. The fact that you said DWF's reply to me was "sanity" implied that my post was "insanity."

#296 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 11:28 PM

GiGi, on Aug 12 2004, 10:54 PM, said:

I am tired of the demonizing of all Democrats that is going on here, yes you have added to that, but what I know of who you are is that you are a rational, open-minded person that I can talk too.  Am I wrong about this?
Certainly not. I disdain the Democratic leadership, but recognize that there are plenty of Democrats out there that I could support quite easily. I have no plan to "demonize all Democrats," and you shouldn't read that into any of my posts. I am concerned about what has happened to the Democratic party in recent years, I fear that the Bush-hatred that they've whipped up has now become an out-of-control beast--and not even the Democrats who started it can stop it.

#297 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 11:28 PM

^  Not to be a stickler...well okay, to be a stickler...even assuming someone said that something you said is insane that's not the same thing as saying that "you're" insane.  

BTW, Drew I really wish I could pm you because I think we'd both benefit from a private chat.

'Tis just a suggestion.

Lil
Posted Image

#298 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 11:29 PM

Una Salus Lillius, on Aug 12 2004, 11:26 PM, said:

BTW, Drew I really wish I could pm you because I think we'd both benefit from a private chat.
I'm bad at that. 'sides, I ain't got no problems wit' you. You're getting downright fluffy-bunny!

#299 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 11:36 PM

Then guys hit irc or a system where you can both get access to a chat room

TANSTAAFL

#300 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 11:37 PM

Drew, on Aug 13 2004, 04:26 AM, said:

I fear that the Bush-hatred that they've whipped up has now become an out-of-control beast--and not even the Democrats who started it can stop it.
I blame my hatred of Bush on Bush. Is it so hard to believe that I could come by it honestly and through rational thought, as opposed to being programmed by my 'party leadership'? And that I am far from alone?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bush, Public Opinion, Bush Fatigue Syndrome

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users