• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Gina

Gina

Crazy Theory Bender

• Islander
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 11:08 PM

I have been lurking in OT for a long time now, and seeing all of the political thread made me start to wonder.

Do we actually know what is going on in politics? Sure, there's the news that tells us what is going on in Iraq. But we don't really know do we? The tabloids can twist things up so much its hard to tell what is really, and what is just there for the ratings.

We know there is a war in Iraq. But I listen to a lot of people that think its about oil. Its not. We know there is an election coming up. But why is Kerry better than Bush, or vice versa? Kerry's big thing is Medicare for all Americans. Guess what? Not all Americans want Medicare, and if he makes it so that all Americans have medicare, the taxes go back up.

So, beside all of the candidates and promises, when all the fluff is gone, what is politics?
Shiney Happy Pod Person #90

Lets see if I can get this....

Harperchondriac, Bekaneer, Argosy, No. 2 Assassin, Lost faction person, and Trancer, I do beleive

#2 Rommie's Ronin

Rommie's Ronin

Out Of The Silent Planet

• Islander
  • 815 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 12:17 AM

It's a struggle for power.  That few years of being the boss is a lure that so many find hard to resist.

It sure as hell ain't for the money...the US President gets paid a salary that's laughable when compared to other salaries here.

As for other positions...many seek office to help their constituents.  Others are again lured by power.  The reasons are as varied as human nature.
"Sure I wave the American flag. Do you know a better flag to wave? Sure I love my country with all her faults. I'm not ashamed of that, never have been and never will be." ---John Wayne

http://www.smokingse...n.com/swafr.htm

#3 ZipperInt

ZipperInt
  • Islander
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 09:04 PM

I'll have to agree power plays a big role. The amount of money a politician gets for his salary might not be high compared to the private sector, but many expenses are paid for, and he is in a position to make money/opportunities for who he wants, including himself, family, friends, etc..

And I'm sure the odd politician is in it to help people.... :unsure:
The second greatest podcast in the history of ever:
http://geeksonaplain.blogspot.com/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Politics, 2004

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users