36 replies to this topic

#1 Coffee Please

Coffee Please
  • Islander
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 03:40 PM

NJ Governor Jim McGreevey formally announced moments ago that:

1) he is gay

2) amidst allegations of sexual misconduct and possible indictment, he has resigned as Governor effective Nov 15th.

I am still in shock.   :eek4:

Any comments from the masses?

ABC news link to possible resignation

The announcement came after the above story broke.

#2 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,137 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 03:42 PM

No details have been posted, but CNN has a "breaking news" banner on the top of the page that reads:

New Jersey Gov. Jim McGreevey resigns his post, citing an extramarital homosexual affair. Details soon

I've perused some other articles that claimed he was expected to step down soon, but none have reported he actually has.  His administration was supposedly dogged by controversy surrounding the resignation of several aides on reports of corruption, but the articles claim this isn't the reason for the resignation.

CNN's the only one calling this an "extra-marital homosexual affair" and the remainder are just talking about sexual harrassment allegations.

I'll be interested to hear more details on this one . . . :unsure:

-Nick

#3 Coffee Please

Coffee Please
  • Islander
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 03:43 PM

Admin, please merge this with my recently added topic.

Here's Yahoo link

http://story.news.ya..._us/nj_governor

#4 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,137 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 03:44 PM

Doh! You beat me to it! :p

;)

**waves arms and makes "wooo woooo woooo" noises

Threads merged. ;)

-Nick

Edited by Nick, 12 August 2004 - 03:45 PM.

#5 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 03:49 PM

I don't get it. He's a Democrat. What the hell is he resigning for? We don't care if he's gay, and we're glad he's out of the closet and not screwing up a fake marriage anymore. He's probably still got a shot at re-election.

#6 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,137 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 03:52 PM

^I don't like the idea that he's resigning just because of being gay either.  It sets a terrible example for it being something to be ashamed of . . . I think there are a lot more details that have yet to surface on this one . . . I'm withholding my commentary until more reports come in.  This doesn't sound like the whole story by far (yet).

-Nick

#7 Coffee Please

Coffee Please
  • Islander
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 03:56 PM

I don't think it is because he is gay either.  It is because of all the recent scandals 'in-house' and the allegations of racketeering and using state funds for personal use (like helicoptering his boyfriend to a rendezvous to the Jersey shore).  Those are the rumors, anyway.

For NJ it is politics as usual... :wacko:

#8 Rommie's Ronin

Rommie's Ronin

Out Of The Silent Planet

• Islander
  • 815 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 04:06 PM

I started to comment "well I guess he forgot to remove that lipstick before the press conference, huh?" but thought better of it. :D

Honestly, that's no reason to resign.  If his job record doesn't speak for him, then it would all be academic.  Probably, he's resigning because the outcry, plus the prior scandals, would sink him.  Voters can be fickle about this sort of stuff.  Especially when it comes in 1-2 punches.
"Sure I wave the American flag. Do you know a better flag to wave? Sure I love my country with all her faults. I'm not ashamed of that, never have been and never will be." ---John Wayne

http://www.smokingse...n.com/swafr.htm

#9 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 04:12 PM

Rommie's Ronin, on Aug 12 2004, 09:04 PM, said:

I started to comment "well I guess he forgot to remove that lipstick before the press conference, huh?"
Accidently coming to a press conference in partial drag would suck wouldn't it?  :D

#10 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,137 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 04:21 PM

Okay . . . yeah, I definately have a problem with this one.  It sounds to me like his misconduct, corrupt administration and pending allegations of homosexual sexual harrassment are what really drove him to resign . . . but instead of citing those reasons, he confesses to being gay, having an affair, and says it's "foolish" and he should resign.

Frell that.

So now he looks like he's ashamed of being gay, admitted his wife was just a prop, and this is going to reflect poorly on the gay community as a whole.

:glare:

-Nick

#11 Caretaker

Caretaker
  • Islander
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 05:05 PM

I wouldn't be ashamed.  He honed up to the affair, like many politicians before and probably many politicians long after.  He likes men? Doesn't matter to me.  And now he's being honest.

I agree that this sure sounds like he's leaving the job now because of all teh other problems/issues/corruption-related things in his administration.  He just took the opportunity to come out now, and killed two birds with one stone.

But, now he can help promote gay-rights.

#12 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,326 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 06:56 PM

Geez.  I thought all along he was gay.  Don't even know why I thought that.  

Gov. McGreevey is my governor.

I'm glad he's resigning.  Homosexual affair or heterosexual affair, the fact that he's had an affair that puts his wife and children (if there are any) in a humiliating place is reason enough to bow out of the spotlight and deal with the mess he's created at home.  

HM07

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#13 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 06:57 PM

Hi HM, can I ask,

what bearing does his sex life have on his ability to do his job?

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#14 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 06:58 PM

I think it's a shame. The media are naturally going to blow this out of proportion, emphasizing the supposed "gay" part of it when they should be focusing more on the political.
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#15 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 07:05 PM

Cyberhippie, on Aug 12 2004, 07:55 PM, said:

What bearing does his sex life have on his ability to do his job?
He also admitted to a extramartial affair, which puts a different spin on things. ;)
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#16 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,326 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 07:07 PM

Cyberhippie, on Aug 12 2004, 07:55 PM, said:

Hi HM, can I ask,

what bearing does his sex life have on his ability to do his job?
Well, apparently, according to the "rumors" - it affects his judgement, as he carts his boyfriend around on the taxpayer's dime.  :glare:

More seriously, I didn't say anything at all about his job performance.  Read me a little closer...

HM07

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#17 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 07:08 PM

You see DWF, this just leaves me mystified. ISn't that between him, his wife, and his mistress or boyfriend?? what does it have to do with his ability to do his job as govermental person?

Edited by Cyberhippie, 12 August 2004 - 07:08 PM.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#18 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 07:09 PM

^

It doesn't. It is a moral issue though. However, like most of them, that tends to be subjective to the person. Whether he should have resigned from it is honestly not up to me to say.
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#19 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 07:10 PM

Well, apparently, according to the "rumors" - it affects his judgement, as he carts his boyfriend around on the taxpayer's dime.  :glare:

uhm, okay  :unsure:

More seriously, I didn't say anything at all about his job performance.  Read me a little closer...

:blush: uhm, oops. my apologies HM. I should have read closer and now i've gone and made a ninny of myself. mea culpa

#20 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,137 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 07:17 PM

I question whether there really *is* a mess to clean-up at home.  As a politician in such a high office, he's expected to be married.  First ladies can play a hugely important role in an election.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if they both knew he was gay before they even got married, and that the first lady was simply a prop to improve his political image.

Just my not-so-humble take on it . . .

-Nick

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: New Jersey, Gov. Jim McGreevey, REsignation, 2004, Gay Politician

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users