36 replies to this topic

#21 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 07:20 PM

Cyberhippie, on Aug 12 2004, 08:06 PM, said:

You see DWF, this just leaves me mystified. ISn't that between him, his wife, and his mistress or boyfriend?? what does it have to do with his ability to do his job as govermental person?
I can somewhat understand where you're coming from, but politics seems to equal corruption, and it's a game of oneupsmanship. Think of Watergate, Nixon was winning he did win, and yet spying on the other candidate was traced back to people who were under him and although he wasn't charged or impeached, he resigned.

This'll forever taint McGreevey, just as Watergate did to Nixon. It's a question of questionable morals, that could be used against him at every turn, much like it is with Jeri Ryan's ex-husband. ;)
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#22 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 07:24 PM

okay.

Chalk another one up for my truly not understanding politics :)

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#23 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 08:49 PM

I think this is a attempt to dodge the bulliet on the corruption charges.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#24 Pax

Pax

Patroling the Rhadical Fringe

• Islander
  • 83 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 08:54 PM

I've watched the press conference twice since I've gotten home. I don't get the impression that Gov. McGreevey's resigning just because he's gay. It looks as if he was about to be outed, revealed as an adulterer, and accused of sexual harrassment all at once. His orientation, his extra-marital dalliance, whatever event is generating the harrassment allegation, all of it was about to become public in one enormous bombshell. He said, and I agree, that the feeding frenzy would have been too much of a distraction to allow him to govern effectively. Thank goodness he decided to resign ahead of the insanity rather than desperately cling to power and grind New Jersey's government to a halt.

That's two NJ governors in a row that have left mid-term. Whitman to the EPA and now McGreevey toppled by scandal -- and not the only one that was brewing for him either. I feel for my next door neighbors in Jersey. At least here in Pennsylvania we've only lost one short of his term.

#25 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 10:44 PM

Cyberhippie, on Aug 12 2004, 07:06 PM, said:

You see DWF, this just leaves me mystified. ISn't that between him, his wife, and his mistress or boyfriend?? what does it have to do with his ability to do his job as govermental person?
If a man cheats on his wife, why would we think he's got the necessary character to preside over the state? You can't compartmentalize these things. His infidelity in one area affects his character in another.

I don't give a rodent's hindquarters that he's gay. Our district representative back in the 80s (a Republican) was gay, and I voted for him a number of times. I was really annoyed when his opposition tried to make it an issue. We lost a good Congressman when he decided not to run again.
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#26 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 10:58 PM

Drew, on Aug 13 2004, 03:42 AM, said:

I don't give a rodent's hindquarters that he's gay.
I take offense to that!  :p

#27 Psyche

Psyche
  • Islander
  • 13,556 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 02:46 AM

Nick, on Aug 12 2004, 08:50 PM, said:

It sets a terrible example for it being something to be ashamed of . . .
The first thing that I thought when I read this was, "Maybe he is ashamed of it."

I don't think being gay, in itself, is something to be ashamed of, but that doesn't mean some people aren't.

#28 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 10:28 AM

The impression I got was that his lover/boyfriend was trying to blackmail him. So he decided that instead of paying money to his lover to keep quiet, he decided to go public and resign...

I still don't think he should've resigned. I mean, Clinton's affair with Monica didn't prevent him from being able to perform the duties of the President. (of course that's also debateable)
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#29 Psyche

Psyche
  • Islander
  • 13,556 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 01:57 PM

LORD of the SWORD, on Aug 13 2004, 03:26 PM, said:

I mean, Clinton's affair with Monica didn't prevent him from being able to perform the duties of the President. (of course that's also debateable)
I agree with you there. What people do in their private lives (such as Bill and Monica or the NJ governor and his boyfriend) is strictly their own business unless it interferes with their abilities to perform their duties.

#30 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 02:08 PM

Psyche, on Aug 13 2004, 01:55 PM, said:

I mean, Clinton's affair with Monica didn't prevent him from being able to perform the duties of the President. (of course that's also debateable)
I agree with you there. What people do in their private lives (such as Bill and Monica or the NJ governor and his boyfriend) is strictly their own business unless it interferes with their abilities to perform their duties.
I believe it always will. I don't believe the myth of compartmentalization. The personal always affects the public in way both large and subtle.
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#31 Coffee Please

Coffee Please
  • Islander
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 02:30 PM

G1223, on Aug 13 2004, 01:47 AM, said:

I think this is a attempt to dodge the bulliet on the corruption charges.
I agree with G here.  There have been so many scandals involving his insiders here in NJ, where I live, that the 'being gay' issue is really a smoke screen.  He is/was on the verge of being indicted on racketeering charges.

Here is a link to an article about one of the recent scandals:

http://www.philly.co.../9093426.htm?1c

NEWARK, N.J. - A key fund-raiser for Gov. McGreevey was indicted yesterday on charges he extorted $40,000 in cash and campaign contributions to influence New Jersey state and county officials to inflate the value of a farm.

David M. D'Amiano, 45, a longtime friend of McGreevey's and a member of his campaign finance committee, was accused of extortion, bribery and fraud in an 11-count indictment that U.S. Attorney Christopher J. Christie said reflected "the corrupt and broken political system in New Jersey."

I should tell y'all that for the past four years, up until a few weeks ago, I was working in a NJ State office (as a temporary employee) and that some time prior to this I worked for 8 years as a NJ State employee.  I got to briefly meet the gov recently when a new Commissioner was installed in the Department where I was working.  Although I am not truly an insider, having spent 12 years in a State job, you get to see A LOT of crazy stuff.

So, although I applaud his frank and open admission of his sexuallity and "shameful" (his words) extra-marital affair, I belive it is mostly a distraction from some real 'shaving cream' that was about to hit the fan.

:Oo:

#32 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 02:32 PM

LORD of the SWORD, on Aug 13 2004, 10:26 AM, said:

The impression I got was that his lover/boyfriend was trying to blackmail him. So he decided that instead of paying money to his lover to keep quiet, he decided to go public and resign...

I still don't think he should've resigned. I mean, Clinton's affair with Monica didn't prevent him from being able to perform the duties of the President. (of course that's also debateable)
The affair with Monica didn't interfere with Clinton being president untill the press got the story. In this guys case, he had hired his lover for high paying jobs, one for around 100,000.00 a year. According to the news last night, the last job the guy held was a made up job with no duties. He needed to resign.
Can't Touch This!!

#33 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 02:42 PM

Hambil, on Aug 12 2004, 01:47 PM, said:

I don't get it. He's a Democrat. What the hell is he resigning for? We don't care if he's gay, and we're glad he's out of the closet and not screwing up a fake marriage anymore. He's probably still got a shot at re-election.
If in fact he was about to be indicted on racketeering charges then what's the point of resignation?  It's not like that will (or it shouldn't anyways) have any effect on whether he's indicted... :wacko:
Posted Image

#34 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 03:06 PM

Handmaiden07, on Aug 12 2004, 11:54 PM, said:

I'm glad he's resigning.  Homosexual affair or heterosexual affair, the fact that he's had an affair that puts his wife and children (if there are any) in a humiliating place is reason enough to bow out of the spotlight and deal with the mess he's created at home.
Just like Giuliani.  Oh wait, he didn't resign.  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#35 Coffee Please

Coffee Please
  • Islander
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 03:50 PM

Lil:

If in fact he was about to be indicted on racketeering charges then what's the point of resignation? It's not like that will (or it shouldn't anyways) have any effect on whether he's indicted...

It might not make things go away, but it will give him BIG boost of sympathy.  It might go something like this: "Poor little Jimmy, he's had to hide in the closet this long, maybe we should just forgive him for all of his transgressions.  After all, he did the right thing in the end..."

It's all part of the political game.

#36 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 03:53 PM

Una Salus Lillius, on Aug 13 2004, 11:40 AM, said:

Hambil, on Aug 12 2004, 01:47 PM, said:

I don't get it. He's a Democrat. What the hell is he resigning for? We don't care if he's gay, and we're glad he's out of the closet and not screwing up a fake marriage anymore. He's probably still got a shot at re-election.
If in fact he was about to be indicted on racketeering charges then what's the point of resignation?  It's not like that will (or it shouldn't anyways) have any effect on whether he's indicted... :wacko:
Getting caught having an affair is just plain dumb (IMO having an affair in the first place is inexcusable - being in public office and getting caught at it is a political death sentence).

I don't care whether he's gay or not, he left himself open to a potential blackmailer and then did the right thing by telling his former bed partner to take a flying leap, resigning, and making the whole thing public. Good move.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#37 Avalon

Avalon
  • Islander
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 14 August 2004 - 03:19 PM

Psyche, on Aug 13 2004, 02:55 PM, said:

WARNING!  WARNING!  Temporary thread-jacking now in progress!  ;)

See, I just don't understand this point of view.  If a man doesn't respect and honor his marriage vows to his wife, why in heck would we expect him to respect and honor his presidential oath to the rest of the country?

I don't believe a person's moral code changes depending on what chair he or she is sitting in, or what room of the White House they happen to be standing in.  

(And no, no man is perfect.  Everyone makes mistakes.  The real test of a man's character is how he takes responsibility for his mistakes, and I can't say that I think former President Clinton responded in any honorable fashion to the mistakes he made...)

Thread-jacking complete.  We now return you to your original topic...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: New Jersey, Gov. Jim McGreevey, REsignation, 2004, Gay Politician

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users