17 replies to this topic

#1 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 05:29 PM

http://story.news.ya...ush_mccain_dc_5

Arizona Republican Sen. John McCain, once courted by Democrat presidential candidate John Kerry, is emerging as a major force in the re-election campaign of President Bush, who vanquished McCain in the 2000 Republican primary.

Republican officials said plans are in the works for McCain to appear with Bush on the campaign trail during the week of the Republican convention in New York that will nominate Bush for a second term. Then the plan is for them to campaign together immediately after the convention.

This comes after the veteran senator traveled with the president last week to Florida, New Mexico and Arizona and spent the night at Bush's Crawford, Texas, ranch, where they are said to have gotten along famously.

"It helps having him stand by my side," Bush said during a stop with McCain in Niceville, Florida, last week.

Rick Davis, who was McCain's 2000 campaign manager, said McCain and Bush are getting to know each other better and have spent more time together in the past month than in Bush's entire term.

"No doubt Bush is discovering that McCain has a lot to offer," he said. "The more you get to know the guy, the more you're going to love him. I think the Bush people have finally figured that out."

Bush and McCain fought a bitter Republican primary battle in 2000 that strained relations between them. And McCain, who has always had a maverick streak, has never been shy to question some of Bush's policies.

Just this week he voiced concerns about Bush's plan to bring home up to 70,000 U.S. troops over 10 years from bases overseas. "I hope as some critics allege this is not a retreat to 'Fortress America,"' he said.

:blink:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#2 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 05:56 PM

Imo, this is something McCain is doing for his party. I can't imagine him being a big fan of Bush, but he is a loyal Republican.

If all goes well, maybe McCain will run for president in 2008. Now that would make for a great race. :)

#3 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 08:28 PM

Kevin Street, on Aug 19 2004, 05:54 PM, said:

If all goes well, maybe McCain will run for president in 2008. Now that would make for a great race. :)
^Yeah all we need in office is someone who has a poor record on defense and seeks to kill major critical defense programs.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#4 ZipperInt

ZipperInt
  • Islander
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 11:13 PM

As I understand it, he's a pretty good guy despite his position on defense. I'm sure Rov will help him come around on the defense issues as well. ;)
The second greatest podcast in the history of ever:
http://geeksonaplain.blogspot.com/

#5 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 04:42 PM

Kevin Street, on Aug 19 2004, 02:54 PM, said:

Imo, this is something McCain is doing for his party. I can't imagine him being a big fan of Bush, but he is a loyal Republican.

I can't either, especially after the smear campaign the Bush faction ran on him in 2000. But he's going to stand by his party.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#6 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 04:58 PM

Call me suspicious, but my guess is Cheney announces he is resigning due to health problems some time between the convention and the election, and McCain becomes VP.

#7 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 05:27 PM

"A smear campaign of the ugliest sort is now coursing through the contest for the presidency in 2000. Using the code word 'temper,' a group of Senate Republicans, and at least some outriders of the George W. Bush campaign, are spreading the word that John McCain is unstable." [Washington Post, Elizabeth Drew, "Those Whispers About McCain," 11/19/99]
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#8 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 01:46 PM

MuseZack, on Aug 20 2004, 10:25 PM, said:

"A smear campaign of the ugliest sort is now coursing through the contest for the presidency in 2000. Using the code word 'temper,' a group of Senate Republicans, and at least some outriders of the George W. Bush campaign, are spreading the word that John McCain is unstable." [Washington Post, Elizabeth Drew, "Those Whispers About McCain," 11/19/99]
Specifically, unstable due to the years he spent as a POW.  

As a mentally disabled veteran, I was shocked and horrified that even somebody like Bush would stoop quite that low, but I am no longer surprised at anything he or anyone speaking on his behalf says.  

I have just lost all respect for John McCain.  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#9 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 02:40 PM

Nonny, on Aug 21 2004, 12:44 PM, said:

As a mentally disabled veteran, I was shocked and horrified that even somebody like Bush would stoop quite that low
I have yet to see any serious reason to think he actually DID, other than the word of people who are already known to be full of outrageously false accusations against him on other subjects.

#10 ZipperInt

ZipperInt
  • Islander
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 02:42 PM

Why, because he is supporting his party?  :blink:

#11 HubcapDave

HubcapDave

Bald is Beautiful!

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 02:55 PM

Hambil, on Aug 20 2004, 02:56 PM, said:

Call me suspicious, but my guess is Cheney announces he is resigning due to health problems some time between the convention and the election, and McCain becomes VP.
Oddly enough, this was an internet email rumor that floated around during the 2000 election.

#12 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 02:57 PM

ZipperInt, on Aug 21 2004, 07:40 PM, said:

Why, because he is supporting his party?  :blink:
No, because he's supporting Bush.  I considered him to be too intelligent to do that, and I am sorry to see that I was wrong.  

Or perhaps his intelligence has nothing to do with it.  Could be that he had a price.  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#13 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 03:01 PM

Nonny, on Aug 21 2004, 12:55 PM, said:

Or perhaps his intelligence has nothing to do with it.  Could be that he had a price.
Most people do in politics. I'm not even sure that's always a bad thing. You want to do as much as you can for your cause, whatever that is. Sometimes, you have to make so pretty difficult choices. I suspect this was one of those times.

#14 ZipperInt

ZipperInt
  • Islander
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 03:02 PM

Should he support Kerry then? Or just keep his mouth shut during the campaign? After the major smearing Bush did against him in 1999/2000, it does seem strange that McCain would be a strong supporter for Bush in this election, but I'm wouldn't be surprised if he does have a price/getting something in return, after all, it is politics...

Edit: Hambil brings up a good point. Sometimes tough choices must be made to advance your own cause, and McCain probably had to make a tough choice in this situation.

Edited by ZipperInt, 21 August 2004 - 03:03 PM.

#15 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 03:13 PM

Even if McCain does believe Bush did something awful and nasty to him, he's also on the record saying that even worse than that was done to him before by Kerry.

#16 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 03:34 PM

Delvo, on Aug 21 2004, 08:11 PM, said:

Even if McCain does believe Bush did something awful and nasty to him, he's also on the record saying that even worse than that was done to him before by Kerry.
Care to back that up with a cite?

McCain has said over and over again that despite their political differences he considers Kerry to be a personal friend and an honorable man.  Google the phrase "McCain praises Kerry" and you'll find all sorts of interesting stuff, going several years back.  

http://www.cnn.com/2...6/mccain.kerry/
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#17 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 07:28 PM

I can't link the source I originally got it from, so I had to go looking for another to use here. I found a few other items on the same subject that McCain was talking about in the incident I'm thinking of, but searching with his name just floods me with too many McCain articles on other subjects to find the ones on this subject. It was about how Kerry's activities during the war were useful to the enemy not only in the large sense of how they got the USA to stop fighting and give them a win, but also as a form of psychological torture and demoralization to their captives, who were tortured for refusing to sign papers claiming that what Kerry claimed. It's described by other POWs here and here, and North Vietnam honors and thanks Kerry for it as shown here.

#18 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 07:31 PM

MuseZack, on Aug 21 2004, 02:32 PM, said:

McCain has said over and over again that despite their political differences he considers Kerry to be a personal friend and an honorable man.
I have no doubt of that. But it only demonstrates that even if he believes someone has wronged him once or twice, he's willing to overlook or forgive it, or that if a group of people (such as the Vietnam protesters here years ago) did so, he's willing to exempt individuals from having it held against them by him.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Election 2004, GW Bush, John McCain

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users