Politics Libertarianism Anarchy 2004

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 10:52 PM

A jumping off point (obviously from my bias) for the discussion of anarchy and Libertarianism. I've met a number of people on-line who, while maybe not desiring pure anarchy, lean strongly in the direction of the 'good old lawless days'.

Ah yes, anarchy. Freedom from those pesky liberal laws. Those where the days...

http://www.cnn.com/2...n.ap/index.html

A 76-year-old man who spent nearly every day of the last four decades in prison walked free after a judge found that deputies extracted his confession to a 1962 robbery by crushing his fingers between cell bars.

State District Judge David Wilson, who dismissed Coney's charges, investigated and found that the sheriff of Angelina County at the time and his deputies used physical force to extract confessions, often crushing prisoners' fingers between jail cell bars.

When Wilson questioned Coney, the prisoner held up two twisted and bent fingers.

"I remember the sheriff well," Coney said.

He said the jailers, in addition to mangling his hand, threatened his life and scared him into confessing. Wilson's findings stated Coney probably did not see a lawyer until he stood before a judge in the case with then-court-appointed lawyer Gilbert Spring. Spring said he didn't remember Coney's case and told Wilson that courts frequently called attorneys in the 1960s to stand with defendants for no money.

"It really contains everybody's worst fears about what went on during certain darker years in this country," said Huntsville attorney David P. O'Neill, who worked on Coney's case.

Edited by Hambil, 20 August 2004 - 10:53 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Politics, Libertarianism, Anarchy, 2004

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users