• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#81 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 01:05 PM

StarDust, on Aug 25 2004, 10:59 AM, said:

Tax cuts are good for job growth, that's a fact.
Actually, it's an opinion. Even *I* admit that my beliefs in what is good for the economy are an opinion, because even economists can't agree. These are the kind of statements I find so crazy. Near fanatical belief in facts that just aren't facts.

#82 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 01:08 PM

Hambil, on Aug 25 2004, 01:01 PM, said:

In one moment you argue that things are going to be so close in this election that to say otherwise is outlandish, in the next you argue that non-liberals/democrats dramatically out number liberals/democrats.  :wacko:
These things are not contradictory. Or didn't you notice the part where he stated that just because someone votes for a Democrat doesn't make that person a Democrat. I fall into that category myself.  :cool:
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#83 Ro-Astarte

Ro-Astarte

goddess of love and blowing things up

• Islander
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 01:10 PM

Drew, on Aug 25 2004, 01:06 PM, said:

Hambil, on Aug 25 2004, 01:01 PM, said:

In one moment you argue that things are going to be so close in this election that to say otherwise is outlandish, in the next you argue that non-liberals/democrats dramatically out number liberals/democrats.  :wacko:
These things are not contradictory. Or didn't you notice the part where he stated that just because someone votes for a Democrat doesn't make that person a Democrat. I fall into that category myself.  :cool:
I'm not quite clear why this is seen as disputed.

I'm not a Democrat, and I'm for Kerry/Edwards.

Ro

#84 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 01:10 PM

I believe just the opposite. There are far more liberals than conservatives in the country. Unless you can show proof of any kind that you are right and I am wrong, then, we simply agree to disagree.

Edit: My proof, by the way, would be the very liberal press you complain about. If there is one thing the press, and business in general, is good at, it's playing to their audience.

Edited by Hambil, 25 August 2004 - 01:11 PM.

#85 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 01:30 PM

Hambil, on Aug 25 2004, 01:08 PM, said:

I believe just the opposite. There are far more liberals than conservatives in the country. Unless you can show proof of any kind that you are right and I am wrong, then, we simply agree to disagree.
I think there have been surveys done. But then, what is a "liberal"? I usually avoid labelling anyone as "liberal" or "conservative" because I don't think people are so easily categorized. But I don't deny anyone the right to categorize themselves.
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#86 Mr.Calgary

Mr.Calgary

Has left.

• Islander
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 04:25 PM

Hambil, on Aug 25 2004, 07:24 AM, said:

Mr.Calgary, on Aug 25 2004, 07:21 AM, said:

Hambil, on Aug 25 2004, 06:51 AM, said:

My point? Some people are not interested in debate. I don't know what they are interested in. Causing disruption maybe?
I must be losing my mind.   :crazy:

From my perspective, -you- have become the biggest disruption in OT.

In the last couple of days I've considered giving up on OT because of your negative "antics".
Provide examples. I'm open for discussion. I can point to at least three non-partisan threads I've started in the last day alone. And I'll bet that 90% or more of any inflamitory posts you can point to, are directly in response to an inflamitory post from someone else.
Provide examples????

How about if I just rely on you to reflect on how you've conducted yourself in threads?  Reread the posts if necessary.

I have no qualms over someone thowing passion into their writing.

As for "aggressive".......it's a little too close to someone just giving themselves permission to be rude.  Where does aggressive end and fanaticism begin?  

So 90% of the time when you're rude and snippy (read aggressive), it's because you were forced into it so no one would think they could beat-up on you?

:Oo:
Favourite Coda thread quotes.....

(1)  Yes. Bad Trance! Wicked, Evil Trance!

(2)  Stayed purple.   (3)  Bad, bad Trance!

(4)  Love and Blowing Things Up continue forever. The universe wins

#87 Coffee Please

Coffee Please
  • Islander
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 04:26 PM

I believe there are more moderate/centerists in the country than liberals or conservatives.  

Just a guess.

#88 Mr.Calgary

Mr.Calgary

Has left.

• Islander
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 04:33 PM

Drew, on Aug 25 2004, 08:34 AM, said:

I think the problem is that "Bush Hatred" is a sort of religion, and to attempt to dialogue with Bush-haters (as opposed to dialoging with someone who really has an open mind) is like attempting to convince a True Believer of the wrongness of his faith. Bush-hatred has been bubbling over for four years, beginning with catchphrases like "selected, not elected" and continuing onward to "Bush lied, people died." (Never mind that both these things are demonstrably false.) It will require quite a bit of time for reprogramming.

Hambil (sorry to use you as an example, but) has already made it clear that he hates Bush. "Hate" is the word he has used ever since he showed up. He has made no apologies for that. So I have already accepted that it will be nearly impossible for anyone to change his mind. I don't care to respond to people who are merely Bush-haters. The only reason I still respond to Hambil's posts is because I suspect that he hasn't entirely lost his sense of humor.  :cool:

A good call Drew,

I'm not looking to change his mind on Bush.  And yes, he hasn't entirely lost his sense of humour......

but his "I am right, you are wrong, end of story, Pfffffpt!" postering poisons any chance for rational discussion. (which he profusely claims he wants)

#89 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 04:34 PM

Mr.Calgary, on Aug 25 2004, 02:23 PM, said:

Hambil, on Aug 25 2004, 07:24 AM, said:

Mr.Calgary, on Aug 25 2004, 07:21 AM, said:

Hambil, on Aug 25 2004, 06:51 AM, said:

My point? Some people are not interested in debate. I don't know what they are interested in. Causing disruption maybe?
I must be losing my mind.   :crazy:

From my perspective, -you- have become the biggest disruption in OT.

In the last couple of days I've considered giving up on OT because of your negative "antics".
Provide examples. I'm open for discussion. I can point to at least three non-partisan threads I've started in the last day alone. And I'll bet that 90% or more of any inflamitory posts you can point to, are directly in response to an inflamitory post from someone else.
Provide examples????

How about if I just rely on you to reflect on how you've conducted yourself in threads?  Reread the posts if necessary.

I have no qualms over someone thowing passion into their writing.

As for "aggressive".......it's a little too close to someone just giving themselves permission to be rude.  Where does aggressive end and fanaticism begin?  

So 90% of the time when you're rude and snippy (read aggressive), it's because you were forced into it so no one would think they could beat-up on you?

:Oo:
I appreciate that you percieve me that way. However, since you either can't, or won't provide objective evidence, I will take it as an opinion to be weighed and considered with everyone elses. Thank you for speaking up.

#90 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 04:38 PM

Mr.Calgary, on Aug 25 2004, 02:31 PM, said:

but his "I am right, you are wrong, end of story, Pfffffpt!" postering poisons any chance for rational discussion. (which he profusely claims he wants)
Yes. But, to say that I am the only one that does it, is silly. I fact, it seems three to one in favor of the right at the moment, with the majority of the posts like you site coming from me (left) or Drew, Delvo and Ogami (right).

As for Bush Hatred being a problem, I am sure it is. As to it being THE problem, that's more of a stretch.

It's also worth mentioning that Clinton Hatred was just as bad. I had that pounded into me for eight years. Have we forgotten the clever nickname 'Slick Willy' already?

#91 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 05:01 PM

Chuckle. Here I thought it was the job of any sitting president to be 'hated' by the folks whose president lost the election.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#92 Mr.Calgary

Mr.Calgary

Has left.

• Islander
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 05:03 PM

Hambil, on Aug 25 2004, 02:36 PM, said:

Yes. But, to say that I am the only one that does it, is silly. I fact, it seems three to one in favor of the right at the moment, with the majority of the posts like you site coming from me (left) or Drew, Delvo and Ogami (right).
You're outnumbered!  

I was viewing it as even,  I certainly don't believe you're by yourself.

(edit)

Edited by Mr.Calgary, 25 August 2004 - 05:10 PM.

#93 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 05:06 PM

Folks... What's the point of this thread? To discuss each other? That really isn't what this forum is about.

Can't we get back to the issues? Any issues of substance would be nice.

#94 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 07:12 PM

Kevin Street, on Aug 25 2004, 05:04 PM, said:

Folks... What's the point of this thread? To discuss each other? That really isn't what this forum is about.

Can't we get back to the issues? Any issues of substance would be nice.
Geez, Kevin . . . just when we seem to be coming to an understanding about each other, you come in and shut us down.  :Oo:

#95 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 08:57 PM

I just wish I'd said something earlier.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: OT, Partisanship

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users