Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Do You Think Bush Has Run a Clean Campaign?

Election 2004 Campaign integrity GW Bush

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 10:08 AM

Robert Hewitt Wolfe, on Aug 25 2004, 11:42 AM, said:

Deep in some Kerry thread or other I wrote, in response to a direct question from a Bush supporter...

I guess people just missed that last question cause none of the Bush Supporters, including the one who asked me about Kerry, seems to want to answer it.
It just didn't seem to me to be worth bothering with, given the number of false accusations used as a premise, but, since you re-asked: Yes, because every accusation to the contrary has been false.

What do you think are the strengths of his campaign?  What is he doing right?
There aren't any particular strengths; it's very minimalist, and full of sappy emotionalism. Positively so, but that's not much better than negatively so. There's no meat in it.

#22 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 10:27 AM

Delvo, on Aug 26 2004, 10:06 AM, said:

There aren't any particular strengths; it's very minimalist, and full of sappy emotionalism. Positively so, but that's not much better than negatively so. There's no meat in it.
Hmmm. I suspect you think that because it's not being reported. Here's an example of one of Bush's stump speeches. (Happens to be the one I was at.) I think you'll find it's got plenty of content. Meaty beaty big and bouncy. (For a stump speech, anyway.)
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#23 Bouree57

Bouree57
  • Islander
  • 578 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 02:52 AM

Robert Hewitt Wolfe, on Aug 25 2004, 12:42 PM, said:

What I want to know is if you support Bush, what is your opinion about the way he is running his re-election campaign?  Are you happy with his actions in seeking re-election?  What do you think are the strengths of his campaign?  What is he doing right?  Do any of the things he's done that I mentioned above bother you?  If so, why?  If not, why not?
Big questions.

I can't blame 527s on either candidate. To blame one but not the other is hypocritical IMO. Both sides have very similar ties to 527s, but we don't live in 1984 and realistically you can't control the actions of others. That goes for both sides.

So 527s aside, I do believe that Bush is running a clean campaign for a man running for political office. That sounds a bit wishy-washy because I don't really have much faith in politicians these days but then I don't believe that Bush is a very good politician, not like Kerry.

Bush is too much a man of conviction. That is his strength and his biggest downfall. Iraq, I agree with. In his speech before invading he gave numerous reasons for going to war with Iraq. I agree with him. For me it was a matter of choice. When do you disarm a madman? Do you disarm him when he looks for guns? Or do you wait till he has the gun in his hand aiming it at you? Do you really need to wait till he fires that gun like bin Laden did on 9/11?

I think his strength is his biggest downfall because his religious views (which I see as the source of his strength) sometimes get in the way of being fair and just to all Americans. His stand on gay marriage, IMO, is unAmerican.

I think Kerry has run a relatively clean, positive, and issued-based campaign. He hasn't gone negative yet as far as I've noticed. He hasn't sunk to the level of the Swiftie ads, or tried to wrap himself in 911 imagery or pulled anything like Cheney's specious "sensative war" mocking, or attempted to suppress pictures of caskets, or used glib, negative and unfair labels like "Flipper," "flipflopper" or "waffler" to appeal to the simple-minded. He hasn't run on fear. He hasn't lied about the state of the situation in the Middle East (two new democracies my left-ass cheek). He's generally been running on his platform, trying to show America how he has a better plan than what the current administration does.

GWB hasn't sunk to the level of Swift ads either. Those are 527s and GWB campaign has done more to distance himself from them than the Kerry campaign has done for groups like ACT, Moveon.org or The Media Fund.

Kerry hasn't wrapped himself in 911 imagery but he has touted his Vietnam experience quite heavily IMO, all the while jumping on the bandwagon of those who have accused GWB of being AWOL. I consider that to be hypocritical. Kerry has angered some members of the National Guard as a result of this. I believe that Kerry won't be satisfied with a denouncement from Bush on the Swift Boats ads until Bush angers Swift Boat Veterans the same way.

FTR, I see (and I realized this is just my own opinion) 9/11 as GWB's war record. I believe he has a right to remind Americans who was President on that day. Let your own opinion be a guide as to whether he was a good Commander in Chief. I see this as Bush relying on his record to show Americans what kind of leader he is. I was disappointed that some ads showed questionable images but he does have a right to claim 9/11 as his war record IMO.

As to specious mocking, Kerry has avoided too many direct questions from the Bush campaign by complaining and pointing fingers while the issue goes unanswered. Every time any Republican speaks, he's automaticly a Bush goon. That's not fair and it's not honorable. As I said before we don't live in 1984. GWB speaks for himself, Cheney's view on gay marriage backs that up 100% IMO.

I don't believe that GWB lied about Iraq. I believe the information he was given wasn't as accurate as it could/should have been. But that's the fault of people working under him. You can fault him for not picking the right people for the right job, but to say he was lying isn't fair. It's his job to rely on the information he gets, not to get the information himself.

-- B
My words but a whisper, your deafness a shout!
I may make you feel but I can't make you think.
(from Thick as a Brick, Jethro Tull)

He who made kittens put snakes in the grass.
He's a lover of life but a player of pawns.
(from Bungle in the Jungle--War Child, JT)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Election 2004, Campaign integrity, GW Bush

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users