5 replies to this topic

#1 schoolpsycho

schoolpsycho
  • Islander
  • 893 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 01:03 PM

Hello.

http://money.cnn.com...dex.htm?cnn=yes

Someone please remind me again how it's always our fault if and when we're poor, and too lazy to want to get out of being poor.
Love is hard...and all there is.

#2 emsparks

emsparks
  • Forever Missed
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 01:28 PM

schoolpsycho, on Aug 26 2004, 02:01 PM, said:

Hello.

http://money.cnn.com...dex.htm?cnn=yes

Someone please remind me again how it's always our fault if and when we're poor, and too lazy to want to get out of being poor.
I’d explain how, why and when the public is condition to believe that, but I’d only be accused of lying again…

OH did I tell you poverty is a “lagging indicator.”...

Sparky::

Edited by emsparks, 26 August 2004 - 01:30 PM.

Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.

#3 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 01:32 PM

Imagine (both parties play this game) that you have three dozen major factors that can impact the economy (just to throw out a number). Two dozen are largely out of direct control, and one dozen are set by the policy of the government in charge. Now imagine, that things aren't going as well as you like, so you need to find the problem.

You write all three dozen factors down on slips of paper and place them face up on the desk. But, before you start searching them for problem, you turn over all the ones that are policy's you set, and refuse to consider them.

That's how the game is played. And that's why the people continue to lose, regardless of who is in power.

I believe it is a direct result of negative politics. The more you attack someone the more entrenched they become. Any change is considered waffling, or a sign of weakness. So, they stop questioning and start placing blame.

Edited by Hambil, 26 August 2004 - 01:33 PM.

#4 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 01:48 PM

Hambil:

I believe it is a direct result of negative politics. The more you attack someone the more entrenched they become. Any change is considered waffling, or a sign of weakness. So, they stop questioning and start placing blame.

Hambil I very much agree with you on this.

We have made 'being wrong', 'making a mistake', 'having a flaw', 'being weak', 'changeing ones mind' just as "evil"  as well...being evil, deliberately seeking to hurt others etc....rather than the part of the human condition that they are.

We have made it that our leaders can't be human, can't make mistakes,  can't be wrong.  They have to be perfect or we tear them to shreds.

an odd aside...

Part of me keeps coming back to the line from The American President..

"I was so busy trying to keep my job, I forgot to do my job."

Edited by Shalamar, 26 August 2004 - 01:48 PM.

The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#5 emsparks

emsparks
  • Forever Missed
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 02:39 PM

Hambil, on Aug 26 2004, 02:30 PM, said:

Imagine (both parties play this game) that you have three dozen major factors that can impact the economy (just to throw out a number). Two dozen are largely out of direct control, and one dozen are set by the policy of the government in charge. Now imagine, that things aren't going as well as you like, so you need to find the problem.

You write all three dozen factors down on slips of paper and place them face up on the desk. But, before you start searching them for problem, you turn over all the ones that are policy's you set, and refuse to consider them.

That's how the game is played. And that's why the people continue to lose, regardless of who is in power.

Let’s not forget to turn over the policies that your contributors paid you to write.

Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.

#6 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 02:53 PM

The Census Bureau's information takes time to process and comes out after the time that it applied to. The "poverty" information here is for last year... when unemployment was 0.8 percentage points higher than it is now. We'll get the equivalent information for this year some time next year.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Economy, Poverty, 2004

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users