#81 Ro-Astarte

Ro-Astarte

goddess of love and blowing things up

• Islander
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 11:26 PM

Drew, on Aug 25 2004, 08:05 PM, said:

Ro-Astarte, on Aug 25 2004, 07:31 PM, said:

Did you bother to read the article? Or just assume it was biased?

Bush, in his speeches, did not say directly that Hussein was culpable in the Sept. 11 attacks. But he frequently juxtaposed Iraq and al Qaeda in ways that hinted at a link. 
Look at those first two lines, then tell me that there isn't bias here.
Was that a wink?  :cool:
Which they then give specific examples from his speeches of.

Ro

#82 Ro-Astarte

Ro-Astarte

goddess of love and blowing things up

• Islander
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 11:29 PM

Now, they could quote Bush mentioning Iraq and Al Qaeda in the same paragraph and make a decent case that Bush was taking advantage of this extant predisposition, and, false or not, it could at least have some kind of a chance of making sense.

I think that's what they are saying.

There's a way of de-escalating rhetoric (separating the two subjects in your speeches is one way) that was not chosen because it didn't suit the administrations purposes. While this is no different than any other administration might do, to claim it was not done with purpose seems disingenous to me.

Ro

#83 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 02:43 PM

Talk about bad taste.

http://news.yahoo.co...l/oly_bush_ad_2

Please take special notice of the last paragraph:

President Bush (news - web sites)'s re-election campaign refused a request by the U.S. Olympic Committee on Thursday to pull a television ad that mentions the Olympics.

Bush campaign spokesman Scott Stanzel said the ads will continue through Sunday, the final day of the Athens Games.

"We are on firm legal ground to mention the Olympics to make a factual point in a political advertisement," Stanzel said.

The USOC asked the campaign to pull the ads on Thursday, committee spokesman Darryl Seibel said. The ad shows a swimmer and the flags of Iraq (news - web sites) and Afghanistan (news - web sites).

"In 1972, there were 40 democracies in the world. Today, 120," an announcer says. "Freedom is spreading throughout the world like a sunrise. And this Olympics there will be two more free nations. And two fewer terrorist regimes."

Some of the players on the Iraqi Olympic soccer team have complained about the ad appearing as part of a political campaign.

The International Olympic Committee (news - web sites) and the USOC have the authority to regulate the use of anything involving the Olympics.

"We own the rights to the Olympic name, and no one has asked us," said Gerhard Heiberg, the Norwegian IOC (news - web sites) representative and IOC market commission leader.

Heiberg told the Norwegian news agency NTB: "We're watching, and we hope they will stop the commercial."

An act of Congress, last revised in 1999, grants the USOC exclusive rights to such terms as "Olympic," derivatives such as "Olympiad" and the five interlocking rings. It also specifically says the organization "shall be nonpolitical and may not promote the candidacy of an individual seeking public office."

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#84 Ilphi

Ilphi
  • Islander
  • 4,071 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 02:49 PM

Just a heads up, in case you missed it, to say that Shaun has a thread going along similar lines here  :cool:
Yea, ere my hot youth pass, I speak to my people and say:
Ye shall be foolish as I; ye shall scatter, not save;
Ye shall venture your all, lest ye lose what is more than all;
Ye shall call for a miracle, taking Christ at His word.
And for this I will answer, O people, answer here and hereafter,
The Fool - Padraic Pearse

#85 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 02:59 PM

You can merge  this with that, if you would.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#86 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 03:09 PM

One merge coming up per request
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#87 Ilphi

Ilphi
  • Islander
  • 4,071 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 03:09 PM

Would that I could :)

Outside of GMD, my moderatorly power is sapped away like in every science fiction series ever made... I can feel my powers withering... I must return to my crypt...

Or, in other words, I'll have to wait for one of the OT mods to see it  :cool:
Yea, ere my hot youth pass, I speak to my people and say:
Ye shall be foolish as I; ye shall scatter, not save;
Ye shall venture your all, lest ye lose what is more than all;
Ye shall call for a miracle, taking Christ at His word.
And for this I will answer, O people, answer here and hereafter,
The Fool - Padraic Pearse

#88 HubcapDave

HubcapDave

Bald is Beautiful!

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 03:14 PM

Ah, that explains the name change on the thread.

#89 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 11:25 AM

Delvo wrote:

The funny thing about the claim that Bush created the impression that Iraq caused the attacks on the USA is that no matter which side you're on or which pundits or news sources you listen to, we all have the direct experience that disproves it: Iraq had already been seen by the public, rightly or wrong, as the big enemy that would do such a thing, for a long time. It had tried to assassinate a President. It had a famous tendency to violate its terms of surrender, shoot at our pilots, make a mockery of the pathetic weapons inspections while they were there and kick them out on a whim, and continue boasting about its past and future victories over us.

Delvo, Ted Kennedy says that this was all a lie "invented in Crawford Texas".

Do you really want to put yourself in the position of disagreeing with the Senator?

After all, he is a river of integrity. (Oops, did I say river? Bad choice of words.)

-Ogami

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bush, Politics, Campaign Ads, Olympics, Soccer Team

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users