#41 Jazzer

Jazzer

Here I am

• Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 01:04 AM

sierraleone, on Aug 27 2004, 11:26 AM, said:

Jazzergold, on Aug 27 2004, 10:22 AM, said:

In an episode of ST:Voyager called "Initiations", there was what I thought was a sickeningly politically correct scene when Chakotay was trying to talk a young Kazon out of shooting down Chakotay's ship to earn some rite of passage.  Chakotay said something like: "I'm a gentle man.  I studied hard to earn this uniform." 

Give me a break!  Part of the purpose of Star Fleet was also military when needed.  Chakotay had to do more than study to qualify as Starfleet personnel.  Plus, he had been a member of the Maquis who rebelled against the Federation to fight the Cardassians.  The scene was an attempt to portray a man as having a much more feminine side.  But it wasn't quite consistent. 

Then a few seasons later in another episode called "The Fight" they showed that Chakotay liked boxing as a hobby.  So much for being a "gentle man".  I guess they decided the earlier version of him was too much of (get ready, I'm about to utter something politically incorrect) "gasp!"   :eek4:  a "girlie man".
I don't really recall the episoid other than some young Kazon doing something bad, so I don't recall that scene, I'll have to take your word for it.

But to me it hardly matters. First of all, being aggressive in atheltics, does not neccessarily make some aggressive in their personal life, or professional life outside of sports. Also, being gentle, does not preclude the possibility of being tough when needed/when you feel a cause.

So I don't think its paradoxical for someone to essentially think themself gentle, but play aggressive sports and rebel in a cause they think is just.

I don't remember all the details of the episode, but as they were flying along each in their own shuttlecraft, I think Chakotay was trying to find out why this kid was trying to shoot him down.  The young Kazon told him something like he had to kill someone to earn his clan name (or something like that).  It was some rite of passage and if he didn't succeed, he would be forever shamed or some such.  

Somewhere in the conversation, in trying to relate to the boy, I think Chakotay tried comparing the boy's trying to earn his clan name to Chakotay earning the Star Fleet uniform he wore.  The boy asked what Chakotay had to do to earn his uniform and Chakotay said he had to study hard.  Concerning Chakotay's life was being threatened by someone from a warrior mentality type society, saying "I studied hard to earn this uniform" doesn't sound like something that would earn much respect from someone from such a society.  

Concerning Chakotay had been in combat before, he had to have combat training, but he didn't mention that.  To imply all he had to do was study to earn his uniform was also unrealistic in the context of Star Trek's overall universe.  I can understand trying to negoiate a way out of being killed if you were at a disadvantage, but it also just struck me as weird that Chakotay was in a combat situation and he's telling the person who's trying to kill him "I'm a gentle man."  It seemed to me that the dialogue could have been better written.  

Anyway, I think Chakotay talked the boy into "taking him captive" instead of killing him, hoping that would meet the requirements of the rite of passage of earning his clan name.  I can't remember exactly how the episode ended.  

I'm personally not fond of sports like boxing and wrestling.  Especially in boxing, I've heard that some boxers say they need a strong instinct and impulse to knock the cr*p out of their opponent.  That doesn't sound gentle to me.  

And we're talking about a purely fictional show anyway, so whatever...  

Just as an interesting note, the actor who played the Kazon boy in the episode also played Nog in ST:DS9.
Unanswered questions aren't nearly as dangerous as unquestioned answers.

#42 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 10:28 AM

Hambil wrote:

McCarthy was a republican.

Right, and the modern Democrat party is the inheritor of his legacy.

The term political correctness has only been around since the 1980s. It refers to how the Left uses intimidation, blackmail, and censorship to impose their views on everyone else.

Moveon.org puts ads in every state, every day, non-stop? That's free speech, that's to be praised. Swift Boat vets do the same thing, on a much smaller scale? They must be stopped, they must be silenced! It's like a scene out of Donald Sutherland's Invasion of the Body Snatchers. The left just points and lets out an inhuman moan when they see thought that deviates from their approved line.

No one ever demanded Al Franken or his liberal pals not be permitted to speak on the radio. Yet how often have liberals demanded that Rush Limbaugh be forcibly taken off the air? California Democrats get away with making the wildest personal accusations, yet let their governer say "Girlie men", and the inhuman moans start up again.

McCarthy has been a bogeyman for my entire lifetime, the lesson that liberals drow on constantly to denounce anyone who disagrees with them. But in actual practice, when it comes to silencing and intimidating others, the liberal left has become his natural successor in that regard.

How pleasing to me, however, that the American public has come a long way in viewing the intolerant left for what it really is. They're not fooled.

-Ogami

Edited by Ogami, 28 August 2004 - 10:32 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Politics, 2004, Entertainment bias

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users