• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#61 WildChildCait

WildChildCait

And from the ashes of fire, she is reborn

• Islander
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 29 August 2004 - 04:51 PM

Erisinia, No worries, all got our own value system ;-) 'it's just the works for one religion' ..i'm afraid that may have been a direct translation from the dutch, sorry. What I meant by that is, it's just the scripture for one religion, or one doctrine. Christianity may be one of the larger religions around, but each religion has it's own holy scriptures, and some of them, some don't even have holy scriptures. To base an opinion about an aspect of an entire society made up out of people of this multitude (and expecting them to feel the same way) on the works of one religion is thinking very within that religion, but leaves some of the rest of us a mite underappreciated. ;-)

Though most faiths holy tennets do tend along the same lines, i'll grant you.
RIP Ruby Medallion: 31-10-1999/21-05-2007
one gender-reassigned, world travelling, world class snake.

FKA Chaddee, amongst other things.
http://scentedalchemy.webs.com Custom handmade bath and body products

#62 Jude

Jude

Cheerfully inept

• Islander
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 29 August 2004 - 09:37 PM

I certainly understand where you're coming from. :D And I don't expect anyone non-Christian to live by the Bible-if you don't believe, that'd just be silly. I believe not of my own intellect, but taking God's word for it, if you will. ;)  (I'm trying to avoid pretentiousness here, by all means tell me if I fail :wacko: )  

While I don't expect just anyone to have their opinion changed because of someone else's holy book, in my religion it's not really 'different religion are right for different people' ;) else I wouldn't say anything at all. I'm getting muddled in the sleepy clarify of my thoughts so I'll bugger off now. :tired:

Peace! :cool:

#63 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 08:50 PM

Erisinia, on Aug 29 2004, 04:28 PM, said:

sierra; Don' fret. :D I'm no Bible expert myself. And personally I like your idea of God giving us the impulses to be resisted; for instance, I do believe that some people are biologically more inclined to be alcoholic (I think that's it?) so it's not outside the realm of possibility. Which would make sense with the animal aspect; they don't have souls. Totally different creatures. :upside: But God also said that there are no trials too great to be overcome.
Which *wouldn't* make sense with the animal aspect, I happen to think animals have spirits as well. Maybe not 'free-will', but they are certainly part of the ever-lasting fabric of the Universe. When I look at nature it is something very special, also a loving part of creation. Just my opinion. I feel God loves every part of his creation. And for him to make them do something that is against what path he wants us to follow doesn't set right with me.

I do believe that everyone has things to over-come in their lives, whether its root be biological, physcological, spiritual, etc, whichever, but it still comes down to me saying that homosexuality isn't wrong (I don't call it right either, its amoral IMO, except in certain contexts, just like any sex).
Alcoholics... even if you are single/familyless you are wasting away your potential in so many ways, which is wrong, maybe not in a strict moral sense, depending on where you draw your lines, but it is wrong none the less. Not good for the individual and their life, nor for people around him. Alcholism destroys lives, I don't see how homosexual does in most contexts, except in what society attitudes have caused homosexuals to do (or straight people to do to them) (keeping them in the closest until they've gotten married and had kids, or discriminating against them, etc).

Like I said, sex is amoral except in certain contexts, non-consensual (whether by legal-age or that one adult didn't consent) or cheating on a partner. Or, in some people's opinion, it is outside of marriage. Which is another reason to legalize same-sex unions/marriages  :devil:  :whistle:  :angel: I know it won't likely change most of their opinions  ;) But it will likely change some people's opinons if they don't believe in sex outside of marriage, because they believe in formalized relationships before sex because they believe in responsibility, but don't believe it only because (or iregardless) of religion.

I certainly understand where you're coming from.  And I don't expect anyone non-Christian to live by the Bible-if you don't believe, that'd just be silly. I believe not of my own intellect, but taking God's word for it, if you will.  (I'm trying to avoid pretentiousness here, by all means tell me if I fail  )

While I don't expect just anyone to have their opinion changed because of someone else's holy book, in my religion it's not really 'different religion are right for different people' 

Either side could say the other is pretentious, I figure its an even playing field ;) (Note: the follow is not suppose to resemble anyone in act or thought that I know :) )

Religious zealot: You don't follow anything, you just follow what you feel is right? How are you to assume you know what is right or wrong yourself?

Anti-religious zealot: You presume to think that everyone should follow what some man wrote 2000 yrs ago presumable what God told them to?

;)

I more agree with Chaddee though. A world where everyone (supposively) followed the same thing would oppress some people because invariable, people wouldn't fit into that mold. Even if there weren't laws, the atmosphere would be oppressive IMO.

Edited by sierraleone, 31 August 2004 - 10:05 PM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: LGBT, Homosexuality, Biological

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users