• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 Gefiltefishmon

Gefiltefishmon

Oolong Caluphids Private Secretary

• Islander
  • 789 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 08:21 PM

And let's not forget that almost all of Texas's fresh water supplies come from the north - guess you boys'll have to learn how to drink petroleum - 'cause ya won't have any water!
"To know that you do not know is the best. To act from the pretense that you know when you do not know is a disease" - Lao Tzu

"From All, One; and From One, All" - Heraclitus

"Let me be clear: however the world's goblet turns there will always be those drunk on the wine of the Self" - Ghalib

"A 'politically savvy challenge to evolution' is as self-evidently ridiculous as an agriculturally savvy challenge to euclidean geometry would be." - Charles Pierce

#22 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 08:49 PM

Not quite true...the Edwards Aquifer is one of the largest there is. And we have plenty of artesian springs...

A few years ago here they were digging the foundation forf an apartment complex, stopped work for the night and came back the next morning to find the whole thing some 20 feet deep in water, all their big equipment submerged, and a nice spring doing a immitation of a geyser.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#23 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 09:58 PM

tennyson, on Aug 27 2004, 05:58 PM, said:

The Texas Air National Guard has more combat aircraft than the entire Mexican Air Force just for starters.
Yeah, but they don't have the highest standards for pilots, do they?   :Oo:  Or have they improved since the 70s?   :look:

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#24 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 10:00 PM

Robert Hewitt Wolfe, on Aug 27 2004, 04:46 PM, said:

Wouldn't it be better to just secede now, before the election?  That way you can have whatever president you want and we won't have to count your electoral college votes.  =P
And take Florida with you?   :whistle:

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#25 Gefiltefishmon

Gefiltefishmon

Oolong Caluphids Private Secretary

• Islander
  • 789 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 10:12 PM

^LOL - ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"To know that you do not know is the best. To act from the pretense that you know when you do not know is a disease" - Lao Tzu

"From All, One; and From One, All" - Heraclitus

"Let me be clear: however the world's goblet turns there will always be those drunk on the wine of the Self" - Ghalib

"A 'politically savvy challenge to evolution' is as self-evidently ridiculous as an agriculturally savvy challenge to euclidean geometry would be." - Charles Pierce

#26 emsparks

emsparks
  • Forever Missed
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 10:23 PM

If Bush wins, unless I miss my guess, after the New Yorkers, get finished with the Republican Convention, there will be renewed calls by the republicans to cut off New York city and let it float out to sea. Hell the republicans have been trying to get rid of NYC since the middle sixties.

Sparky::
Sparky::

Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.

#27 Jazzer

Jazzer

Here I am

• Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 12:23 AM

Yes, indeedy, this was intended to be a light-hearted thread.  :D  

For the few who seem to take this too seriously, it does take some of the fun out of it if you have to explain that something was intended as humor or to be light-hearted.  

I'm not seriously for the secession of Texas, but it comes up as a joke from time to time.  During the years Clinton was President, there were some people who were quite serious about wanting to secede.  I met one once.  I thought he didn't exactly row with both oars in the water.  But everyone's entitled to their opinions.  

And for the record, there's quite a diversity of people who live in Texas.  Not everyone fits the stereotypes.  I don't dress like a cowboy or cowgirl and I don't own a gun.  With a few exceptions, I'm personally not too fond of country music.  But to each his own...  

And now, for a little more humor...  

Tex-isms .......  

1. AS WELCOME AS A SKUNK AT A LAWN PARTY.  (Self-explanatory)

2. TIGHTER THAN BARK ON A TREE.  (Not very generous)

3. BIG HAT, NO CATTLE.  (All talk and no action)

4. WE'VE HOWDIED BUT WE AIN'T SHOOK YET.  (We've made a brief acquaintance but have not been formally  introduced.)

5. HE THINKS THE SUN CAME UP JUST TO HEAR HIM CROW.  (He has a pretty high opinion of himself.)

6. IT'S SO DRY THE TREES ARE BRIBIN' THE DOGS.  (We really could use a little rain around here.)

7. JUST BECAUSE A CHICKEN HAS WINGS DOESN'T MEAN IT CAN FLY.  (Appearances can be deceptive.)

8. THIS AIN'T MY FIRST RODEO.  (I've been around awhile.)

9. HE LOOKS LIKE THE DOG'S BEEN KEEPING HIM UNDER THE PORCH.   (Not the most handsome of men.)

10. THEY ATE SUPPER BEFORE THEY SAID GRACE.  (Living in sin)

11. WE'RE IN TALL COTTON.  (Things are going well.)

12. AS FULL OF WIND AS A CORN-EATIN' HORSE.   (Rather prone to boasting)

13. YOU CAN PUT YOUR BOOTS IN THE OVEN BUT THAT DON'T MAKE THEM BISCUITS.  (You can say whatever you want about something, but it doesn't change what it is.)

If anyone else has some funny sayings from where you're from, feel free to contribute!
Unanswered questions aren't nearly as dangerous as unquestioned answers.

#28 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 12:56 AM

The 'Okie' Test

Take the Okie Test

No cheating!

My Score: 140

Edited by D'Monix, 28 August 2004 - 01:10 AM.

#29 Shalamar

Shalamar

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 01:01 AM

LOL D"!

15. If you've ever dined under the soulful gaze of a mounted 12-point buck, add 4.  If you thought he was delicious, add 5 more.

Yes he was delicious!
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#30 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 01:11 AM

Shalamar, on Aug 28 2004, 05:59 AM, said:

LOL D"!

15. If you've ever dined under the soulful gaze of a mounted 12-point buck, add 4.  If you thought he was delicious, add 5 more.

Yes he was delicious!
Yes he was :)

And i have dined ina place where i can get my chicken fried steak, gas up, read the paper, etc. etc...

#31 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 01:14 AM

Gefiltefishmon, on Aug 27 2004, 07:19 PM, said:

And let's not forget that almost all of Texas's fresh water supplies come from the north - guess you boys'll have to learn how to drink petroleum - 'cause ya won't have any water!
Nope. We have aquifers and lots of manmade lakes.

btw ... I think it's actually an urban legend that Texas can leave the Union. Split into 5 states, yes, leave entirely, no.

btw 2, the treaty in 1848 was The Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo, the treaty between the US and Mexico ending the Mexican American War, which started in 1845 because the US annexed Texas.

When Texas was annexed in 1845 it retained the right to fly its flag at the same height as the national flag. :)

I'm not takin that Okie test... I am already an '[whispermode]Honorary Okie[/whispermode] one weekend in June every year... giggle. I took it ... but it just said I'm a TEXAN! LOL :)

;)

Wait a sec... we're NOT trading Dallas for Seattle! Neiman Marcus is in Dallas! The Cowboys are in Dallas! EEP! Let's trade em Houston!!

LOL!

Edited by Shoshana, 28 August 2004 - 01:23 AM.

#32 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 01:25 AM

Shoshana, on Aug 28 2004, 06:12 AM, said:

I'm not takin that Okie test... I am already an '[whispermode]Honorary Okie[/whispermode] one weekend in June every year...
This is true, you are a member of the 'Okie Pride' :)  which is a rare thing, and only a few have been adopted thus.

Besides who else would I have to do bodyguard duty for to keep the freaks at bay once a year?

#33 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 01:26 AM

/////D'

:cool:  Is true!

D' makes a grrrrreat! bodyguard :)

'shana

#34 Shalamar

Shalamar

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 01:38 AM

'shana, I can believe that!

Posted Image

#35 GiGi

GiGi

Lipstick wearing PIG kisser!

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 01:42 AM

I got -53 on the Okie test.  Guess us Hippie chicks are a different breed!   :D
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#36 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 01:54 AM

I only managed a -12 on the Okie test, got all the civilized tribes, knew what happened to the USS Oklahoma, read the Grapes of Wrath and so on but it just wasn't enough to put me over the top.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

#37 Morrhigan

Morrhigan
  • Islander
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 02:38 AM

Here's another Texasism:

My dogs are barkin'. (My feet hurt.)
Posted Image

#38 Davesnothome

Davesnothome
  • Islander
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 11:10 AM

Sports wise, Texas leaving the union has many advantages, and some disadvantages. In college football, the rest of the countries college teams will lose that guaranteed win every time they play a Texas college in a crucial game., as the NCAA probably won't let them stay in their organization, as a 'foreign' nation.  :D

We'll have a ready excuse to keep Mark whatisname, the goofy owner of Dallas Marvericks out of the rest of the country. Hmmm. the same for the gentleman who owns the Cowboys!  :D

Well, we will lose all those World Series victory celebrations of the Texas major league teams! What? They haven't won one? Never mind!!!  :lol:

The NHL in Texas. Well as long as Canada doesn't mind sending its home grown players to play down there, we'll let it be!

Actually, with the rest of the south still in the union, we'll still have steady stream of rodeos, stock car racing, tractor pulls, river boat gambling and moonshine! So I guess we won't miss you as much as I first thought!  :lol:

yankee Dave (No...not from New York! Tongue firmly in cheek!!!)

Edited by Davesnothome, 28 August 2004 - 11:21 AM.

#39 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 29 August 2004 - 02:59 PM

I've lived and traveled all over the United States of America.  What a beautiful place.  Deserts, mountains, prairies ...  I like waking up early in the morning to the clinking noise pig feeders make.  I like sitting on the beach, feet in the water, as the tide comes in.  I like watching for the rainbow hued droplets of water left suspended in the air as trout jump out of the lake.  I like the tumbleweeds and swirling dust devils in the Panhandle and the snow covered slopes in New Mexico.  I like the whole country - all of it, every last bit of it.  Even the swamps full of crocodiles and bloodsucking mosquitos.  Even the Gulf full of jellyfish and the ocean full of sharks.  But, Texas is my home.  I was born in Texas and no matter where I go to live for a few years, I always come back home.  We have Indian Paintbrushes, Bluebonnets, yellow roses, dogwood trees and the Azalea Trails.  We have Ruby Red Chili and Tex-Mex.  We have stars in the sky and only a few cities so big and bright at night you can't see them.

So far as elections and seceding, that is just an argument.  Throughout human history them that will war will war.

#40 Happy Phantom

Happy Phantom

Chasing nuns out in the yard

• Islander
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 29 August 2004 - 03:44 PM

lol...I scored a -52...and I was *born* there.
<~~~Rebekah, Viper pilot. Callsign: "Flash"

And if I die today I'll be the happy phantom. And I will never need umbrellas in the rain. - "Happy Phantom", Tori Amos

Lee and Kara | River Tam | Simon Tam | Beka Valentine | Legolas | Charlie Eppes

Formerly BekaMP3

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Election 2004, John Kerry, Texas

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users