25 replies to this topic

#21 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 04:17 PM

Drew, on Aug 27 2004, 07:14 AM, said:

It may not seem like much to the rest of you, but when John Kerry visited Green Bay this week (for the third time), he referred to the Packers' stadium as "Lambert Field."  :eek2:
Oh dear.

That's like mixing up the Super Bowl with the Sugar Bowl...

:wacko:
Posted Image

#22 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 04:19 PM

There are plenty of French place-names in Wisconsin that John Kerry would probably pronounce correctly. Lac Court Oreilles, for example. Or Lac Vieux Desert. But he oughta stay out of Prairie Du Chien, which surrendered to Americanization and is pronounced "Prairie Doo Sheen."  :cool:
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#23 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 09:29 PM

Cyberhippie, on Aug 27 2004, 02:17 PM, said:

all this over a misnamed football field??!?! are you sure you guys don't take your football a mite too seriously?
Sad, innit?  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#24 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 10:25 PM

Drew, on Aug 27 2004, 05:27 PM, said:

StarDust, on Aug 27 2004, 11:14 AM, said:

Hasn't there been a few other similar gaffs by Kerry a month or two ago?
Yeah, . . . he talked enthusiastically about "Buckeye Football," . . . while campaigning in Michigan! Oops! :cool:

(After the boos started and he realized where he was, he backed off quickly saying that he only said that when he was in Ohio, but Michigan had a great team with a "Big M" on it, or some such thing.)

We had a thread on it a month or so back.  ;)
At least he didn't mix up University of Michigan and Michigan State University football.  :eek4:  That's lots worse if there are fans of both right there listening. :lol:
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#25 tallulah

tallulah
  • Islander
  • 574 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 10:38 PM

Not trying to make a statement one way or the other, but I think the mix-up came about because St. Louis Airport is called Lambert Field.  Edwards was (still is?) here; perhaps that was on Kerry's mind?

T.
Three L's and an H.
--The Doctor

Dinner and bondage.  Works for me.
--Margaret, Dr. Who, though, really, it could be anyone

When nice girls learn to respect themselves, they'll always finish first.
--Marin, Men in Trees

#26 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 12:56 AM

Given both Kerry's and Bush's schedules I often wonder how they know just where they are any given night..

and yeah its spelled 'Cowboys'.... anything for Texas, even if I can't abide Dallas...
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Election 2004, John Kerry

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users