31 replies to this topic

#1 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 11:53 PM

Hello,

Recently, there's been a revival of the unfortunate practice of accusing somebody of being a troll.

This is wrong on multiple levels.
1) If somebody IS a troll, then it redirects conversation such that the debate is over a person, instead of the issue at hand. In effect, you're dragging the dialogue down to the level that the troll wants. In that case, the troll wins.

2) If somebody's not a troll, then it's wrong for obvious reasons.

Given that it's never productive, and that it's inconsistent with the agreed upon guidelines...

1. All members will treat all others with respect. Even the most confrontational poster is a person behind the screen name. Please try to assume the best possible intention in all situations and allow for the possibility of misunderstanding on your part or temporary stresses on the other party.

... consider this a reminder from the staff: Calling somebody a troll won't be tolerated. You'll be asked to edit it. If you don't edit it, a mod may do it. If a pattern starts to occur, your posting privileges may be suspended. it's like any other insult, perhaps worse. If you need to bring a complaint to AQG, debate the posts, not the people.

A thread with this will also be going up soon in AQG.

Drew applies to you. Please consider yourself warned for behavior that is unacceptable.

There is such a thing as 'the spirit of the guidelines'.  It is totally hypocritical to say that you are staying with in the guidelines and trounce all over the spirit of those guide lines.

Crossing the written guidelines, crossing the spirit of the guidelines...both are wrong and those who do so will be called on it.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#2 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 01:05 AM

Nods.

#3 Morrhigan

Morrhigan
  • Islander
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 02:50 AM

Thank you, Shal. I hope this improves the atmosphere of the board. :)
Posted Image

#4 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 08:14 AM

OK, what did I miss?
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#5 Ro-Astarte

Ro-Astarte

goddess of love and blowing things up

• Islander
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 09:19 AM

Check AQG, LotS.

Ro

#6 WildChildCait

WildChildCait

And from the ashes of fire, she is reborn

• Islander
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 12:34 PM

Go Shal
RIP Ruby Medallion: 31-10-1999/21-05-2007
one gender-reassigned, world travelling, world class snake.

FKA Chaddee, amongst other things.
http://scentedalchemy.webs.com Custom handmade bath and body products

#7 Shalamar

Shalamar

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 12:52 PM

I want every one to please understand that if you feel that some one is trolling/ baiting/ flameing you can ALWAYS bring it to me - or any mod or admin- via PM.

And yes it will be looked into with every seriousness.

How ever making the claim in public, in a thread, is not acceptable.

I can't be here all the time, but I will answer PM's as soon as I am able.

Please remember that we mostly live in different time zones and have RW lives to muddle through.
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#8 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 02:18 PM

Shalamar, on Aug 27 2004, 11:51 PM, said:

Drew applies to you. Please consider yourself warned for behavior that is unacceptable.
Excuse me? I'm being warned for this? :wacko:

Ilphi, I told you it wouldn't do any good to try to explain myself in a PM. I shouldn't have bothered. PMs are for suckers who think that the mods actually listen.

By the way, the watchdogs can prevent mods from slamming members in the Staff Lounge, but isn't it great that you still get to be nasty SOBs and slander EI members on other message boards like the Troll Kingdom.

If that's not violating the "spirit of the guidelines," I don't know what else is.

Edited by Drew, 28 August 2004 - 02:18 PM.

"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#9 Shalamar

Shalamar

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 03:03 PM

Drew yes you are being warned for unacceptable behavior.

Calling some one a troll is unacceptable. Bullying some one while not violateing the letter of the guidelines but certainly violateing the spirit of the guidelines is unacceptable.

Calling some one a troll, or bullying them because they do not agree with you violates the letter in one instance and the spirit in the other.

Carefully steps aside and takes the mod hat off...

And since you brought it up in public.  I have not said a single thing at TK that I have not said here.  Anything I have said I would have said to your face.  Calling you a bully or some one with an ingrained habit that maybe they can't see any more is not slander, but  my opinon and my conclusions.

I registered there useing my 'real' handle, and never tried to hide my ties to EI, or slander or smear any one.

Steps back and puts mod hat back on

Posted Image

#10 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 03:07 PM

Shalamar, on Aug 28 2004, 03:01 PM, said:

Drew yes you are being warned for unacceptable behavior.

Calling some one a troll is unacceptable. Bullying some one while not violateing the letter of the guidelines but certainly violateing the spirit of the guidelines is unacceptable.

Calling some one a troll, or bullying them because they do not agree with you violates the letter in one instance and the spirit in the other.
And your evidence of these accusations is . . . ?

Edited by Drew, 28 August 2004 - 03:09 PM.

"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#11 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 03:27 PM

I'm waiting . . .

#12 Shalamar

Shalamar

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 03:45 PM

Drew, as I said in the thread in AQG, I refuse to pull up post after post, just to provide evidence.  

I also said I refuse to speculate as to whether it is an ingrained behaivor that you haven't looked at or deliberate.  Only you know that for sure.

However it was done it is bullying and that won't be tolerated any longer as it abrogates the spirit of the guidelines.

Posted Image

#13 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 03:55 PM

Shalamar, on Aug 28 2004, 03:43 PM, said:

Drew, as I said in the thread in AQG, I refuse to pull up post after post, just to provide evidence. 
This is nonsense. You haven't got any evidence. If you were looking for nastiness in the OT, look no further than the man who shares my birthday.

I also said I refuse to speculate as to whether it is an ingrained behaivor that you haven't looked at or deliberate.  Only you know that for sure.

Nice. You have no evidence; you claim you refuse to speculate, and then suggest I consult my conscience in order to absolve yourself from having to back up your ludicrous accusations.

However it was done it is bullying and that won't be tolerated any longer as it abrogates the spirit of the guidelines.

What you are doing is bullying, and I will tolerate it no longer. You are in violation of the guidelines.

Edited by Drew, 28 August 2004 - 04:11 PM.

#14 Shalamar

Shalamar

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 04:34 PM

Take it to the other mods and Admins Drew if you think you have a case against me.

I'm not going to not do my job, or run away in fear of your accusations.

Calling you on your actions is not bullying. It goes with being a moderator.

Posted Image

#15 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 04:40 PM

Shalamar, on Aug 28 2004, 04:32 PM, said:

Take it to the other mods and Admins Drew if you think you have a case against me.
This whole experience has shown me that taking it to the mods is for suckers.

And I would recommend that next time you call someone on his actions, you actually have "actions" to call him on.

#16 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 06:07 PM

By the way, the watchdogs can prevent mods from slamming members in the Staff Lounge, but isn't it great that you still get to be nasty SOBs and slander EI members on other message boards like the Troll Kingdom.

Bull. They were nothing if not polite in that thread. Yes, they probably picked the wrong place to announce their intentions but that's life.

I'm tired of you pulling the persecution complex out every time you feel that your tender sensibilities are being violated.

Shal is frankly doing her job. If that job includes putting you on the spot for your behavior, than so be it.
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#17 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 06:18 PM

Josh, on Aug 28 2004, 06:05 PM, said:

Shal is frankly doing her job. If that job includes putting you on the spot for your behavior, than so be it.
What behavior? That's what I'd still like to know. That's what she refuses to explain.

#18 Ro-Astarte

Ro-Astarte

goddess of love and blowing things up

• Islander
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 06:29 PM

Shal posted this after extensive consultation in the Staff Lounge.

Drew,  I find it hard to believe you don't understand that what you do with subtle innuendo and juxtaposition of language did with Hambil is a warnable offense.  

Rov is compiling a list of the specific posts, and should be doing that shortly, but I'll give you the general gist from my POV, little though I know you will count it.

In the middle of a fight in a thread, you revived the thread in which he was called a troll by RR, who is probably roaring with laughter right now at how he played you. Yes, you.

Then, you revived the implication the very next day when it suited you to discredit Hambil's posting. There was no question or request for clarification in your post.

" Or . . . dammit, Hambil, you're setting off the warning bells again!"

For all I know RR's or a dual of his is the one who clued you in to the thread you're so excited about. Then again, you already knew about TK, and you even suggested you'd registered there.

Which, FTR, doesn't make you a troll any more than it did Hambil or than linking a thread he'd started to the Trolling one does.

Ro

#19 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 06:32 PM

Ro-Astarte, on Aug 28 2004, 06:27 PM, said:

In the middle of a fight in a thread, you revived the thread in which he was called a troll by RR, who is probably roaring with laughter right now at how he played you. Yes, you.
1) Is that the thread in which I apologized to Hambil immediately after? Funny. I thought that meant something.

2) Are you now insinuating that RR is a troll?

Then, you revived the implication the very next day when it suited you to discredit Hambil's posting. There was no question or request for clarification in your post.

" Or . . . dammit, Hambil, you're setting off the warning bells again!"

There was no request for clarification, but I gave it anyway. Are you saying that you willingly ignored what I had to say because it suited your purpose to believe the worst about me?

Yes, I believe you are.

Par for the course.

:glare:

#20 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 06:38 PM

Ro-Astarte, on Aug 28 2004, 05:27 PM, said:

In the middle of a fight in a thread, you revived the thread in which he was called a troll by RR
That was me, although I wasn't fighting him so much as watching his behavior. (See my earlier post in response to Caitriona about what I meant by it.) If you didn't know that, then what in the world have you been on my case about here?

...who is probably roaring with laughter right now at how he played you.
If that's not calling RR a troll, what is it?

Edited by Delvo, 28 August 2004 - 06:40 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: OT, Staff Announcements, 2004

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users