• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 Meepski

Meepski
  • Islander
  • 166 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 09:32 PM

^

Yikes!  And maybe the really clever ones purposely make themselves very believeable, because they know that we know that far-fetchedness is part of their disguise! :eek2:

Wait a minute, why is this starting to sound like a scene from The Princess Bride?
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great struggle. -- Philo of Alexandria

#22 Ro-Astarte

Ro-Astarte

goddess of love and blowing things up

• Islander
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 09:44 PM

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders, the most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less well known is this: "Never go in against a Sicilian, when *death* is on the line.".

Or were you thinking of "My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." ;)

Ro

#23 Meepski

Meepski
  • Islander
  • 166 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 10:03 PM

Wow, those quotes bring back some good memories!  I really should re-watch that movie soon.  :D

The scene I was think of was the one that the "Never go against a Sicilian" line basically ended.  Vizzinni has to pick which of two goblets has the poison in it, and he starts building an elaborate tower of logic on pretty shaky foundations, through which he eventually comes to his very fatal decision:

VIZZINI
But it's so simple. All I have to do is divine it from what I know of you. Are you the sort of man who would put the poison into his own goblet or his enemies? Now, a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I am not a great fool so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you ... But you must have known I was not a great fool; you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.

<...and so on ...>

It sounds like you remember the movie better than me, so you probably didn't actually need this explanation, but I never could pass up a chance to over-explain.  ;)

Edited by Meepski, 30 August 2004 - 10:06 PM.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great struggle. -- Philo of Alexandria

#24 Ro-Astarte

Ro-Astarte

• Islander
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 10:07 PM

I love that movie.

I recently got the special edition DVD. Some great extras on there, too.

And, now we've REALLY hijacked the thread.

Except, yea, um, in Princess Bride, there was a BOOK. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Ro

#25 Meepski

Meepski
  • Islander
  • 166 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 10:20 PM

Ro-Astarte, on Aug 30 2004, 11:05 PM, said:

I love that movie.

I recently got the special edition DVD. Some great extras on there, too.
I'm going to go put the special edition DVD in my NetFlix queue right now while I'm thinking of it.  Great idea!

Ro-Astarte, on Aug 30 2004, 11:05 PM, said:

And, now we've REALLY hijacked the thread.

Except, yea, um, in Princess Bride, there was a BOOK. Yeah, that's the ticket.
:lol:

Norville we demand that you stop censoring The Princess Bride!  Have you no shame?

#26 Ro-Astarte

Ro-Astarte

• Islander
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 10:43 PM

:p

#27 Nialla

Nialla
  • Islander
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 11:46 AM

Norville, on Aug 29 2004, 04:10 PM, said:

There's a book out there, Unfit for Command by O'Neill, against John Kerry. Now, if any of you have wanted this book, I'm sure you've discovered how difficult it is to find. This is NOT the fault of bookstores/libraries.
[looks at patron request for this book, received late yesterday]

Well, crap.  :crazy:

We've already told our patrons we'll do our best to get political books if they specifically request them, but there are too many for us to afford all of them (speaking of $$$ and space to keep them), especially when most of them won't be checked out again after the elections are over.
"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and riffled their pockets for new vocabulary."
~ James D. Nicoll

#28 Jazzer

Jazzer

Here I am

• Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 03:33 PM

Well, Norville, I'm sorry people were giving you such a hard time for something not your fault.  I love books.  If I ever have enough money to spare, I'd love to have a house with a large room I could make into a personal library.  If I could afford it, I'd spend a fortune on books.  

Anyway, I ordered "Unfit for Command" from Amazon.com  The book was due to be shipped on Aug. 30, but Amazon.com sent me an email that day saying the Publisher was temporarily out of stock, but more are on the way and it might be a couple of weeks before my order is shipped.  So the bookstores aren't the only ones dealing with Publisher shortages.  

If you think it would help, you could tell people who ask that even Amazon.com was having trouble keeping up with orders for the book because of Publisher shortages.  

"Unfit for Command" was #1 on the latest New York Times Best Seller List, so that may increase demand for the book.
Unanswered questions aren't nearly as dangerous as unquestioned answers.

#29 Meepski

Meepski
  • Islander
  • 166 posts

Posted 01 September 2004 - 10:06 PM

I was in a Borders Books in Washington D.C. today (I picked up three Julie Czernada books!) and they had big stacks of "Unfit for Command" out on display.  So if you want a copy badly enough to travel for it, I guess D.C. is the place to go.  I would imagine that this can be accounted for by the fact that D.C. is, at last count, about 107% percent registered Democrats.

I yelled at the clerk anyway, since I don't want Norville to feel singled out. :D

#30 Ro-Astarte

Ro-Astarte

• Islander
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 01 September 2004 - 10:18 PM

Wow, that's some EI team spirit, there, Meepski.

Make sure you take care of your pompoms. ;)

Ro

#31 Meepski

Meepski
  • Islander
  • 166 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 12:13 AM

Ro-Astarte, on Sep 1 2004, 11:16 PM, said:

Wow, that's some EI team spirit, there, Meepski.
That's me -- I'm a giver. :lol:

Make sure you take care of your pompoms. ;)

Thanks, I will!  Pom is doing quite well, but sometimes I worry about Pom.

#32 darthsikle

darthsikle
  • Dead account
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 04 September 2004 - 03:26 PM

Conspiracies anyone???  I betcha Kerry had something to do with the Kennedy assassination.  The Wall Street Journal reported it was simply supply an ddemand problems.  The more Kerry lashes out against the book, the more people wanted to buy it.  Simple.
Goodbye.

#33 Meepski

Meepski
  • Islander
  • 166 posts

Posted 04 September 2004 - 04:25 PM

darthsikle, on Sep 4 2004, 04:24 PM, said:

The more Kerry lashes out against the book, the more people wanted to buy it.  Simple.
That is certainly a factor, but I disagree that it is that simple.  Republicans have done more than their share of getting publicity for this book.  Both sides have been complicit in making this campaign about the wrong things, but in this instance I think the Republicans get the lion's share of the blame.

#34 darthsikle

darthsikle
  • Dead account
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 04 September 2004 - 04:48 PM

Meepski, on Sep 4 2004, 09:23 PM, said:

darthsikle, on Sep 4 2004, 04:24 PM, said:

The more Kerry lashes out against the book, the more people wanted to buy it.  Simple.
That is certainly a factor, but I disagree that it is that simple.  Republicans have done more than their share of getting publicity for this book.  Both sides have been complicit in making this campaign about the wrong things, but in this instance I think the Republicans get the lion's share of the blame.
Yeah, but it's like the schoolyard.  A fight breaks out, it does not matter who threw the first punch...all arte guilty and need detention.

All Dems and Reps are like the kids on the sideline egging their favorite fighter on.
Goodbye.

#35 Meepski

Meepski
  • Islander
  • 166 posts

Posted 04 September 2004 - 09:14 PM

darthsikle, on Sep 4 2004, 05:46 PM, said:

All Dems and Reps are like the kids on the sideline egging their favorite fighter on.
I think we're pretty much in agreement here!  I would just add the nit-pic that it is not all Democrats and republicans that are like this.  There are many of us on both sides who prefer rational discussion about national and world affairs.  Though I do reserve the right to be spectacularly irrational when rooting for my sports teams.

#36 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 04 September 2004 - 09:15 PM

Hi Darthsickle, welcome to EI and OT.

I very much agree with you. Of course I seem to be the most vocal member of the "A Pox on Both Their Houses" party.

Though I slightly disagree with Meepski. I'm more inclined to say that it is the Dems's who have a lions share of the blame.

Meepski wrote:

Both sides have been complicit in making this campaign about the wrong things, but in this instance I think the Republicans get the lion's share of the blame.

The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#37 darthsikle

darthsikle
  • Dead account
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 04 September 2004 - 09:46 PM

The political parties seem upside down and backsides up to me.  I'd never thought we'd get a balanced budget and surplus under a democrat (although it is mostly due to Bush Sr.'s tax increase) and a huge expansion in federal spending under a republican.  What is one to do??

Thanks for the welcome by the way.

As to sports team, I'm from Philly, need I say more??
Goodbye.

#38 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 04 September 2004 - 10:15 PM

Oh then you'll probably love our soon to be up sports and games forum. I'm sure that you'll find plenty of discussions on various teams there, if you are interested in such.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Election 2004, John Kerry, Book, Unfit for Command, John O'Neill

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users