• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 05:33 PM

(Via Metafilter.)

Okay, so as I understand it, the American Congress passed something called the Help America Vote Act of 2002, which forced the states to get rid of their punch card ballots (the ones that had all those hanging chads and stuff), and gave the states billions of dollars so lots of states and counties could upgrade to electronic touch screen voting machines. It's modernization in action, right?

Right, except there's a few problems. For one thing, the machines leave no permanent record, only printouts that count for absolutely nothing. And now it would seem that the touch screens aren't the only problems.

blackboxvoting.org

Consumer Report Part 1: Look at this -- the Diebold GEMS central tabulator contains a stunning security hole
Submitted by Bev Harris on Thu, 08/26/2004 - 11:43.

Investigations Issue: Manipulation technique found in the Diebold central tabulator -- 1,000 of these systems are in place, and they count up to two million votes at a time.

By entering a 2-digit code in a hidden location, a second set of votes is created. This set of votes can be changed, so that it no longer matches the correct votes. The voting system will then read the totals from the bogus vote set. It takes only seconds to change the votes, and to date not a single location in the U.S. has implemented security measures to fully mitigate the risks.

This program is not "stupidity" or sloppiness. It was designed and tested over a series of a dozen version adjustments.

So Diebold has a vote fraud feature built in to their central tabulators... And for what reason, anyway? No one knows. And when you go to vote in November what assurances do you have that your votes aren't simply being erased by the push of a button and replaced by somebody else? None.

Something should be done about this.

Edited by Kevin Street, 31 August 2004 - 07:09 PM.

Per aspera ad astra

#2 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 06:53 PM

I have a plan:

Paper.
Marker.

It just might work. :cool:.
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#3 GoldenCoal

GoldenCoal

Not Fool's Gold

• Islander
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 07:05 PM

I remmember once I read an article some time ago where some guy who was in charge of this said that there were grave security problems, but now I find out there still are?  :eek2: ! A 2-digit code wouldn't take long to crack at all.
  I think Rov's idea has some merit.

edited for clarity

Edited by GoldenCoal, 31 August 2004 - 07:05 PM.

#4 Kimmer

Kimmer
  • Islander
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 07:54 PM

This is why when my county went to these nasty machines, we went to permanent absentee ballot status, and guess what? The absentee ballots are paper and you fill in the circle with a black pen. So simple, even a child could vote. ;)

Pickles

--------------------
Life is just a bowl of cherries. Sometimes they are sweet, sometimes sour, sometimes rotten.
Sometimes the bowl is filled with stems, sometimes filled with pits.

Today my life's bowl is filled with a blend of sweet and sour cherries, some stems and a few pits.

Edited by Pickles, 31 August 2004 - 07:55 PM.

#5 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,651 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 07:59 PM

Greg Stillson goes national!  Or is Diebold a Manchurian Global subsidiary.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Elections, Voting Machines, Fraud, 2004

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users