• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Bouree57

Bouree57
  • Islander
  • 578 posts

Posted 03 September 2004 - 10:10 PM

LaughingVulcan, on Sep 3 2004, 03:07 AM, said:

Apologies if I seem to imply that the behaviors being talked about are anything less than criminal.  My point was that these are not liberal "debaters" at work.

Your second point I agree with.  I was trying to say that the only alternative to 'arrest after the crime,' is, 'arrest before the crime.'  Which is much worse to me than people who receive injuries because some people do not know how to protest legally.  Still, it does not justify what becomes an unlawful assembly.

-LV
I apologize if I read too much in your post. It did make me wonder what your point was. Thank you for clarifying and FTR I agree "arrest before the crime" isn't an option I'd like to consider.

-- B
My words but a whisper, your deafness a shout!
I may make you feel but I can't make you think.
(from Thick as a Brick, Jethro Tull)

He who made kittens put snakes in the grass.
He's a lover of life but a player of pawns.
(from Bungle in the Jungle--War Child, JT)

#22 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 03 September 2004 - 10:16 PM

I don't mind the protesters. (Actually the more they get in front of the TV cameras, the worse they look, so keep those cameras rolling!) But what bothers me is that while the security are having to deal with silly little protesters, they are distracted from watching for what could be real threats.

Anyway, I understand that a woman who was in with the California delegation, about 100 feet from the President, suddenly held up a big sheet with some anti-Bush slogan on it. By dragging her off, the security guys likely saved her from the California delegates.  :cool:
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#23 Meepski

Meepski
  • Islander
  • 166 posts

Posted 03 September 2004 - 11:22 PM

G1223 said:

Meanwhile Kerry is accused by the swifties for actions and statements made by Mr. Kerry and he has not turned over a single service record for his time in vietnam.

Let's not get carried away here G1223, Kerry has in fact released at least 50 of them :

http://www.johnkerry...ry_records.html

And to be honest I simply don't see a liberal bias in "the Media".  Some news organizations have a liberal bias, some have a conservative bias, and some are actually pretty middle-of-the-road.  There are literally hundreds of articles about the RNC protests that a simple google search will turn up, and this thread was in fact opened by pointers to a couple of them, so it is hard to make a case that it is being ignored. :)

<Edited to add: Hey, this was my 100th post!  When I first started here I never would have guessed that I would have enough interesting things to say to fill up all but 98 of them!>

Edited by Meepski, 03 September 2004 - 11:35 PM.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great struggle. -- Philo of Alexandria

#24 Bouree57

Bouree57
  • Islander
  • 578 posts

Posted 04 September 2004 - 12:36 AM

Drew, on Sep 3 2004, 10:14 PM, said:

I don't mind the protesters. (Actually the more they get in front of the TV cameras, the worse they look, so keep those cameras rolling!) But what bothers me is that while the security are having to deal with silly little protesters, they are distracted from watching for what could be real threats.
It's scary to think that these people can get so close to my President or even my Vice President. I realize that not everyone is happy with where we are today. I won't say that I was all that happy with Bill Clinton but to risk my liberty on a silly protest at a political convention, eh. Not so much.

I think it's even scarier that these people can vote. So maybe you are right. How does seeing these people affect those undecided voters? Do they assume guilt by association (or dis-association in this case) and blame Kerry?

-- B
My words but a whisper, your deafness a shout!
I may make you feel but I can't make you think.
(from Thick as a Brick, Jethro Tull)

He who made kittens put snakes in the grass.
He's a lover of life but a player of pawns.
(from Bungle in the Jungle--War Child, JT)

#25 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 04 September 2004 - 12:39 AM

Shalamar, on Sep 2 2004, 03:28 AM, said:

Just because a protestor does something criminal, doesn't make them a Democrat.  Just because they are labeld an 'extreme liberal', doeesn't make them a Democrat.
That's true, but their behavior opens the door for the spin doctors to insinuate that the Democrats were at least partially to blame, true or not.

On the other hand, the Democratic campaign can point to the large number of demonstrators as a reason for Bush to be out of office, they may have done so already but I think they'd back away from that if they have - at least in light of the violence of the protesters.

Maybe some of the protesters think it's the 60's all over again, who knows.

#26 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 04 September 2004 - 12:43 AM

I didn't see a single protester with a "John Kerry" sign. They weren't there because they want John Kerry to be President. They were there because they hate George Bush.

Some of them hate John Kerry, too.  :cool:
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Politics, Fanatic Partisans, 2004

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users