Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Hurricane Ivan

Natural Disasters Hurricane Ivan 2004

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 05 September 2004 - 03:48 PM

Here we go again.  :wacko:

http://www.weatherun...00409_wind.html

Hurricane Ivan is a category 3 storm. Currently, its winds are at 125 mph, with gusts over 155 mph.

I've read in some places that this storm might follow the path of Frances.

Sheesh...!!!

:sarcasm:  :(

Edited by Digital Man, 05 September 2004 - 03:49 PM.

Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#2 Bulldog

Bulldog
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 September 2004 - 04:00 PM

Ivan could be worse than Francis.  Methinks right now he might take a path up the East Coast, similar to what David did in 1979.

#3 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 05 September 2004 - 05:02 PM

Copying from my last post on the Frances thread..

Emergency people in Central FL are already telling people not to take down their hurricane shutters.

Ivan is a Cat III and growing. Still pretty far out there, we'll know more by the end of the week.

[5 pm updated map 5 day from NHC

Edited by Shoshana, 05 September 2004 - 05:04 PM.

#4 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 05 September 2004 - 05:07 PM

5 pm report 125 mph sustained winds, almost Cat IV. Cat IV at 130 mph...

also from the NHC Miami

LATEST SATELLITE IMAGERY INDICATES THAT IVAN HAS INTENSIFIED AND
MAXIMUM WINDS ARE ESTIMATED TO BE NEAR 110 KT. AS NOTED
EARLIER...IT IS UNPRECEDENTED TO HAVE A HURRICANE THIS STRONG AT
SUCH A LOW LATITUDE IN THE ATLANTIC BASIN. THE EYE IS EMBEDDED IN
CLOUD TOPS COLDER THAN -70 DEG C AND THE UPPER-LEVEL OUTFLOW IS
QUITE SYMMETRIC AND STRONG. THE OFFICIAL WIND SPEED FORECAST IS
CONSERVATIVE BECAUSE OF OUR LIMITED SKILL IN PREDICTING INTENSITY
CHANGE...AND OBVIOUSLY IVAN COULD BECOME STRONGER THAN INDICATED
HERE.

Sorry about all caps. They are always yelling the discussions!

Edited by Shoshana, 05 September 2004 - 05:14 PM.

#5 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 05 September 2004 - 06:58 PM

Shoshana, on Sep 5 2004, 05:05 PM, said:

5 pm report 125 mph sustained winds, almost Cat IV. Cat IV at 130 mph...

also from the NHC Miami

LATEST SATELLITE IMAGERY INDICATES THAT IVAN HAS INTENSIFIED AND
MAXIMUM WINDS ARE ESTIMATED TO BE NEAR 110 KT. AS NOTED
EARLIER...IT IS UNPRECEDENTED TO HAVE A HURRICANE THIS STRONG AT
SUCH A LOW LATITUDE IN THE ATLANTIC BASIN. THE EYE IS EMBEDDED IN
CLOUD TOPS COLDER THAN -70 DEG C AND THE UPPER-LEVEL OUTFLOW IS
QUITE SYMMETRIC AND STRONG. THE OFFICIAL WIND SPEED FORECAST IS
CONSERVATIVE BECAUSE OF OUR LIMITED SKILL IN PREDICTING INTENSITY
CHANGE...AND OBVIOUSLY IVAN COULD BECOME STRONGER THAN INDICATED
HERE.

Sorry about all caps. They are always yelling the discussions!
Keep in mind-water temperatures are key. The water in those areas is around 90-95 degrees Fahrenheit. It serves as fuel for the thunderstorms that make up these hurricanes.
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#6 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 05 September 2004 - 07:27 PM

Cat IV as of 8pm EST

BULLETIN
HURRICANE IVAN INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY NUMBER  14A
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
8 PM AST SUN SEP 05 2004

...DANGEROUS IVAN RAPIDLY INTENSIFIES INTO A CATEGORY 4
HURRICANE...MOVING TOWARD THE LESSER ANTILLES...

AT 8 PM AST...0000Z...THE GOVERNMENT OF TRINIDAD/TOBAGO HAS ISSUED A
TROPICAL STORM WATCH FOR GRENADA AND DEPENDENCIES.

A HURRICANE WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR BARBADOS.  INTERESTS
ELSEWHERE IN THE LESSER ANTILLES SHOULD MONITOR THE PROGRESS OF
IVAN.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 135 MPH...215 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER
GUSTS.  ADDITIONAL STRENGTHENING IS POSSIBLE OVER THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

Edited by Shoshana, 05 September 2004 - 07:27 PM.

#7 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 05 September 2004 - 08:08 PM

Someone's about to get owned...

#8 ZipperInt

ZipperInt
  • Islander
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 05 September 2004 - 11:11 PM

*Another* one?! Damn.
Good luck people!
The second greatest podcast in the history of ever:
http://geeksonaplain.blogspot.com/

#9 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 05 September 2004 - 11:11 PM

All the hurricanes are just conspiring against Florida, aren't they?

It'd be nice if some strong front could come sweeping off the East Coast and knock Ivan northeast instead.
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#10 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 06 September 2004 - 01:59 AM

They need to learn how to tie a boat down...

http://img.coxnewswe...mage_871971.jpg

#11 SparkyCola

SparkyCola

Bye

• Islander
  • 14,903 posts

Posted 06 September 2004 - 03:40 PM

Best of luck to the poor people who yet again have to endure this.
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#12 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 06 September 2004 - 04:18 PM

LOl 'Shana...I think no matter what they may have done any tie down would have given...that is impressive though!
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#13 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 06 September 2004 - 04:25 PM

Yeah, cuz it's only the third one in a row.  I made another post in SP's other thread--everything's okay with me.  No damage to the house, car, or anything like that.  I'm just without power at home (staying with friends who have power).  I am so over this.

On the bright side, if Ivan *does* come through, we won't have to worry about fallen trees.  Most of them are already conveniently on the ground from Charley and Frances.

Actually, I haven't noticed many fallen trees through downtown from Frances compared to Charley.  There's a lot of debris, but no where near the level of blockage and damage we saw w/ Charley.  Just a few twig-ish branches in my yard.  Easy to pick up, no chain-saws necessary (this time, anyway).

And in these past few weeks, I think I've slept in my own bed maybe three times.

And while I'm whining--my back hurts.  But living on a friend's couch can do that.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I think I'm going to go get drunk. (not a whole helluvalot else to do.) :glare:

-Nick

#14 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 06 September 2004 - 09:47 PM

Nick, on Sep 6 2004, 10:23 PM, said:

On the bright side, if Ivan *does* come through, we won't have to worry about fallen trees.
Now *that's* optimism for ya!

:D  :hehe:
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#15 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 06 September 2004 - 10:18 PM

http://www.nhc.noaa....IF/070303W5.gif

11pm track map

#16 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 06 September 2004 - 10:21 PM

21 mph?  :blink:  That's quite a clip.

#17 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 06 September 2004 - 11:35 PM

erm, if that track map is the way Ivan continues, it could head straight into Texas...
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#18 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 01:03 AM

^erm, or pull an Allen. Allen track

1980 Allen odd note: it was in the same storm name rotation as Hurricanes Bonnie, Charley, Earl, Frances, Georges, Ivan, Jeanne and Karl.

Allen's (Cat 5) name was retired and replace by ... Andrew (Cat 5). Whose name was retired in 1992 and replaced by Alex.

Bonnie has never been a major hurricane. But did hit Texas in 1986.

Charley ought to be retired after this year.

Earl's still around.

Frances was sched for retirement before this season.

Georges was retired in 1998 (Cat 5) and replaced by Gaston, who may or may not be retired.

Ivan's played nice till now.

Jeanne (who I suspect we'll see again this week) is around.

Mitch was in that rotation and retired in 1998 (Cat 5)

This rotation was used for the first time in 1980.

#19 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 03:38 PM

Shalamar, on Sep 7 2004, 05:35 AM, said:

erm, if that track map is the way Ivan continues, it could head straight into Texas...
And stall there for five days because of atmospheric changes, no doubt.  :wacko:

#20 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 06:39 PM

It's back up to 120 mph, with gusts to 150 mph. It may hit catergory 3 status again soon.
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Natural Disasters, Hurricane Ivan, 2004

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users