• 4,031 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 07:25 PM

WTNT34 KNHC 072350
TCPAT4
BULLETIN
HURRICANE IVAN INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY NUMBER  22A
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
8 PM AST TUE SEP 07 2004

...IVAN REGAINS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS CATEGORY FOUR INTENSITY...
CONTINUES TO MOVE RAPIDLY WESTWARD ACROSS THE SOUTHEASTERN
CARIBBEAN...

REPORTS FROM AN AIR FORCE RESERVE HURRICANE HUNTER AIRCRAFT INDICATE
THAT IVAN IS NOW AN EXTREMELY DANGEROUS CATEGORY FOUR HURRICANE ON
THE SAFFIR/SIMPSON HURRICANE SCALE WITH MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS
NEAR 135 MPH...215 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER GUSTS.  ADDITIONAL
STRENGTHENING IS FORECAST DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO  70 MILES...110 KM...
FROM THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP
TO 160 MILES...260 KM.  GRENADA REPORTED WIND GUSTS TO 116 MPH...187
KM/HR WHEN THE EYE PASSED BY A FEW HOURS AGO.

From the little I have been able to find out, Granada was hit extremely hard with alot of roofs blown off and the Emergency Office destroyed. Power and phones are out for most of the island, reports say unofficially that they havve 3 fatalities. We'll know more tomorrow I guess.

#22 schoolpsycho

schoolpsycho
  • Islander
  • 891 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 09:29 PM

Hi, all...

Winds up to 135...a cat. 4

And, the exact same scenario as Charley. A front moving in, while Ivan follows the same path, over Cuba, still as a 4, and...

*sigh*

Some models have it hitting Florida. But, it's early.

sp

I ain't sayin' no more.
Love is hard...and all there is.

#23 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 10:02 AM

^

Winds are now at 140 mph, with gusts to 165 mph.

I got relatives in Puerto Rico, and an old friend in the Dominican Republic.

I hope the storm misses them.

:(
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#24 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 11:16 AM

Ivan hammered Grenada

Hurricane Ivan devastates Grenada

#25 schoolpsycho

schoolpsycho
  • Islander
  • 891 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 02:45 PM

^

I'm worried about Jamaica. As of now, they have 2 days to get ready...

sp

#26 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,095 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 02:57 PM

If that thing hits the Gulf of Mexico side, it'll hit warmer water, and probably hit a C5.
Can't Touch This!!

#27 schoolpsycho

schoolpsycho
  • Islander
  • 891 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 03:09 PM

^

If it does, we could be talking Camille-like, because Charley went from 2 to 4 in less than 2 hours.

#28 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 02:45 AM

Meteorologists threaten to strike in Jamaica!

HORACE HINES, Observer staff reporter
Thursday, September 09, 2004

AS the country prepares for Hurricane Ivan, meteorologists and meteorological technicians at both international airports and the Coopers Hill weather station have threatened to strike, sparking fears that the island may be left without vital information when the category four storm hits.

"The workers are determined to embark on a path of direct confrontation with the Ministry of Land and Environment and the management of the Met Office if outstanding allowances for the month of February for workers who took industrial action is not paid forthwith," said a release from general secretary of the Union of Technical, Administrative and Supervisory Personnel (UTASP) St Patrice Ennis.

"The union will not accept responsibility for any actions taken by the workers, particularly in light of the approaching hurricane Ivan," said Ennis. "In other words, we cannot guarantee normalcy at the Met Office for the ensuing days."

Yesterday, land and environment minister Dean Peart blasted the union and employees, saying they were trying to put pressure on him but he was unable to help.

#29 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 02:50 AM

Hurricane Ivan Intermediate Advisory Number 27a

Statement as of 2:00 am AST on September 09, 2004

...Extremely dangerous Ivan strengthens into a category 5 hurricane over the south-central Caribbean Sea...

At 2 am AST...0600z...the eye of Hurricane Ivan was located near latitude 13.7 north...longitude 69.5 west or about 85 miles...135 km...northeast of Aruba in the Dutch Netherland Antilles. This is also about 570 miles... 915 km...east-southeast of Kingston Jamaica.

Ivan is moving toward the west-northwest near 17 mph...28 km/hr... and this motion is expected to continue with a gradual decrease in forward speed during the next 24 hours. On this track...the center of Ivan should remain well to the north of Aruba and Bonaire during the next several hours...and then continue on Route toward the area near Jamaica.

Recent reports from an Air Force Reserve hurricane hunter aircraft indicate that maximum sustained winds are now near 160 mph...255 km/hr...with higher gusts. This makes Ivan a rare category 5 hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson hurricane scale

Info after that is there is hail and lightning in the eyewall ... very rare.

And the barometric pressure is down to 922 ... like Andrew... and lower than home weather kits can measure

#30 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 05:36 AM

Ivan has winds of 160 mph, with gusts to 195 mph!!!  :eek3:  :eek3:  :eek3:

That's bad. VERY bad.

:(
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#31 Kosh

Kosh

• Islander
  • 11,095 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 07:51 AM

schoolpsycho, on Sep 8 2004, 03:09 PM, said:

^

If it does, we could be talking Camille-like, because Charley went from 2 to 4 in less than 2 hours.
As Digy siad, it's hit Cat 5. Hasn'tgotten as far as Jamiaca yet, and already a 5. It could still drop, but it seems unlikly now. Good Luck to those in the south and on the Islands.
Can't Touch This!!

#32 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,421 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 09:32 AM

The Weather Channel says one hurricane-hunter plane clocked an interior gust of 215 mph.  :eek4:

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#33 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,473 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 10:19 AM

Oh boy... somehow, this is a very appropriate name for a hurricane. We can now call it Ivan the Terrible (a Russian historical reference). :eek:
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#34 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 07:00 PM

Kosh, on Sep 9 2004, 07:51 AM, said:

^

As Digy siad, it's hit Cat 5. Hasn'tgotten as far as Jamiaca yet, and already a 5. It could still drop, but it seems unlikly now. Good Luck to those in the south and on the Islands.
As I said before, water temperatures are a big factor. The warmer the water, the stronger the storm.

Water temperatures in that area have been in the upper 80s to low 90s. This helps to fuel the thunderstorms that make up the hurricane.

Another unusual thing is that there is a lot of lightning being spotted in the thunderstorm eyewall of Ivan, and usually, you don't see much lightning in a hurricane, particularly in the eyewall.

Read why here:

http://www.weatherwi...qry.hurlit.html

Saul
Posted Image

#35 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 07:17 AM

Cardie, on Sep 9 2004, 03:32 PM, said:

The Weather Channel says one hurricane-hunter plane clocked an interior gust of 215 mph.  :eek4:

Cardie
*boggle*

That's like Gilbert or something.  :eek3:
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#36 Kosh

Kosh

• Islander
  • 11,095 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 08:37 AM

Digital Man, on Sep 9 2004, 07:00 PM, said:

Kosh, on Sep 9 2004, 07:51 AM, said:

^

As I said before, water temperatures are a big factor. The warmer the water, the stronger the storm.

Water temperatures in that area have been in the upper 80s to low 90s. This helps to fuel the thunderstorms that make up the hurricane.

Another unusual thing is that there is a lot of lightning being spotted in the thunderstorm eyewall of Ivan, and usually, you don't see much lightning in a hurricane, particularly in the eyewall.

Read why here:

http://www.weatherwi...qry.hurlit.html

Saul
Thanks sir! Nice link.
Can't Touch This!!

#37 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 08:40 AM

Winds of 145 mph right now, according to weather.com... :eek:

(Ivan is currently moving WNW at 13 mph, but according to the projected path on weather.com, is supposed to turn straight north, running over the eastern 2/3 of Cuba and then running all the way up Florida. :eek4: )

edit:  here is what the National Hurricane Center has to say about hurricane categories and damage prediction.

Edited by Anakam, 10 September 2004 - 08:44 AM.

Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#38 shambalayogi

shambalayogi

Fan of Many Things

• Islander
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 12:37 PM

latest at accuweather: at the moment, turning to to up the length of Florida.   :unsure:

Let's try this one ...

Ivan Path

Edited by shambalayogi, 10 September 2004 - 12:38 PM.

Shamba,
I Trust SNAPE!  so .. he better be loyal!
I Knew Where NZ was before LOTR!
Frodo Lives! Long Live the King!
It may not be a time of myth and legend, but it's
definitely a time for heroes and heroines!
Shambalayogi's Retreat
Tulsa Trek Expo
Comic Con In 2008
Learn About Peak Oil

#39 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,421 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 01:10 PM

Ulp, I'm not liking that path, as it would come directly over my house, although I would imagine as a tropical storm by then.  Then again, nowhere this thing goes looks very promising.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#40 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 05:00 PM

Anakam, on Sep 10 2004, 07:17 AM, said:

Cardie, on Sep 9 2004, 03:32 PM, said:

The Weather Channel says one hurricane-hunter plane clocked an interior gust of 215 mph.  :eek4:

Cardie
*boggle*

That's like Gilbert or something.  :eek3:
Let me put this in some perspective for you...

The highest winds are found, not in hurricanes, but tornadoes. Tornadoes are rated on a classification scale known as the Fujita scale (F0 to F5), and I believe it is based on types of wind damage. An F5 tornado is the strongest, with winds that can reach 318 mph.

Now, if we were to look at the other planets...

Jupiter's Great Red Spot is a monster hurricane that is big enough to swallow 3 planets the size of the Earth. Winds in the Great Red Spot are over 300 miles an hour. Saturn's winds reach 1,000 mph at the equator.

The windiest planet is Neptune. Winds there have been clocked at 1,250 mph. There was a storm called the Great Dark Spot, similar to Jupiter's Great Red Spot-and winds there were clocked by one of the Voyager spacecraft at 1,500 mph!! :eek3: :eek4: :eek3:

That should give you an idea of how puny we humans are in the face of nature!  :Oo:

Edited by Digital Man, 10 September 2004 - 05:03 PM.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Natural Disasters, Hurricane Ivan, 2004

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users