85 replies to this topic

#41 Jid

Jid

Mad Prophet of Funk

• Islander
  • 12,553 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 07:46 PM

http://www.local6.co...239/detail.html

A South Florida businessman says he's going to try to reduce the strength of Hurricane Ivan by flying a Boeing 747 into the edge of the hurricane and dumping thousands of pounds of an absorbent material into the storm.

Interesting....

#42 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,477 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 10:53 PM

I wonder if I can quickly buy shares into his company. ;)
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

#43 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,379 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 11:14 PM

http://www.weather.c...enter/tropical/

It's nearly back up to Category Five--poor Jamaica!

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#44 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 11:39 PM

Digital Man, on Sep 10 2004, 11:00 PM, said:

Anakam, on Sep 10 2004, 07:17 AM, said:

Cardie, on Sep 9 2004, 03:32 PM, said:

The Weather Channel says one hurricane-hunter plane clocked an interior gust of 215 mph.  :eek4:

Cardie
*boggle*

That's like Gilbert or something.  :eek3:
Let me put this in some perspective for you...

The highest winds are found, not in hurricanes, but tornadoes. Tornadoes are rated on a classification scale known as the Fujita scale (F0 to F5), and I believe it is based on types of wind damage. An F5 tornado is the strongest, with winds that can reach 318 mph.

Now, if we were to look at the other planets...

Jupiter's Great Red Spot is a monster hurricane that is big enough to swallow 3 planets the size of the Earth. Winds in the Great Red Spot are over 300 miles an hour. Saturn's winds reach 1,000 mph at the equator.

The windiest planet is Neptune. Winds there have been clocked at 1,250 mph. There was a storm called the Great Dark Spot, similar to Jupiter's Great Red Spot-and winds there were clocked by one of the Voyager spacecraft at 1,500 mph!! :eek3: :eek4: :eek3:

That should give you an idea of how puny we humans are in the face of nature!  :Oo:
Umm, no offense, but I already knew most of that. :p ;)

I was using Gilbert as a point of reference because it is the first really strong hurricane I can remember and to me signifies The Really Big Storm ™.

Believe me, I wouldn't want to be caught out on Neptune without something to hold on to. ;)
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#45 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 11:57 PM

Anakam, on Sep 10 2004, 11:39 PM, said:

Digital Man, on Sep 10 2004, 11:00 PM, said:

Anakam, on Sep 10 2004, 07:17 AM, said:

Cardie, on Sep 9 2004, 03:32 PM, said:

The Weather Channel says one hurricane-hunter plane clocked an interior gust of 215 mph.  :eek4:

Cardie
*boggle*

That's like Gilbert or something.  :eek3:
Let me put this in some perspective for you...

The highest winds are found, not in hurricanes, but tornadoes. Tornadoes are rated on a classification scale known as the Fujita scale (F0 to F5), and I believe it is based on types of wind damage. An F5 tornado is the strongest, with winds that can reach 318 mph.

Now, if we were to look at the other planets...

Jupiter's Great Red Spot is a monster hurricane that is big enough to swallow 3 planets the size of the Earth. Winds in the Great Red Spot are over 300 miles an hour. Saturn's winds reach 1,000 mph at the equator.

The windiest planet is Neptune. Winds there have been clocked at 1,250 mph. There was a storm called the Great Dark Spot, similar to Jupiter's Great Red Spot-and winds there were clocked by one of the Voyager spacecraft at 1,500 mph!! :eek3: :eek4: :eek3:

That should give you an idea of how puny we humans are in the face of nature!  :Oo:
Umm, no offense, but I already knew most of that. :p ;)

I was using Gilbert as a point of reference because it is the first really strong hurricane I can remember and to me signifies The Really Big Storm ™.

Believe me, I wouldn't want to be caught out on Neptune without something to hold on to. ;)
With winds at 1,250 mph, holding onto something wouldn't exactly be possible, since you'd be ripped to itty bitty shreds.  :p  :p  :p
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#46 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 12:04 AM

I was thinking of one of those ultra sci-fi envirosuits for starters, actually. ;)

I suppose hanging on a la the classic Star Trek "oh no, the bay is decompressing" scenario wouldn't work too well, though. :D

#47 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 06:00 PM

Well, it's looking less and less likely that Central Florida will receive more than a glancing blow from Ivan . . . but this storm is another slow-moving monster.  It's looking to be headed for the panhandle . . . and it's gunna wreak havoc.

We're still not out of the woods down here, it's all up to the high pressure ridge to keep this beast shoved westward . . . but that will ruin the folks in the panhandle's day.  We'll have a clearer idea tomorrow night once Ivan starts its turn--expected after it hits Cuba tomorrow.

-Nick

Edited by Nick, 11 September 2004 - 06:00 PM.

#48 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 09:39 PM

****NEWS FLASH***********

Ivan's winds are now at 165 mph, with gusts to 200 mph!! :eek3:

Maybe it's time to dig out the "duck & cover" films??

:Oo:  :Oo:  :Oo:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#49 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 10:02 PM

^

To add-the pressure is 910 millibars (26.85 inches).

This storm is shaping out to be one of the most dangerous hurricanes in history.

:argh:  :egads:  :fear:
Posted Image

#50 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 11:10 PM

Actually, the tornado scale goes higher than 5 - but thank goodness no one's ever seen one. A F12 is Mach 1.... now THAT would be loud!

I don't know what kinda bunker you'd need to be in to survive that.

Back to Ivan:

The only Atlantic storms more intense than Ivan is right now were

Gilbert
The 1935 FL Keys storm
Allen
Camille
Mitch

And offhand, Camille and Mitch at their most intense were 905.....

'shana

#51 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 11:57 PM

Shoshana, on Sep 11 2004, 11:10 PM, said:

Gilbert
The 1935 FL Keys storm
Allen
Camille
Mitch

'shana
There's a good chance Ivan might drop to 905 mb or lower, if the water temps and other conditions are favorable.
Posted Image

#52 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 12 September 2004 - 12:31 AM

yup. scary. And the only places that are boarding up are in FL...

#53 Appreciate

Appreciate
  • Islander
  • 4,651 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 10:27 AM

My folks live in Destin.  As of bulletin #45, the storm is taking DEAD AIM at them.

:(

They are driving away right now, but what about their house?  The pictures of their wedding and other mementos?   Their Toyota, which will remain in the garage?  I'm afraid that my parent's retirement house and some of the last memories of my childhood are going to be swallowed by this monster's maw.

But at least my folks are doing the sensible thing, and getting out.  I hope everyone else leaves, too, for safety's sake.

Kath
"Any dolt with half a brain/Can see that humankind has gone insane
To the point where I don't know if I'll upset the status quo
If I throw poison in the water main..."
- Billy (aka Dr. Horrible) in My Eyes from the AWESOME Dr. Horrible's SingAlong Blog

#54 schoolpsycho

schoolpsycho
  • Islander
  • 891 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 10:34 AM

{{{{{{{{{{Kath}}}}}}}}}}

I hate hurricanes.

sp
Love is hard...and all there is.

#55 Appreciate

Appreciate
  • Islander
  • 4,651 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 10:38 AM

((((((((((sp))))))))))

Oh, me, too.

As since I live near San Francisco, I hate earthquakes, too.

:(

Will Ivan miss you, does it seem?

Kath
"Any dolt with half a brain/Can see that humankind has gone insane
To the point where I don't know if I'll upset the status quo
If I throw poison in the water main..."
- Billy (aka Dr. Horrible) in My Eyes from the AWESOME Dr. Horrible's SingAlong Blog

#56 schoolpsycho

schoolpsycho
  • Islander
  • 891 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 10:43 AM

Hey, Kath.

Yeah, hate, those too, hope I never experience one.

Yep, for now Ivan is forecast to miss us. But, it's such a huge storm, we'll get hit. One of the Keys reported a 41 mph wind from an outer band that reached the shore there. It'll rain here tomorrow, and get real bad up there Wednesday Night/Thursday morning.

sp
Love is hard...and all there is.

#57 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,379 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 12:46 PM

((((((Kath}}}}}}

This thing has been so unpredictable that the childhood home may still be spared.

I just heard on CNN of a Jamaican woman who was carrying her two babies to higher ground as their home was threatened with flooding, and a surge of water pulled them out of her arms and washed them away.  The storm is indeed a monster that I wish had room to go out to sea and leave everyone alone.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#58 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,095 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 03:48 PM

Actually, the tornado scale goes higher than 5 - but thank goodness no one's ever seen one. A F12 is Mach 1.... now THAT would be loud!

Back to Ivan:

Gilbert
The 1935 FL Keys storm
Allen
Camille
Mitch

'shana
If you got a rotating storm at Mach 1, I don't think there would be anywhere to hide. That would rip up any ground it touched.
Can't Touch This!!

#59 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 04:35 PM

Kosh, on Sep 13 2004, 03:48 PM, said:

Back to Ivan:

Gilbert
The 1935 FL Keys storm
Allen
Camille
Mitch

'shana
If you got a rotating storm at Mach 1, I don't think there would be anywhere to hide. That would rip up any ground it touched.
I need to make something clear.

The highest wind ever recorded on earth is 318 miles an hour, and that is in an F5 tornado. No higher winds have been recorded on Earth.

To find higher winds, you'd have to go to places like Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune.

Edited to add: read more about the Fujita scale here:

http://www.tornadopr...cale/fscale.htm

Saul

Edited by Digital Man, 13 September 2004 - 04:38 PM.

Posted Image

#60 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 04:57 PM

A short bio on Ted Fujita himself, from his 1998 obituary:

http://geography.abo...ta/wfujobit.htm
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Natural Disasters, Hurricane Ivan, 2004

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users