• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#61 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 09:39 PM

is it too late to suggest that everyone in Florida get the hell out??  i dun want any of you in that area to be harmed X.x

starting to wonder if another friend is right....who in Florida pissed off God?  three hurricanes boom-boom-boom like this ain't normal....

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#62 Bookjunkie

Bookjunkie
  • Islander
  • 496 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 10:35 PM

I'm about 3 hours north of Destin, Fl.  I'm in Montgomery, AL.  We're expecting Ivan to hit us Weds. night.  Going to Wally World Tuesday morning to top up on stuff.  Otherwise we're ok.  We have a small generator.

Bookjunkie

Edited by Bookjunkie, 14 September 2004 - 08:02 AM.

#63 UoR11

UoR11
  • Islander
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 11:26 PM

Well, I'm sitting here in Baton Rouge, inside the hurricane watch band. Fortunatly, I'm in a strong building that's up a floor, so I should be fine. On the other hand, if I dissappear for a bit, it'll be because we've lost power or the network. Still, I'm not too worried at the moment. Got a good deal of supplies, got my friends here, got enough time to prepare. And, no I'm not disturbed my the fact that the last two hurricanes hit where I was suppossed to be.   :suspect:
Yes, I am an economist. Yes, I do frequently sing "Can't Buy Me Love". No, I don't see any contradiction there.

#64 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 12:20 AM

I was somewhat confused by the report I heard that people are being allowed back into the Florida Keys..... :suspect:

#65 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 12:26 AM

I'm pretty sure anything over a V tornado is just theory....

Our nephew is in New Orleans. Called him this am and told him to pack, gas up and get ready to make tracks. He said his school was gonna let them know if they'd be closing on Wed. Told him that was too late ...he'd better be out of town by Wed.

They cancelled classes for tomorrow  as of Monday night, and there's a voluntary evac order out.

#66 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 12:27 AM

Anakam, on Sep 13 2004, 11:20 PM, said:

I was somewhat confused by the report I heard that people are being allowed back into the Florida Keys..... :suspect:
Yup. And it's getting hit by winds from Ivan!

#67 Cyncie

Cyncie

Cool Daddio!

• Islander
  • 689 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 12:39 AM

Stay safe, everyone. We'll be sending safe wishes your way.

~Cyn

Goodnight, Sweetheart
Well, it's time to go...

#68 LittleRedhead

LittleRedhead

Have a Sparky

• Islander
  • 9,174 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 12:44 AM

Yes all of you in the path of Ivan stay safe.
John 3:16

Littleredhead's handle is definitely "Truth in Advertising". - Rov

#69 UoR11

UoR11
  • Islander
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 01:52 AM

Okay, just to clear up some confusion in the thread, the hurricane being at 910 refers to the pressure in millibars. Normal pressure at sea level is 1019, I believe (I know it's slightly over 1000) The winds are currently sustained at 160 mph, which is still scary fast, but no, not supersonic.
Yes, I am an economist. Yes, I do frequently sing "Can't Buy Me Love". No, I don't see any contradiction there.

#70 Bookjunkie

Bookjunkie
  • Islander
  • 496 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 08:04 AM

Ivan is expected be a category IV hurricane when it hits Montgomery.  Hurricanes could hit at any time.  Anyone got any D batteries?  I've got everythingn else.

Bookjunkie

#71 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,132 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 08:34 AM

Bookjunkie--Montgomery's pretty far inland, you shouldn't need to evacuate.  Your problems are going to be mostly from downed trees and flooding, much like Orlando's experience with Charley.

Everyone in that region is going to feel at least some effects from that storm.  I'm especially concerned about New Orleans--they're below sea level, the storm surge alone can flood the city and then all that rain . . . :unsure:

Plus my parents and sister live up in Pensacola.  They've boarded up all the windows and are staying in my parent's nice, sturdy brick house.

As for your parents, Appreciate, I'm glad they've left Destin.  I have many friends who live there as well, and especially since so much of that town is RIGHT on the water . .. it's a good idea to get out.

It's sad to think of that house and all of their stuff getting destroyed . . . but it *is* just a house, and it *is* just stuff.  It's the people that really matter.  :)

Anyway, be safe everyone in that region.  I assure you . . .I feel your pain. ;)

-Nick

#72 Bookjunkie

Bookjunkie
  • Islander
  • 496 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 09:54 AM

Nick,

We aren't planning to evacuate.  We are preparing for a lack of electricity and water.  The only thing we lack are more D batteries.   Thanks for your concern everyone.  It's going to be ugly. The only question is:  How ugly?  

Hubby is coming home early today, 4pm,  and taking Weds off, from work.  I'm home and won't be be going back to school until the storm's over.  School's closed until Monday.

Bookjunkie

Edited by Bookjunkie, 14 September 2004 - 02:47 PM.

#73 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,132 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 10:16 AM

^Oh you'll have plenty of water from this storm . . . :devil:

Actually, it's good to be prepared.  My parents have already told me that the local stores in Pensacola are all sold out of canned goods.  Bookjunkie--you're probably S.O.L. on D batteries.  Beg, borrow or barter w/ neighbors if you end up needing them . . . although I sincerely hope you're not without power for very long--if at all.  Being as far inland as you are, the odds are good that it won't affect you that strongly . . . but forces of nature have that annoying habit of being so unpredictable and all . . .

Either way, best of luck to you. & stay safe.

-Nick

#74 Bookjunkie

Bookjunkie
  • Islander
  • 496 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 11:06 AM

we have 10 D batteries. We just wanted a few more.  

BJ

#75 UoR11

UoR11
  • Islander
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 03:12 AM

Well, we've got our supplies set up here, with about 5 days worth of food, the huge amount of bottled water we'd bought for the drive to Atlanta, plenty of batteries and flashlights, and a couple of radios. It looks like we're only going to catch the edge of it, thankfully, so that's probably overkill, but it seemed to way to go.

#76 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 05:32 PM

UoR11, Bookjunkie - I hope both of you stay safe and as dry as possible!

Please keep us updated!
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#77 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,638 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 05:56 PM

I have a feeling that power may be at a premium along the entire Gulf coast for a week or so, but check in when you can.

My friend from New Orleans was driving overnight last night to Dallas and her nephew's house, as that was the closest place where she could find facilities for her four pets.  I had offered my house, but she pointed out that driving east didn't seem the best idea.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#78 Appreciate

Appreciate
  • Islander
  • 4,651 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 11:31 PM

Here it comes.  Waves up to 34' south of Panama City.  Two killed from tornadoes there already.  And 135 mph winds are beginning to punish the shore.

As you probably know, it's the area to the east of the hurricane's eye that takes the most damage, because the storm spins (at least in this part of the world) counter-clockwise.  And so, add to the 135 mph winds the 12 mile forward velocity of the storm, to look for record damage from winds and storm surge right at the Alabama-Florida border (Pensacola, Florida).  

This monster has hurricane force winds 105 miles from the eye, and will sustain that force about 150 miles inland.  Tropical storm force winds extend some 290 miles!!!!  That's huge!

In New Orleans, the guy running emergency services is in trouble for saying they're going to need 10,000 body bags.    :eek:  :(

More minor: My parent's house, in Destin, is at 27', 2.5 blocks from the beach.  I'm crossing my fingers, since Destin's about 50 miles further east than Pensacola.

((((((((((((((((((((Gulf Residents))))))))))))))))))) My thoughts are with you all.

(((((((((((Cardie))))))))))))) and to the rest of those in the path, even in a day or two, I hope you all stay safe.

Kath

Edited by Appreciate, 15 September 2004 - 11:34 PM.

"Any dolt with half a brain/Can see that humankind has gone insane
To the point where I don't know if I'll upset the status quo
If I throw poison in the water main..."
- Billy (aka Dr. Horrible) in My Eyes from the AWESOME Dr. Horrible's SingAlong Blog

#79 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,132 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 08:02 AM

I just heard from my family in Pensacola--they're all fine.  No damage to the house or the vehicles, but they're without power and water.  The eye came ashore around 3am, and it was really scary.  They said the winds are still howling up there, but from the weather sites, the worst is over.

They've got a lot of yard damage and downed trees, their landscaping is completely ruined, but at least everyone is unharmed.

I still haven't heard from my friends in New Orleans, but I'm hoping they were able to evacuate.  I haven't heard any reports on how badly New Orleans was hit, which (hopefully) means the city got through it okay.

-Nick

#80 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,638 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 08:26 AM

New Orleans, being on the west side of the storm, had relatively light wind and rain damage.  Lake Ponchartrain was lapping at the levee, but I don't think they got the terrible storm surge.  There will be some soggy streets, but I heard on Weather Channel they might reopen the airport this afternoon and let people come back in tomorrow.

Right now we are only anticipating lots of rain tomorrow. (Jeanne may be another story.)  Actually Themis and any other EIers in Tennessee may get really soaked if the storm just sits itself in mid-Tennessee and pours down the rain for several days.  They are predicting severe flooding in the Smokies.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Natural Disasters, Hurricane Ivan, 2004

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users