Natural Disasters Hurricane Ivan 2004

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#81 Appreciate

Appreciate
  • Islander
  • 4,651 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 09:16 AM

It does sound as though it could have been worse.  I don't know about my folks' place, of course, and the news said Ft. Walton Beach had winds of at least 90 mph, but overall, sounds as though things could have been much worse.  Nick, I'm glad your family is OK.

Thank heavens, and I hope everyone still stays safe from this still dangerous storm.

Kath
"Any dolt with half a brain/Can see that humankind has gone insane
To the point where I don't know if I'll upset the status quo
If I throw poison in the water main..."
- Billy (aka Dr. Horrible) in My Eyes from the AWESOME Dr. Horrible's SingAlong Blog

#82 Bookjunkie

Bookjunkie
  • Islander
  • 496 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 09:42 PM

Everything ok here in Montgomery.  My sister-in-law  lost power, but we lent our generator so she's ok now.

I just got 'net back a few minutes ago.

Bookjunkie

#83 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 10:59 AM

My parents are still without power . . . they're hearing it might be 2-3 weeks before it's restored.  I was perusing some of the photos . . . and it's just awful.  Downtown Pensacola is virtually destroyed . . . lots of historic buildings have been demolished.  My sister's fiancee's restaurant is underwater.   The city is just wrecked. :(

On a lighter note, I found this and it made me laugh:

Posted Image

;)

-Nick

#84 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 11:23 AM

ROFL Nick!  :lol: :wideeyed:

Kathy, any news on how your parents' house fared?
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#85 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 04:02 PM

I hope ya'll all in the path of Ivan are all ok.

More Ivan-ness:

From the Houston NWS: (

BEGINNING LATE TONIGHT...

ALL EYES BEGIN TO TURN TO OUR EAST AS WE WATCH INCREASING MOISTURE

MOVING WESTWARD ACROSS THE GULF OF MEXICO. SOME OF THIS MOISTURE IS

ASSOCIATED WITH THE REMNANTS OF IVAN...AND THE MODELS DO DEVELOP A

WEAK LOW LEVEL CIRCULATION IN THE GULF. WHETHER OR NOT THIS SYSTEM

TAKES ON TROPICAL CHARACTERISTICS...PRECIPITABLE WATER VALUES ARE

PROGGED TO RISE SIGNIFICANTLY (>2 INCHES) ON THURSDAY AND FRIDAY.

PLAN ON INTRODUCING LOW POPS TONIGHT AND TUESDAY AND THEN INCREASE

THEM FOR THURSDAY/FRIDAY. WILL LOWER POPS A LITTLE FOR NEXT WEEKEND

WITH THE POSSIBILITY OF A COLD FRONT MOVING INTO/THROUGH THE AREA.

THIS WEEK'S FORECAST COULD CHANGE SIGNIFICANTLY IF TROPICAL CYCLONE

DEVELOPMENT OCCURS IN THE GULF OF MEXICO. WILL CLOSELY MONITOR WHAT

TPC/NHC HAS TO SAY IN THE NEXT SEVERAL DAYS. WE ARE ON "BEARS WATCH"

STATUS. 42

Besides all the "The Hurricane formerly known as Ivan" and "Bear Watch " jokes start, does anyone else think the ghost of Ivan is upset 'cause Texas is the only Gulf state not impacted by him?

Seriously, I think that ex-Ivan should just cause some rain if it even gets this far.

But first, Ex-Javiar is floating across the SW US and we're going to see some rain from that here in Central Texas.

Javiar, meet Ivan. Just don't square dance on my house. ;)

#86 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 04:32 PM

I suspect something as dignified as square dancing is the LAST thing on their minds.  ;
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Natural Disasters, Hurricane Ivan, 2004

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users