• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 08:39 AM

Listening to entertainers talking about politics is like watching a dog walking around on its hind legs. It's worth a few laughs, and the dog always falls down.  :cool:
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#22 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 08:56 AM

Have you seen the new comercial with "Ninja Lassie"?
Can't Touch This!!

#23 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 09:25 AM

Kosh, on Sep 9 2004, 08:56 AM, said:

Hmmm. I'm afraid not.  :Oo:
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#24 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 10:04 AM

Drew, on Sep 9 2004, 07:25 AM, said:

You must:

http://www.geindustr...x/emea/aritech/

Go down to "View Lassie Commercial". Drink warning is in effect. :cool:.
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#25 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 11:10 AM

Drew, on Sep 9 2004, 01:39 PM, said:

Listening to entertainers talking about politics is like watching a dog walking around on its hind legs. It's worth a few laughs, and the dog always falls down.  :cool:
Yeah, well here in California (and Minnesota) we elect them to public office.
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#26 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 04:13 PM

Drew, on Sep 9 2004, 07:25 AM, said:

I think the Lassie ad RULES!!!!

Lil
Posted Image

#27 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 04:47 PM

Hotspur Rovinski, on Sep 8 2004, 08:51 PM, said:

I'd also like to see your evidence that the Texas dropout rate is, in fact, over 50%. The best information I've been able to find is at http://www.tea.state...ug2004_dropcomp which says the dropout rate is 0.9%. How would the state of Texas engage in such a massive cover-up? Could I see the links? I also have access to the Lexis Nexis, if the information was reported in a newspaper or somesuch.
There has been a huge controversy about how Texas computes their dropout rates - if you check this resolution you'll see why:

http://www.tea.state...ropoutsatt.html

While Bush was Governor they were using a horribly inaccurate system to compute dropouts.

WHEREAS in a recent report by the San Antonio Express regarding a nine-month study of dropouts at Holmes High School, (1,053 students who were 9th graders at the start of 1997-1998) Northside Independent School District (ISD), shows that 15.9% of the class had dropped out over a four-year period, a rate that was 49% higher than the school’s most recent official longitudinal dropout rate of 10.7% for the students who were first-time 9th graders at the start of 1996-1997; and

WHEREAS the Holmes study showed that 9 out of 10 dropouts were students who had been held back at least one grade, most of them in the 9th grade, and the most recent TEA Dropout Report (page 87) also indicates that 82% of Grades 7-12 dropouts in the state in 1999-2000 were overage/not on grade; and

WHEREAS another study commissioned by the Dallas Morning News and conducted by a research group called Just for the Kids estimated that, on average, 20% of students who entered Texas public high schools in 1994 had not graduated by 1999, for a graduation rate of 77%, and this is contrasted to TEA’s tracking of students over the same four years, showing a graduation rate of 79.5% and a longitudinal four-year dropout rate of 8.5%; and

WHEREAS Just for the Kids estimated that Dallas schools have a longitudinal dropout rate of 28% and Fort Worth, 32% when General Educational Development (GED) recipients are included, contrasted to TEA’s tracking of students over the same four years showing a longitudinal four-year dropout rate plus GED recipients of 13.3% for Dallas ISD and 19.9% for Fort Worth; and

WHEREAS the National Center for Education Statistics reported that fewer than four of five Texans between 18 and 24 years old hold a high school diploma, and Texas finds itself in the bottom five states with the worst high school completion rates at 79.2% compared to Vermont, which is number one with a 95.3% completion rate; and

WHEREAS the annual dropout reporting shows that Texas’ most recent annual dropout rate is 1.3%, which by comparison has been called silly, defying logic, and masking the magnitude of the problem; and

WHEREAS the State Board of Education has the responsibility to consider and recommend appropriate legislative revisions to the set of indicators used in the accountability system; now, therefore, be it

RESOLVED, That a high school completion rate (Grades 9-12) replace the annual dropout rate in the accountability rating system, starting in the year 2003-2004.

I heard about this from family at the time. Notice the parts bolded.

Edited by Rhea, 09 September 2004 - 04:56 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#28 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 07:32 PM

Hey Hotspur Rov,

Josh responded to your post. Go look.
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#29 jon3831

jon3831

Iolanthe's evil conservative twin

• Islander
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 10:40 PM

^Link?
"The issue is not war and peace, rather, how best to   preserve our freedom."
                    --General Russell E. Dougherty, USAF

WWCELeMD?

#30 Dromy

Dromy

Master of Confusion

• Islander
  • 968 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 10:53 PM

^ http://www.beckerfilms.com/post.html  

Rov's is about 5 questions down...
~.'.~I'm old enough to know better, but still too young to care.~.'.~

#31 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 10:56 PM

And I see he pretty much ignored your questions.  :cool:

#32 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 11:00 PM

Drew, on Sep 9 2004, 08:56 PM, said:

And I see he pretty much ignored your questions.  :cool:
Wow, this man has a talent for side-stepping the issue. I especially like how he publishes email addresses without informing you he'll be doing so.

Anyway.

I may send him a follow-up post, but strictly for my own amusement. I don't really expect a good dialogue, but it can be fun to challenge people just for the heck of it.

Thanks for the heads-up VT.

EDIT: Rhea:

From your quote, this appears to be the most critical part:

WHEREAS in a recent report by the San Antonio Express regarding a nine-month study of dropouts at Holmes High School, (1,053 students who were 9th graders at the start of 1997-1998) Northside Independent School District (ISD), shows that 15.9% of the class had dropped out over a four-year period, a rate that was 49% higher than the school’s most recent official longitudinal dropout rate of 10.7% for the students who were first-time 9th graders at the start of 1996-1997; and

Either he misheard 15% as 50%, or he misinterpreted a "50% increase" to mean 50%. In either case, its appalling. But thanks for the heads-up. :).

Edited by Hotspur Rovinski, 09 September 2004 - 11:23 PM.

St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#33 Dev F

Dev F

Straighten your pope hat!

• Islander
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 11:22 PM

If I were to write my own e-mail to this guy, it would go something like this:

Dear Mr. Becker:

You are not helping. Stop it.

Sincerely,
A Genuine Liberal
I am sick to death of these self-appointed Champion of the Left who flaunt their blind ignorance, lack of common sense, and finger-pointing paranoia, and somehow believe that this hysterical irrationality will actually motivate the masses to boot Bush out of the White House.

I believe we have the moral and intellectual high ground here. But how are we supposed to convince undecided middle-of-the-road voters of our truthfulness and decency if we don't frelling act like it? We need spokesmen who are knowledgeable, level-headed, and compassionate, and instead we're stuck with shrill, dishonest Moore-ons.

#34 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 11:28 PM

Dev's always been one of my favorite liberals.  :cool:

I also like Orson Scott Card.  :cool:

. . . my party has been taken over by an astonishingly self-destructive bunch of lunatics who are so dazzled by Hollywood that they think their ideas make sense, I have to agree that right now, any President but Bush and any Congress but a Republican-dominated one would be disastrous.

As a Democrat, I would hope that a solid trouncing of our fanatic-ruled party at the polls this November would serve as a wakeup call and remind Democrats that they only get to do the things that the Democrat Party exists to do if they get enough votes to control the White House and Congress. Which requires that you have serious candidates and embrace serious issues that most Americans, not just tiny pressure groups, care about.

And on that day, Democratic moderates can take the party back. And yes, Democratic moderates actually exist. They're all voting for Bush this year, but they'd rather have had a Democratic candidate to vote for.

. . .

Speaking as an embarrassed and fed-up Democrat, I have to say to the national leaders of my own party: What were you thinking when you nominated this man!

Is there really no one better than this that the Democratic Party can offer to the American people to lead us in time of war?

Well, yes, there is. The Democratic Party could have nominated Joe Lieberman. The Democratic Party could have chosen a candidate who would help unite the country in the prosecution of a war forced on us by cruel and ambitious enemies -- and then put forward the Democratic program for keeping America a decent place for people who haven't got great stock options.

Instead, the Democratic Party has nominated a man who has spent his whole career attacking Americans who actually fight for their country, provoking divisiveness during wartime for his own political gain, and voting with absolute consistency to strip America of the means of defending ourselves against our enemies.

What were the Democratic Party leaders thinking?

Not of America's good, that's for sure.

As it seems right now, the Democratic Party has apparently nominated three habitual, self-serving liars in a row. The guy who has his own definition of "is," the guy who invented the Internet, and now the guy who spent Christmas in Cambodia.

Why hasn't Michael Moore made a movie about that? If, as Linda Ronstadt says, Moore's a great American who exposes liars and hypocrites, then surely we should be seeing the documentary Christmas in Cambodia in all the theaters.

But of course we never will. Because members of the Liars Club never rat each other out. There is, apparently, honor among mudslingers.

Edited by Drew, 09 September 2004 - 11:41 PM.

#35 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 11:29 PM

Go Dev F, I'm with you on that.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

#36 nutmeg

nutmeg

Just passing through

• Islander
  • 169 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 11:39 PM

Well maybe not *all*  moderate democrats are voting for Bush - this one isn't.  Like Karl Popper said, ya can't say all swans are white when there's a black one swimming in the pond.     ;)

black swan, nutmeg.

#37 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 07:28 AM

Hotspur Rovinski, on Sep 10 2004, 05:00 AM, said:

I especially like how he publishes email addresses without informing you he'll be doing so.
I noticed that the person currently three questions down doesn't have an email addy given there.... perhaps if you request he take it out while dropping hints about buying a copy of one or more of his films.... :Oo:
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#38 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 07:43 AM

Director Josh Becker wrote:

George W. Bush as president, and even more egregiously as commander-in-chief, has completely, utterly and 100% failed in all of his responsibilities.  To cast a vote for Bush is not only unpatriotic, I think it’s an act of treason.  A vote for Bush means you hate the USA.

Fair enough. Specifically?

On September 11, 2001, when Osama bin Laden and al Qaeda attacked our country and destroyed the World Trade Centers, George W. Bush was handed a deadly serious and solemn mandate for his presidency-avenge this act of terrorism and the lives of the three thousand people lost that day.  To achieve that he would have to do two things: capture or kill Osama bin Laden, and destroy al Qaeda. In the three years following, has Bush achieved his mandate?

Absolutely. We attacked Al Queda's assets across the globe, arresting people like the Shoe Bomber, and Khalid Mohammed, the admitted mastermind of the 9/11 attacks. Two months after 9/11, we liberated Afghanistan.

If Josh Becker had his facts together, we would have invaded Iraq two months after 9/11.

We didn't.

Josh Becker is entitled to his opinion, but he does not have any facts to support his claim.

Instead of avenging America’s grievous loss, Bush needlessly attacked Iraq, without a coalition of our allies, for a totally false reason, which has now cost us thousands of our soldier’s lives, and tens of thousands of innocent civilians.

Bush waited 8 months to invade Iraq, 8 months of diplomacy, 8 months of UN inspectors, 8 months of Saddam Hussein stonewalling. If Josh Becker were telling the truth, then Bush invaded Iraq two months after 9/11. He didn't.

But why didn’t Bush go after Osama bin Laden?

Because he's a Bush contributor? You're obviously not interested in the facts or the truth, make up something.

I can hear the conservatives saying, “Oh, that’s nothing but fabrications from Michael Moore’s scurrilous film, ‘Fahrenheit 9/11’.”

That and the fact that every Democrat official, Democrat columnist, Democrat pundit, Democrat party leader, Democrat Senator, and Democrat congressmen agreed with Clinton's signing of the 1998 Iraq Liberation Act. That would make every Democrat criticism about dealing with Saddam Hussein now extremely curious, if not downright indefensible.

It is flatly unpatriotic to ignore that the man you intend to cast your vote for has personal ties to our worst enemy.  It is unpatriotic to vote for someone who has done so poorly with the budget, job creation, unification, peace, harmony, or anything else positive.

Harmony? How about the entire Democrat party deciding that they way back to power was to divide America (and the world) over our War policy? It was the Democrat party who told the world Bush was selected, not elected. It was the Democrat party who told the world that Bush just wanted to steal Iraq's oil. A lot of the world believed what the Democrats (and their press) said about our President. That's harmonic to you, Josh Becker? You're not being honest.

George W. Bush has divided our country, gotten us into a needless war, and worst of all, has ignored his mandate.

Which, according to his February 2000 campaign speech at Bob Jones University, was to remove Saddam Hussein from power with and I quote, "A coalition of the willing". A term he has used repeatedly as president. Mandate kept.

When John Kerry becomes president his mandate will be to straighten out the horrible mess Bush and his utterly incompetent crew have made of everything, which will probably take a full four years.

Yes, and Kerry's poll numbers have sagged because he has not been clear at all in how his plan would be different. Or even if he would remove Saddam. Not remove Saddam. Remove Saddam. Not remove Saddam. Let us know when Kerry decides what his ultimate 'nuance' will be.

Thanks Josh, but unless you can back up your emotion with facts, it' s just emotion. And hate won't elect John Kerry president, as you and many of his supporters are panicking right now.

-Ogami

Edited by Ogami, 10 September 2004 - 08:03 AM.

#39 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 08:30 AM

Ogami, on Sep 10 2004, 07:43 AM, said:

Director Josh Becker wrote:

George W. Bush as president, and even more egregiously as commander-in-chief, has completely, utterly and 100% failed in all of his responsibilities.  To cast a vote for Bush is not only unpatriotic, I think it?s an act of treason.  A vote for Bush means you hate the USA.

Fair enough. Specifically?

On September 11, 2001, when Osama bin Laden and al Qaeda attacked our country and destroyed the World Trade Centers, George W. Bush was handed a deadly serious and solemn mandate for his presidency-avenge this act of terrorism and the lives of the three thousand people lost that day.  To achieve that he would have to do two things: capture or kill Osama bin Laden, and destroy al Qaeda. In the three years following, has Bush achieved his mandate?

Absolutely. We attacked Al Queda's assets across the globe, arresting people like the Shoe Bomber, and Khalid Mohammed, the admitted mastermind of the 9/11 attacks. Two months after 9/11, we liberated Afghanistan.

If Josh Becker had his facts together, we would have invaded Iraq two months after 9/11.

We didn't.

Josh Becker is entitled to his opinion, but he does not have any facts to support his claim.

Instead of avenging America?s grievous loss, Bush needlessly attacked Iraq, without a coalition of our allies, for a totally false reason, which has now cost us thousands of our soldier?s lives, and tens of thousands of innocent civilians.

Bush waited 8 months to invade Iraq, 8 months of diplomacy, 8 months of UN inspectors, 8 months of Saddam Hussein stonewalling. If Josh Becker were telling the truth, then Bush invaded Iraq two months after 9/11. He didn't.

But why didn?t Bush go after Osama bin Laden?

Because he's a Bush contributor? You're obviously not interested in the facts or the truth, make up something.

I can hear the conservatives saying, ?Oh, that?s nothing but fabrications from Michael Moore?s scurrilous film, ?Fahrenheit 9/11?.?

That and the fact that every Democrat official, Democrat columnist, Democrat pundit, Democrat party leader, Democrat Senator, and Democrat congressmen agreed with Clinton's signing of the 1998 Iraq Liberation Act. That would make every Democrat criticism about dealing with Saddam Hussein now extremely curious, if not downright indefensible.

It is flatly unpatriotic to ignore that the man you intend to cast your vote for has personal ties to our worst enemy.  It is unpatriotic to vote for someone who has done so poorly with the budget, job creation, unification, peace, harmony, or anything else positive.

Harmony? How about the entire Democrat party deciding that they way back to power was to divide America (and the world) over our War policy? It was the Democrat party who told the world Bush was selected, not elected. It was the Democrat party who told the world that Bush just wanted to steal Iraq's oil. A lot of the world believed what the Democrats (and their press) said about our President. That's harmonic to you, Josh Becker? You're not being honest.

George W. Bush has divided our country, gotten us into a needless war, and worst of all, has ignored his mandate.

Which, according to his February 2000 campaign speech at Bob Jones University, was to remove Saddam Hussein from power with and I quote, "A coalition of the willing". A term he has used repeatedly as president. Mandate kept.

When John Kerry becomes president his mandate will be to straighten out the horrible mess Bush and his utterly incompetent crew have made of everything, which will probably take a full four years.

Yes, and Kerry's poll numbers have sagged because he has not been clear at all in how his plan would be different. Or even if he would remove Saddam. Not remove Saddam. Remove Saddam. Not remove Saddam. Let us know when Kerry decides what his ultimate 'nuance' will be.

Thanks Josh, but unless you can back up your emotion with facts, it' s just emotion. And hate won't elect John Kerry president, as you and many of his supporters are panicking right now.

-Ogami
One of your best posts.
Can't Touch This!!

#40 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 10:35 AM

Rov,

You don't have to post your email addy. But once you do, you can't have it taken off-at least, that's my understanding.

Also Rov-if you feel he side-stepped the questions, call him on it. One thing I'll say for Mr. Becker-I may not agree with everything he says, but he's not afraid of debate. Just read the Q & A's for yourself.

The man's not afraid to say what's on his mind-I'll give him that much.

Edited by Digital Man, 10 September 2004 - 10:37 AM.

Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Election, 2004, Bush, Josh Becker, Opinion

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users