Election 2004 Machismo Bush Kerry

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Bouree57

Bouree57
  • Islander
  • 578 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 12:53 AM

Apparently female Republicans are a rarity. I know several and they are all very staunch Bush supports. But I wondered about some of my religious female friends. Most of them don't like Bush at all but he's very firm on religious legislation. I'm thinking now that they just see him as too much of a cowboy from the wild wild west.

http://www.usnews.co...news/20bush.htm

Note: this article will be available for about 2 weeks. After that it is archived but may be located at www.usnews.com under the title "What the guys want"

-- B
My words but a whisper, your deafness a shout!
I may make you feel but I can't make you think.
(from Thick as a Brick, Jethro Tull)

He who made kittens put snakes in the grass.
He's a lover of life but a player of pawns.
(from Bungle in the Jungle--War Child, JT)

#2 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 07:13 AM

To show he was a regular "testosterone" guy, Kerry waved a gun around at a rally the other week. He's a regular joe. Sadly, it was one of the weapons he voted to ban sales of.

Maybe Kerry doesn't need new advisors. His advisors need a new candidate.

"Bring... it... on..." indeed.

Here's the Drudge Report article on Kerry's attempt to be macho:

http://www.drudgerep...214603_dncg.htm

KERRY COSPONSORED BILL BANNING GUN HE WAVES

Was Dem presidential hopeful John Kerry seen this weekend waving a gun which would have been banned if legislation he co-sponsored became law?

Kerry co-sponsored S. 1431 last year (“The Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2003) which would have banned a "semiautomatic shotgun that has a pistol grip.”

Opponents of the bill successfully argued how nearly all guns have "pistol grips," inluding millions of Browning Auto-5 shotguns produced since 1903.

Photos show Kerry's hand resting on the "pistol grip," as loosely defined in the bill. [Section SEC. 2; (H) (ii) and (b)(42): "The term 'pistol grip' means a grip, a thumbhole stock, or any other characteristic that can function as a grip."]

Edited by Ogami, 14 September 2004 - 07:44 AM.

#3 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 08:18 AM

Ogami, on Sep 14 2004, 07:13 AM, said:

To show he was a regular "testosterone" guy, Kerry waved a gun around at a rally the other week.
Yeah, and then he quipped that he couldn't take it to the debates with him. Really.
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#4 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 08:27 AM

Yet we're told Cheney and Miller were the ones with the hateful speech, yeah right.

-Ogami

#5 StarDust

StarDust
  • Islander
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 12:46 PM

And starting the end of last week, when it was far too late to do anything, he got on the gun ban wagon.  Blaming Bush for the fact it's not being renewed.

There had been comments for 2 weeks on ABC News that Kerry was saying nothing with regard to the Gun Ban bill renewal, on purpose, because the majority of Dems in Congress were against renewing it.

And now he blames Bush, who has said he'd sign it.  Last I knew it was Congress job to pass a bill that the President has to sign.  Isn't Kerry a senator?  Why hasn't he sponsered a bill himself?  Why hasn't he been pushing for a renewal for months now? He does know what job he is actually currently being paid to do, doesn't he?

#6 StarDust

StarDust
  • Islander
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 12:50 PM

Wow!  I just read the linked article.  That's extremely condesending to men, especially white men.  The writer obviously has an agenda, and everyone that doesn't go a long with it are hard drinking partying 'regular' guys.

#7 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 02:59 PM

George W. Bush has it down: the "bring 'em on" macho sensibility, the public swagger, even the quick-draw High Noon cowboy stride. Call it the testosterone factor. It's one reason Bush has maintained a strong appeal to white men throughout his presidency, especially in the South and Southwest.

Can someone please explain this? George Bush doesn't come across as particularly "macho" to me. He comes across as a regular 'guy'. Are regular guys so rare these days that the appearance of one causes an eruption of negative stereotypes by the media? Are there no 'guys' where these journalists live?
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#8 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 03:04 PM

StarDust, on Sep 14 2004, 12:50 PM, said:

Wow!  I just read the linked article.  That's extremely condesending to men, especially white men.
There's also a strong subtext suggesting that only white men would be fooled by Bush. If you don't happen to be a white man and you're voting for George Bush, you must be as stupid as those white guys.

#9 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 06:37 PM

I have faith in the inherent wisdom of the American people, and that includes white males. They didn't know what Bush was like in 2000, but they're well acquainted with his style of government now, which means he will lose. It's disturbingly close right now, but in the end the best candidate will win (ie: Kerry), and better times are ahead for the United States. The current climate of despair and fear will end, and hopefully, a period of growth and optimism will follow.

Kerry still leads Bush in the electoral college, but it's very close. For some reason, the most important elections always seem to be the squeakers.

George W. Bush has it down: the "bring 'em on" macho sensibility, the public swagger, even the quick-draw High Noon cowboy stride. Call it the testosterone factor. It's one reason Bush has maintained a strong appeal to white men throughout his presidency, especially in the South and Southwest. His lead among white men, in fact, has held steady at about 20 points nationally over Democratic challenger John Kerry for months and, because of his projection of strength in the war on terror, may actually be increasing.

I must confess I don't understand this perception at all. Bush has always struck me as cold and aristocratic, not macho or like a "regular" guy. Is it because he declared war on another country?
Per aspera ad astra

#10 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 06:53 PM

Kevin Street, on Sep 14 2004, 06:37 PM, said:

I have faith in the inherent wisdom of the American people, and that includes white males. They didn't know what Bush was like in 2000, but they're well acquainted with his style of government now, which means he will lose. It's disturbingly close right now, but in the end the best candidate will win (ie: Kerry), . . .
Have you seen the latest polls?  :cool:

#11 HubcapDave

HubcapDave

Bald is Beautiful!

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 06:56 PM

Kevin, your opinion smacks of whistling through the graveyard to me. I have yet to really see a compelling arguement for John Kerry beyond the fact the he's "not George Bush".

Furthermore, it seems that all Kerry can manage to do nowadays is reinforce further his rep as a "flip-flopper" who does whatever seems to be to his political advantage. The latest goof is accepting as a gift a weapon which he had tried to ban, then going on to criticize Bush on letting the AWB lapse. Considering the man is a legislator and can introduce bills, if this ban was so blasted important to him, why didn't he introduce legislation to extend the ban?

Sorry, but this white guy's money is riding on Bush!

#12 Caretaker

Caretaker
  • Islander
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 11:13 PM

Well, Bush will never gain any sort of lead in the eyes of this white mile, age 18-35.

#13 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 12:47 AM

HubcapDave, on Sep 14 2004, 04:56 PM, said:

Kevin, your opinion smacks of whistling through the graveyard to me. I have yet to really see a compelling arguement for John Kerry beyond the fact the he's "not George Bush".
Well, the way I see it is like this: Kerry is an excellent administrator (look at his record as a prosecutor for evidence of that), he's progressive on many important issues like education and the environment, he has a health care plan that would actually help people, and well, like you said... he's not Bush. That actually counts for quite a bit when we're talking about issues like national security and foreign policy. A fresh President who hasn't made a cartload of mistakes (yet, anyway) can do a lot to restore America's prestige and convince recalcitrant nations to help out in places like Iraq.

Furthermore, it seems that all Kerry can manage to do nowadays is reinforce further his rep as a "flip-flopper" who does whatever seems to be to his political advantage. The latest goof is accepting as a gift a weapon which he had tried to ban, then going on to criticize Bush on letting the AWB lapse. Considering the man is a legislator and can introduce bills, if this ban was so blasted important to him, why didn't he introduce legislation to extend the ban?

Probably because he knew there was no chance it would pass.

Sorry, but this white guy's money is riding on Bush!

I'm sorry to hear that, HubcapDave. But I respect your decision. Hopefully we'll all be happy a year from now when this election is just a memory.

#14 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 01:15 AM

I honestly think that depends on by what margin the next election is won. If it comes down to the supreme court selecting a president for the second time, because of 1000 odd votes in florida, then we'll still be talking about this a year from now.

of course, if the Bush-ites are correct  he's going to win so overwhelmingly ti won't make a difference.

Edited by Cyberhippie, 15 September 2004 - 01:16 AM.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#15 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 01:24 AM

The polls put Kerry and Bush very close together, at least in terms of the popular vote. So it may turn out to be a situation similar to the 2000 election.

But surely they've fixed the problems in the electoral system so that can't happen again. Right? :look:

#16 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 02:43 AM

hah i'll believe that when i see it.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#17 Bouree57

Bouree57
  • Islander
  • 578 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 03:03 AM

StarDust, on Sep 14 2004, 12:46 PM, said:

There had been comments for 2 weeks on ABC News that Kerry was saying nothing with regard to the Gun Ban bill renewal, on purpose, because the majority of Dems in Congress were against renewing it.

And now he blames Bush, who has said he'd sign it.  Last I knew it was Congress job to pass a bill that the President has to sign.  Isn't Kerry a senator?  Why hasn't he sponsered a bill himself?  Why hasn't he been pushing for a renewal for months now? He does know what job he is actually currently being paid to do, doesn't he?
That's the first thought I had about it when I heard Kerry blasting Bush. FTR Kerry is still a senator until the election. After that, who knows?

But the point is that people will listen to the rhetoric and believe that it was Bush's fault. That's the bad thing about all this. The accusations are heard loud and clear, but the responses get little air play.

-- B

#18 Bouree57

Bouree57
  • Islander
  • 578 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 03:22 AM

I have faith in the inherent wisdom of the American people, and that includes white males. They didn't know what Bush was like in 2000, but they're well acquainted with his style of government now, which means he will lose. It's disturbingly close right now...
I don't think that's exactly true. Bush was a governor in Texas and many knew what kind of governor he was. Very pro death penalty with very few getting reviews much less pardons. That says alot about him and the last four years are not out of character for what was seen during his time as governor.

George W. Bush has it down: the "bring 'em on" macho sensibility, the public swagger, even the quick-draw High Noon cowboy stride. Call it the testosterone factor. It's one reason Bush has maintained a strong appeal to white men throughout his presidency, especially in the South and Southwest. His lead among white men, in fact, has held steady at about 20 points nationally over Democratic challenger John Kerry for months and, because of his projection of strength in the war on terror, may actually be increasing.

I must confess I don't understand this perception at all. Bush has always struck me as cold and aristocratic, not macho or like a "regular" guy. Is it because he declared war on another country?

I think the "regular" guy thing has more to do with his family life and his family values. There's a statement later in the article that says Bush leads Kerry by 20 points among married white men. JMO, of course.

As for the macho thing, that's about his stance on terrorism (again my opinion). Many believe that you can't fight a "sensitive" war with terrorists. Standing back and doing nothing (like Clinton) didn't stop them from continuing to attack us. On the contrary, it made us look like an easy target that would just crumble and die.

-- B

#19 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 08:14 AM

Drew, on Sep 14 2004, 06:53 PM, said:

I have faith in the inherent wisdom of the American people, and that includes white males. They didn't know what Bush was like in 2000, but they're well acquainted with his style of government now, which means he will lose. It's disturbingly close right now, but in the end the best candidate will win (ie: Kerry), . . .
Have you seen the latest polls?  :cool:
I can't recall who took the poll, as I was about half asleep with the TV on, but I saw one last night that has the two tied, even figuring in Nadar, who comes in at 3%. That's kind of the feeling I'm getting locally. The State has been called for Bush, since he won last time, even with our 2 to 1 Democrat registration. I'm waiting for Metro news to do there poll. They called the state elections last time, right down to the percentages. (Metro news is a moderate/leaning conservitive radio network here.)
Can't Touch This!!

#20 StarDust

StarDust
  • Islander
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 12:48 PM

Kevin Street, on Sep 15 2004, 02:24 AM, said:

The polls put Kerry and Bush very close together, at least in terms of the popular vote. So it may turn out to be a situation similar to the 2000 election.

No the polls do not have them tied at all.  Go look over at Gallup
also at Gallup
Bush Exceeds or Ties With Kerry on Most Ratings of Presidential Characteristics
Leadership and honesty are Bush’s strong points

CBS
CNN page with links to lots of other media all saying Bush is ahead 7-11 points among voters.

I'm sure you can find plenty of others.  Most seem to feel Bush has a 7 point lead.

But surely they've fixed the problems in the electoral system so that can't happen again. Right? :look:

I think this time it won't be close enough that that will be an issue (or excuse). As far as last time, it think it was more a matter that Dems couldn't believe their stronghold had become a battle ground state, and they had lost.  But it's had a Republican governor for 2 terms now.  And the Cubans are stilled pissed about Elian.

I have faith in the inherent wisdom of the American people
Is that true if they disagree with you?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Election 2004, Machismo, Bush, Kerry

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users