Natural disasters Hurricane Jeanne 2004

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 10:08 PM

Edit to add: Update, Jeanne is now projected to make landfall on the Southeast coast of Florida, and come up through central florida.  Again.

Well . . . now Jeanne's churning in the Atlantic and may strike the U.S. mainland sometime next week.  The projections are all over the place . . . she could make landfall anywhere in the Southeast.  Although, one ray of sunshine--last I heard was that she's not expected to get above a Category 2 if/when she does make landfall.  Charley wrecked Central Florida, and Frances hit us from the other side, and now Ivan has just smashed up the Panhandle.  Will Jeanne please be sensible and just veer off out to sea and dissipate?

I've dealt with two, my family's now without water and power after Ivan, and there's Jeanne (oh and Karl's way out there too) I'm over this crap. :glare:

Enough already.  Why is this hurricane season so bad????

-Nick

Edited by Nick, 23 September 2004 - 07:46 PM.

#2 Chipper

Chipper

Give it up

• Islander
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 10:12 PM

*sigh*

((((((((((((((((((((((((Southerners))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Hope it all works out in the end.

(and now for a moment just meant to lighten the mood, nothing more...

This is why the North won... :p  we didn't have the hurricanes!!!!)

:p

Ok, bad joke....
"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?"

- Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#3 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,478 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 08:26 AM

We all have something though.  In the western U.S. they have earthquakes and major forest fires.  In the north and northeast, they have the great blizzards.  Here in the mid-west, we have tornados and major climate changes.  In the east and south, its hurricanes (and waterspouts :hehe:)  Let's face it, we're all screwed.  :D

Edited to add:  Its pronounced G-Nee (as in genie in a bottle)  Not, G-Ann or G-Annie or some other weird concoction. :p

Edited again to offer: the link to the other Jeanne thread which Kosh points out the reason why hurricanes are becoming more frequent (and stronger).  Kosh's hurricane report

Edited by FnlPrblm, 17 September 2004 - 08:49 AM.

"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

#4 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 08:53 AM

Hey Nick {{{{{{{nick}}}}}}}}

You have been having a really rough time of it this hurricane season, and this ceased to be amusing a long time ago

I'll cross my fingers that Jeanne heads out to deep water.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#5 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 10:19 AM

It's Jeb Bush's fault for the 2000 election? ;)

Okay-bad joke. Sorry. :lol:

Seriously-you Floridians have been through TOO much already. I have relatives there, and I'm amazed they haven't been affected.  :Oo:

I hope everything works out for the folks down there. :(

Edited by Digital Man, 17 September 2004 - 10:20 AM.

Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#6 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,380 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 12:21 PM

Digital Man, on Sep 17 2004, 11:19 AM, said:

It's Jeb Bush's fault for the 2000 election? ;)
I bow my head in shame to say that this did occur to me to keep in the "snappy retort" file the next time some liberal-basher got on my nerves.  :p   (But it was only a momentary temptation, really--these things are too awful to joke about.)

According to the meteorologists on Weather Channel, this hurricane's name is to be pronounced just as if it were spelled "Jean"; they added the -ne to make sure it wasn't confused with the French male name that is spelled the same way.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#7 LaughingVulcan

LaughingVulcan

Isn't it about time you got a little more LV in your life?

• Islander
  • 3,445 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 10:20 PM

Either way you pronounce it, it spells Trouble with a capital T for somebody.

I hope you keep staying safe, Nick, and I am amazed at how you manage to reassure us you're OK with power outages / staying with others / etc.

-LV
Posted Image
Nikki's Loving LV.  Property of the PPD.  Aka "Mr. Peppermint"
The Vulcan-Pixie alliance is strong.

#8 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 11:10 AM

Jeanne's projected path keeps getting shifted further and further eastward.  Her path is still anybody's guess more than 3 day's out, but until then, she's staying in the Atlantic and may very well stay there till she dies (fingers crossed)

As for Karl, he's up to a hurricane status, but he's expected to track right into the middle of the Atlantic over the next five days . . . nowhere near land for the foreseeable future.  Again, hoping he stays there till he dies. :)

-Nick

#9 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 04:16 PM

However you say it, Jeanne is a killer hurricane- 250+ so far in Haiti. http://www.cnn.com/2...anne/index.html

I wish there was something that we could do about Haiti - they're so poor and the land is so deforested that a thunderstorm can kill hundreds.

I thonk NHC is a wee bit confused about Jeanne's path... their cone is a circle. http://www.wundergro...00411_5day.html

OK ... Karl is a major hurricane, but looks to be no threat to land (yippee!)

http://www.wundergro...00412_5day.html

Lisa is well organized, tiny and the next hurricane in the 2 off one on theory of this season (Alex, Bonnie, Charlie, Danielle, Earl, Frances, Gaston, Hermine, Ivan, Jeanne, Karl, Lisa ) but we don't need to worry yet.

She's not quite at hurricane strength and not quite near land yet... http://www.wundergro...00413_5day.html

And it's not over yet. Matthew and Nicole may form from something that is already on the sat maps. Just keep informed...

'shana

#10 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 04:40 PM

250?  Meeeeeeeeeep.  :eek: :(
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#11 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 05:10 PM

Over 600 have been killed in Haiti. :(

#12 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 05:53 PM

^ Yup. Actually, they've found 691, but many many many more are still missing.

:(

Edited by Shoshana, 21 September 2004 - 05:53 PM.

#13 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,478 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 01:06 AM

Well Nick (and others in FL), I hope you didn't get too tossed around after Ivan the Second came around and side-swiped you as you were looking out into the Atlantic.  And you thought he wasn't coming for you.  :suspect: It however was pretty unique and interesting to see the reminences of a hurricane split into two seperate storm fronts and have one of them circle back around.  I haven't checked today, but last night those storms were rolling right long thru FL with minor circulation/rotation in it.   :eek2: What's up with you guys?  You have a homing beakon on down there or something? ;)  I'd throw out that new cologne you just bought.  These hurricanes like it too much.  :hehe:  What are you going to do right?  Well good luck to you all down there in the coastal states.  Hope you all in Texas aren't going to get nailed by anything but a couple thunderstorms and not a full-blown hurricane.

Question:  If the reminences of Ivan do reform into a hurricane (or tropical storm) in the Gulf of Mexico, will it be renamed or will it continue being called Ivan?  And has this split kind of thing ever happened before (that we know of)?  My dad and I couldn't think of any instances where a hurricane split in two and one of the parts reformed into a second version.
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

#14 Appreciate

Appreciate
  • Islander
  • 4,651 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 09:18 AM

Oh no!

Looks like they think that Jeanie NOW might head straight for South Carolina!  Cardie, get ahead of the lines and get water and stuff right away!

This has just been a dreadful storm season!!

Here's the storm track as of this morning.

Kath
"Any dolt with half a brain/Can see that humankind has gone insane
To the point where I don't know if I'll upset the status quo
If I throw poison in the water main..."
- Billy (aka Dr. Horrible) in My Eyes from the AWESOME Dr. Horrible's SingAlong Blog

#15 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 10:16 AM

Question: If the reminences of Ivan do reform into a hurricane (or tropical storm) in the Gulf of Mexico, will it be renamed or will it continue being called Ivan? And has this split kind of thing ever happened before (that we know of)? My dad and I couldn't think of any instances where a hurricane split in two and one of the parts reformed into a second version

If it gets named it will be Matthew or Nicole, depending on when the system west of Lisa gets named. But it's still pretty weak.

What's out there? Lots: from flhurricane.com

Edited by Shoshana, 22 September 2004 - 10:19 AM.

#16 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,380 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 12:45 PM

Appreciate, on Sep 22 2004, 10:18 AM, said:

Oh no!

Looks like they think that Jeanie NOW might head straight for South Carolina!  Cardie, get ahead of the lines and get water and stuff right away!

This has just been a dreadful storm season!!

Here's the storm track as of this morning.

Kath

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Our local forecasters still think it will hit the outer banks of NC, which is where that track is heading, too.  However, I keep permanent supplies of bottled water, batteries and canned food.  Between hurricanes, ice storms, and the tendency of power lines to go out in our many thunderstorms, a South Carolinian has to have that emergency kit ready to go.

During my very first weather-related power outage in SC, I was so proud to have stocked up on all those canned goods, only to realize that I only had an electric can opener!  :D

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#17 Borgs8472

Borgs8472
  • Islander
  • 166 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 02:46 PM

she's just some girl... says that ----I--- am the one..... :D

#18 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 04:26 PM

OK ... NHC has done a u-turn on the naming of "The Remnants of Ivan" the latest info:

Tropical Weather Outlook

Statement as of 5:30 PM EDT on September 22, 2004

For the North Atlantic...Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico...
The National Hurricane Center is issuing advisories on Hurricane
Jeanne...drifting southward about 500 miles east of great abaco in
the northwest Bahamas...on Hurricane Karl...located about 1400
miles west-southwest of westernmost Azores...and on Tropical Storm
Lisa...located about 1200 miles west of the Cape Verde Islands.

Satellite images and surface data indicate that the area of low
pressure in the north central Gulf of Mexico...which has been
determined by the National Hurricane Center to be the remnant of
Ivan...may be redeveloping into a tropical cyclone. Squalls with
gusts near tropical storm force are already occurring near the
Louisiana coast. If a reconnaissance plane... currently approaching
the system...determines that a cyclone has reformed...advisories on
Ivan will be reinitiated.
  Upper-level winds are only marginally
favorable for additional development. This system is expected to
continue moving toward the west-northwestward at 10 to 15 mph.
Interests along the north central and northwestern Gulf Coast and
over adjacent waters should closely monitor the progress of this
weather system and be ready to take actions...if necessary.

An area of disturbed weather centered about 950 miles west of the
Cape Verde Islands and nearing Tropical Storm Lisa is moving slowly
west-northwestward.  This system continues to be fairly
well-organized and conditions appear favorable for a tropical
depression to form tonight or Thursday.
Elsewhere...tropical storm formation is not expected through
Thursday.

Are we having fun yet?

'shana

#19 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 05:45 PM

It's official. Ivan's back.  :eek4:

Tropical map

'shana

#20 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 06:01 PM

Shoshana, on Sep 22 2004, 05:45 PM, said:

It's official. Ivan's back.  :eek4:

Tropical map

'shana

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Somebody has to drive a stake into this thing!  :Oo:

It just refuses to die!

:blink:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Natural disasters, Hurricane Jeanne, 2004

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users