Natural disasters Hurricane Jeanne 2004

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 06:13 PM

^ yup. And some models have him come to Texas, drop a buttload of rain and then moving BACK into the Gulf!

At this rate he'll be around for Halloween and we can call him "Jason"...

Edited by Shoshana, 22 September 2004 - 06:13 PM.

#22 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 08:34 PM

Jeanne is poised to strike anywhere between ME (again!) and NC.  Hurricane Karl looks to be headed for Santa Claus, and Lisa may end up merging with the tropical wave.  Oh, yeah, and Ivan's back from the dead as a Tropical Storm.  Again.

And the NHC only predicted 5 major hurricanes this season BWAH!

#23 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,479 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 08:44 PM

Can we just rename Ivan to Invincible?  :hehe:
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

#24 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 09:31 PM

Shoshana, on Sep 22 2004, 11:45 PM, said:

It's official. Ivan's back.  :eek4:

Tropical map

'shana

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:Oo:

Quick, somebody find a nice POLAR FRONT!  :wacko:

(And swing it by Jeanne too, as long as its down south.  That thing waffles more than I do. :p )
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#25 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,479 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 07:45 AM

Nick, on Sep 21 2004, 10:10 PM, said:

Over 600 have been killed in Haiti. :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well as of last night, the total was up to 2000 and still looking for 1000 additional people according to the Weather Channel.

What I can't get is the fact that Haiti is mostly mountainous terrain, so why don't they literally run for the hills?
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

#26 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 07:44 PM

Based on the latest forecast models . . . Jeanne's probably going to make landfall somewhere around Brevard County, FL . . . and on up right through Orlando.

:(

Have I mentioned I'm SOOOoooo over this crap? :glare:

-Nick

#27 Appreciate

Appreciate
  • Islander
  • 4,651 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 08:33 PM

(((((((((((((((((Nick)))))))))))))))))) :(

I am so sorry!!  For a long time it looked as though this one would miss you, but now it doesn't.  :(

Kath
"Any dolt with half a brain/Can see that humankind has gone insane
To the point where I don't know if I'll upset the status quo
If I throw poison in the water main..."
- Billy (aka Dr. Horrible) in My Eyes from the AWESOME Dr. Horrible's SingAlong Blog

#28 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 08:34 PM

It could change again. ;)

I mean, really... Jeanne waffles more than I do.  Or the models of Jeanne waffle more than I do.  :eek4:
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#29 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 10:29 PM

FnlPrblm, on Sep 23 2004, 07:45 AM, said:

Nick, on Sep 21 2004, 10:10 PM, said:

Over 600 have been killed in Haiti. :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well as of last night, the total was up to 2000 and still looking for 1000 additional people according to the Weather Channel.

What I can't get is the fact that Haiti is mostly mountainous terrain, so why don't they literally run for the hills?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The mountains are the poblem. Those people have chopped down moost of the trees to make charcoal to cook with, so any severe storm causes severe flooding and mudslides. The Dominican Republic, at the other end of the same island always has much lower fatality rates because they have more trees. Earlier this year, 3000+ were killed in Haiti in an unnamed storm.

'shana

#30 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 10:47 PM

^Exactly.  Deforestation is a huge problem in Haiti.  A few years ago, nearly 2000 were killed by a powerful thunderstorm.  Their forests have been almost completely wiped out, so there's no vegetation to absorb all that water, and the mountains just funnel it all down creating a deadly mess of rushing waters all over the place.

Also, the country's infrastructure is in shambles, so many more people are still dying from the after effects.  There's inadequate healthcare, and people are getting very very sick over there from sanitation issues.  They can't even dispose of the bodies.  Not to mention the lack of food, safe water . . . saying it's really bad over there is a huge understatement.

-Nick

#31 shambalayogi

shambalayogi

Fan of Many Things

• Islander
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 11:38 AM

Is this hurricane season to remind us--humans that is!--aren't as on top of things as we like to think we are??  I've also wondered how many Floridians and Southerners in general wonder if God is trying to tell them something??

I don't believe for one minute that these storms are sent from TPTB in the universe to punish anyone but some people do think like this.

I hope Jeanne can lose some strength and not cause so much grief as the other storms have.   {{{{{southeasterners & Texans}}}}}}

Do people just wait until after hurricane season to start rebuilding???

I've noticed one of the names on the hurricane schedule is mine but spelled differently.

Edited by shambalayogi, 24 September 2004 - 11:40 AM.

Shamba,
I Trust SNAPE!  so .. he better be loyal!
I Knew Where NZ was before LOTR!
Frodo Lives! Long Live the King!
It may not be a time of myth and legend, but it's
definitely a time for heroes and heroines!
Shambalayogi's Retreat
Tulsa Trek Expo
Comic Con In 2008
Learn About Peak Oil

#32 Ogami

Ogami
  • Islander
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 05:17 PM

You've got to hand it to the Kerry supporters.

I was driving home today, and with evacuations impending in all surrounding counties, the Kerry supporters were standing at the traffic intersection with homemade signs. "Florida is Kerry Country" said one.

It's a quieting thought to realize that the hurricane headed straight for your home has already killed 1,100 people in Haiti. That's a lot of people. And sure, we here in Florida have superior building codes, better infrastructure, evacuation routes, and other support. But in the end it's just you and the storm, anything could happen.

At least this hurricane will arrive at the break of dawn on Sunday, we'll be able to see it coming. I can hardly wait, although I will miss having power. I like electricity. (It's hard playing Diablo II without it.)

Hope everyone stays safe,

-Ogami

Edited by Ogami, 24 September 2004 - 05:18 PM.

#33 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 07:34 PM

Well, Hurricane Jeanne is all but certain to hit South to Central Florida this weekend.  That includes me. I'm pinning this thread to make it easy for all to post updates and read them.

I also will be checking in as best as I'm able.  Current projections have the storm hitting Sunday morning . . . but as with all things weather related--things can change.

Above all, everyone in the afffected areas please be safe.  This storm is a killer, and it could be just as bad as Ivan. (which, from my family's description it sounded like it had all the power of Hurricane Charley, but the slow-moving flooding and size of Hurrican Frances . . . worst of both worlds).

To quote a fellow Floridian's blog I read somewhere: "I'm about ready to jump off one of the newly eroded sea cliffs!"

Be careful, Be safe & best wishes to all.

-Nick

Edited by Nick, 25 September 2004 - 08:04 AM.

#34 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,421 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 10:44 PM

It is now supposed to fly over my house sometime late Monday in a "weakened" state, but if it's the same weakness as Frances, I might lose power.  This one has had so many twists and turns that I'll believe it has hit SC when I see the rain and wind with my own eyes.

Be safe Nick and all others in the path.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#35 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 25 September 2004 - 04:05 PM

The track has shifted somewhat to the west, cutting across the Tampa area potentially.  Although, Orlando is still going to be experiencing hurricane force winds from the northeast quadrant (one of the especially bad points . . . :unsure:)

-Nick

#36 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 25 September 2004 - 11:40 PM

This was posted about 20 minutes ago...

Jeanne is hammering Florida's east coast. There have been reports of wind gusts of 95 to as high as 125 mph being reported now in St. Lucie and Indian River Counties in Florida with some major structural damage to buildings. Blinding rain continues to fall as Jeanne moves ashore. Localized flooding will likely occur as those rain bands swirl inland. This major hurricane has come ashore between Palm Beach and Vero Beach with a powerful force. Residents should continue to hunker down as this very serious hurricane swirls along.

Jeanne remains a huge concern now as it moves inland and moves through the Florida Peninsula overnight into Sunday morning. The threat for damaging winds, flooding rains, and power outages will continue along the track of Jeanne.

I hope every one is staying safe!
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#37 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,421 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 09:15 PM

So it looks like Nick's and Ogami's towns were hit very hard.  If either of you guys gets to the working internet, let us know that you are safe.

I get the heavy rains tomorrow.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#38 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 08:02 AM

Hey all, I'm checking in from school right now.  I was fine during the hurricane, and miraculously, never lost power!  I actually wound up staying with friends during the storm--same as last time--but they lost internet access as well so I've been unable to post.

Anyway, things are pretty good, not too many trees down in the area (the last two basically knocked over everything that was gunna fall anyway.)  I have power, I have water, just no cable or cable modem at home (again. :glare:).

I've got some big tests to contend with today, so I'll be busy, but just wanted to drop an "I'm okay" line. :)

-Nick

#39 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 03:10 PM

^ Thank you for letting us know!

'shana

Edited by Shoshana, 29 September 2004 - 03:10 PM.

#40 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 09:29 PM

Sorta kinda welcome back, Nick. :D

Hopefully Jeanne was really it for the season.  :wacko:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Natural disasters, Hurricane Jeanne, 2004

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users