• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 08:44 AM

I feel like LotS; I feel outrage coming on.

Because of this.

Some people are so caught up in their politics of hatred that they think nothing of causing emotional distress to a three-year-old girl. :angry:

Edited by Drew, 17 September 2004 - 08:44 AM.

"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#2 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 08:49 AM

i'm going to agree unreservedly. It's one thing to support a side in anything with enthusiasm and energy, but that just really annoys the heck out of me.

:grr:

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#3 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 08:55 AM

Well the place is not a good one for a three yr old anyway. Reguardless of party the situation was not a good one to bring a young child to.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#4 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,157 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 09:00 AM

Bad enough, but no where near as bad as having a Gold Star mother arrested, for asking Laura Bush why so few politions have there Children in Iraq, as happened yesterday.
Can't Touch This!!

#5 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 09:02 AM

Kosh, on Sep 17 2004, 03:00 PM, said:

Bad enough, but no where near as bad as having a Gold Star mother arrested, for asking Laura Bush why so few politions have there Children in Iraq, as happened yesterday.
  :eek4:

Do you have a link please?

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#6 Chipper

Chipper

Give it up

• Islander
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 09:04 AM

Drew -- I agree completely.

Kosh -- I'd like to see a link to that, too.  OY.
"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?"

- Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#7 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 09:13 AM

G1223, on Sep 17 2004, 08:55 AM, said:

Reguardless of party the situation was not a good one to bring a young child to.
A political rally? Why not? There were plenty of kids at the President's appearance here; including our nine-month-old.

If you mean that you shouldn't bring children to an appearance by the opposition party candidates, I guess I just expect more civilized behavior even from people.

At least, I used to. I don't anymore.
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#8 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 09:17 AM

I find myself in total agreement with you Drew.

having said that, I wonder what the point was of having a 3 year old there. it's not as if, at the age of three, one cares who is or isn't president, or that one can exert any meaningfull influence whatsoever.

It's something i've never understood about rallies and protests.

Defy Gravity!

#9 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 09:19 AM

Sorry going to a opposition party I would not bring my kids as I might have someone arrest me for speaking out or striking me. I never assume folks are civilized till they prove they are.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#10 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 09:28 AM

I was upset, too.  But strangely, this has allegedly happened to the guy for the last three elections in a row.  

http://atrios.blogsp...542699935507535

Charleston (WV) Daily Mail, August 27, 1996, Page 3C

Phil Parlock's experience was less calm.

The Huntington man said he was knocked to the ground by a Clinton supporter when he tried to display a sign that read "Remember Vince Foster," the deputy White House counsel who committed suicide in a Washington, D.C., park. His death has become the subject of much debate among Clinton opponents.

"It must have been a strict Democrat who did this," Parlock said, feeling the red abrasions on his face. "Everyone with the exception of him was real peaceful about our protest."

Parlock said some of the crowd tried to make other anti-Clinton demonstrators feel unwelcome. He estimated that about 150 Dole supporters attended the rally, but their signs couldn't be seen for most of the rally.

Charleston (WV) Daily Mail, October 28, 2000, pg. 1A:  

Phil Parlock didn't expect to need all 12 of the Bush-Cheney signs he and his son Louis smuggled in their socks and pockets into the rally for Vice President Al Gore.

But each time they raised a sign, someone would grab it out of their hands, the two Huntington residents said. And sometimes it got physical.

"I expected some people to take our signs," said Louis, 12. "But I did not expect people to practically attack us."

The two said they didn't go to the Friday morning rally to start trouble.

"I came to support Bush and try to change some people's minds," Louis said.

What are the odds?  Read the post for a couple of other odd coincidences...
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#11 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 09:35 AM

Okay. So it's all right to make a three-year-old girl cry then. Thanks for setting me straight.

#12 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,551 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 09:39 AM

I agree with G. on this.  Its not the place for a kid.  Sorry, but for one, the kid who holds no interest is going to get restless and start aggrevating other people there (at the convention, not the protest...duh).  At a protest or in a protesting zone, well then your just being irresponsible as a parent.  You are putting your kid in harms way that isn't necessary.  I agree with G., Drew and Cyberhippie on the civilzed aspect.  People are so unpredictable that now-days a single word uttered wrongly could spark a furry across a crowd.

The first thing I thought of though when I saw the picture and read the caption, "What ever happened to 'Don't Tread On Me'? and freedom to protest (on both sides without controversy)?" :( sad...
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

#13 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Retired Board Owner
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 09:39 AM

^^ That's not what Zack said Drew. Making such remarks do not help you to make your point. It becomes a battle instead. Perhaps a better remark would have been something like (which I am now asking Zack myself). "Does the fact that this man has done similar things at other rallys justifyhow he was treated? Did his daughter deserve the treatment?"

#14 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 09:42 AM

I never thought I'd see MZ attempting to prove how consistently liberal protesters act like a bunch of thugs... :rolleyes:

Edited by Delvo, 17 September 2004 - 09:52 AM.

#15 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Retired Board Owner
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 09:46 AM

FnlPrblm, on Sep 17 2004, 06:39 AM, said:

I agree with G. on this.  Its not the place for a kid.  Sorry, but for one, the kid who holds no interest is going to get restless and start aggrevating other people there (at the convention, not the protest...duh).  At a protest or in a protesting zone, well then your just being irresponsible as a parent.  You are putting your kid in harms way that isn't necessary.  I agree with G., Drew and Cyberhippie on the civilzed aspect.  People are so unpredictable that now-days a single word uttered wrongly could spark a furry across a crowd.

The first thing I thought of though when I saw the picture and read the caption, "What ever happened to 'Don't Tread On Me'? and freedom to protest (on both sides without controversy)?" :( sad...
This is true. So I agree with G on this. But it was done, do we now let the people who did it off the hook? Personally I think everyone involved was guilty (except the little girl, what does she know about such things?).The little girl was a victum here twice: Once by her father for taking her and then by the Kerry supporters who did the actual deed.

All my opinion of course.

#16 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 09:47 AM

Lover of Purple, on Sep 17 2004, 09:39 AM, said:

^^ That's not what Zack said Drew.
I don't really give a rodent's hindquarters what Zack says anymore. Bring on the ignore feature.

#17 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 09:48 AM

G1223, on Sep 17 2004, 08:55 AM, said:

Well the place is not a good one for a three yr old anyway. Reguardless of party the situation was not a good one to bring a young child to.
I agree with Drew that it was horrible that those idiots traumatized this child, but I'm also in agreement with G1223.

Given how heated people can get over political views, I simply don't think bringing children to political rallies is a good idea.

:eh:

Edited by Digital Man, 17 September 2004 - 09:49 AM.

Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#18 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Retired Board Owner
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 09:52 AM

Oops

Edited by Lover of Purple, 17 September 2004 - 10:24 AM.

#19 gadfly

gadfly

Romantic Progressive

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 10:00 AM

The Yahoo caption:

Three-year-old Sophia Parlock cries while seated on the shoulders of her father, Phil Parlock, after having their Bush-Cheney sign torn up by Kerry-Edwards supporters on Thursday, Sept. 16, 2004, at the Tri-State Airport in Huntington, W.Va. Democratic vice presidential candidate John Edwards (news - web sites) made a brief stop at the airport as he concluded his two-day bus tour to locations in West Virginia and Ohio. (AP Photo/Randy Snyder)

So let me see if I understand what's happened: This adult male took his 3 year old to the opposition's rally so that "they" could protest or display their support for the opposition and he didn't expect any trouble?  :suspect:   That's a bit different from taking your children to a rally of the party you support don't you think?  I still wouldn't do it but it's a personal issue I suppose.  My severly cynical side thinks that the guy thought his precious, and she looks darling, beautiful 3 year old child would serve as a shield by making others think twice from stopping him and he, unfortunately for his poor daughter, was wrong.  It does not make what happened to the child right but I think her father could have shown a little better judgement in my opinion.

#20 GoldenCoal

GoldenCoal

Not Fool's Gold

• Islander
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 10:06 AM

People get emotional about stuff. Anti-war protestors getting into fist-fights with pro-war demonstrators. People vandalize people's property because they don't agree with what signs are on them.
   I'm not saying that it was right for it to happen, on the contrary, I think it's awful. Being so emotional that your first instinct is to start resolving issues physically is, well, how terrorists think. Obviously, you need a lot more self-righteousness and fewer morals for it to go that far, but it is similar thinking.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Politics-American

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users