• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#41 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Retired Board Owner
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 11:46 AM

This has gotten silly. Both of you, Drew and Zack, have been acting like this stuff is all personal. Most of it is just politics, let's both of you stop the jabs at each other. If you want to ignore each other, fine. Then stop responding to each other.

And LOL at gaius claudius and Meepski, but CyberHippie is mine. :D :D :D

And CH, I hope you know I'm joking. :eek:

Edited by Lover of Purple, 17 September 2004 - 12:06 PM.

#42 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 11:47 AM

Handmaiden07, on Sep 17 2004, 09:36 AM, said:

Delvo, on Sep 17 2004, 11:17 AM, said:

If a 3-year-old is holding a sign like that and you grab it and pull, what would you expect to happen? I'd expect the whole thing to come right out of her hands; it would take quite a grip from those little hands to hold on to part of it while you're pulling that hard.
I'm sorry - what's the point here?  I agree with you (if you are saying this) that it seems likely that the sequence of events is that the sign was snatched, and then torn up, but I'm not clear on why that's important.

HM07
It makes the photograph itself look fake, because if it was pulled out of her hands then she wouldn't be holding (part of) it, and what we're supposed to think happened is that the guy pulled on it and thus it tore with some of it still in her hands, which isn't very believable. Even if you could buy it with ordinary paper, those signs are extra thick and polished slick.

#43 gaius claudius

gaius claudius

I'm bringing the sexy back!!

• Islander
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 11:56 AM

Lover of Purple, on Sep 17 2004, 12:46 PM, said:

And LOL at gaius claudius and Meepski, but CyberHippie is mine. :D :D :D
  At the rate this is going...I'll be stuck with Ogami

He'll eat me alive :eh:  :Oo:  :pout:

gc    :devil:
I seek the truth...it is only persistence in self-delusion and ignorance that does harm.
- Marcus Aurelius

King Mob 42

#44 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,654 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 12:04 PM

I think there is a middle ground between assuming that the father staged the whole thing and that he is a quietly peaceful protester who is constantly abused by evil union Democrats.  Now, this is where I come from, and the union guys aren't known for their pacifistic tendencies.  However, I would imagine that at the very least, "fighting words" were hurled at them by Mr. Parland, and few West Virginia guys can resist responding to "fighting words." (It's kind of like the OT, only in the flesh.  :devil: )

I'd be interested to look at the coverage being given to this incident by the Charleston Gazette.  The Daily Mail is strongly Republican in its editorial policy, the Gazette a huge union supporter.  I wouldn't expect either to be dispassionate, but I'd just like to see the Gazette's spin.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#45 Meepski

Meepski
  • Islander
  • 166 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 12:06 PM

gaius claudius, on Sep 17 2004, 12:42 PM, said:

back off buddy...I signed up for Cyberhippie weeks ago... :devil:
Man, I hate being the new guy!  All the good grudges are taken.  I'll probably get stuck with Rov and you'll never see me again. :o
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great struggle. -- Philo of Alexandria

#46 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,157 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 12:07 PM

Delvo, on Sep 17 2004, 11:47 AM, said:

Handmaiden07, on Sep 17 2004, 09:36 AM, said:

Delvo, on Sep 17 2004, 11:17 AM, said:

If a 3-year-old is holding a sign like that and you grab it and pull, what would you expect to happen? I'd expect the whole thing to come right out of her hands; it would take quite a grip from those little hands to hold on to part of it while you're pulling that hard.
I'm sorry - what's the point here?  I agree with you (if you are saying this) that it seems likely that the sequence of events is that the sign was snatched, and then torn up, but I'm not clear on why that's important.

HM07
It makes the photograph itself look fake, because if it was pulled out of her hands then she wouldn't be holding (part of) it, and what we're supposed to think happened is that the guy pulled on it and thus it tore with some of it still in her hands, which isn't very believable. Even if you could buy it with ordinary paper, those signs are extra thick and polished slick.
Her Dad was on the radio here this morning. He had given her back the piece of sign.

hil Parlock's experience was less calm.

The Huntington man said he was knocked to the ground by a Clinton supporter when he tried to display a sign that read "Remember Vince Foster," the deputy White House counsel who committed suicide in a Washington, D.C., park. His death has become the subject of much debate among Clinton opponents...

I remember this one, though I didn't realize it was the same people.

Don't recall the other one. I wish I had listened to the rest of Hoppy's program this morning, to see if the past event were mentioned.

The thing about the Goldsatr mother was on TV. I'll see if I can find a web page on it.
Can't Touch This!!

#47 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 12:09 PM

Meepski, on Sep 17 2004, 06:06 PM, said:

gaius claudius, on Sep 17 2004, 12:42 PM, said:

back off buddy...I signed up for Cyberhippie weeks ago... :devil:
Man, I hate being the new guy!  All the good grudges are taken.  I'll probably get stuck with Rov and you'll never see me again. :o
  :lol:

Well, i'm a multitasking sort of guy, LoP, GC and Meepski, I'll take on all your grudges

:p

bring it on :D

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#48 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,654 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 12:14 PM

Rats, you guys get all the good grudges.  We gals may have to resort to catfights.  :devil:

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#49 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,360 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 12:18 PM

^^I'm pretty good in a catfight... hiss!

HM07

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#50 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,157 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 12:19 PM

http://www.nj.com/ne...08497246220.xml
Can't Touch This!!

#51 Chipper

Chipper

Give it up

• Islander
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 12:22 PM

*trying to lighten the mood here, nothing more*

You know, I think Drew and Zack are just fighting because one of them was born before the other...they each want the power.... :p
"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?"

- Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#52 GoldenCoal

GoldenCoal

Not Fool's Gold

• Islander
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 12:23 PM

Wait! We can get grudges, too?  :eek2: . Who's left? I don't really care who I get, It's been so long since I've had a really good grudge against anyone. Everyone is so nice now that I'm in college, no bullies calling you names, no one sending spiteful notes to me... I miss those days  :( .

#53 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Retired Board Owner
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 12:27 PM

^^Thanks Kosh!

And ladies, I would rather be in a grudge then mix it up with either of you in a cat fight. :eek: :eek::eek2:

#54 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 12:48 PM

oops, mispost

Edited by Cyberhippie, 17 September 2004 - 12:49 PM.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#55 Broph

Broph
  • Islander
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 12:51 PM

Lover of Purple, on Sep 17 2004, 05:27 PM, said:

And ladies, I would rather be in a grudge then mix it up with either of you in a cat fight. :eek: :eek::eek2:
Always love a good catfight - there's always that chance that they'll just sort of lean in and, well, kiss.

It's just too exciting to miss.

#56 prolog

prolog

The Merry Programmer

• Islander
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 12:55 PM

Meepski, on Sep 17 2004, 04:38 PM, said:

Hey, I want a personal grudge too!  How does that work -- are they assigned by the staff or can I just pick one out?  Is there a waiting list for CyberHippie?  That mean SOB seems like he'd be a fun one! :lol:
I call Ogami!  Not that I really need to... ;)

#57 prolog

prolog

The Merry Programmer

• Islander
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 12:57 PM

So she had a ticket to the event, and was still arrested?  Interesting, Kosh.  Thanks for the link.

#58 GoldenCoal

GoldenCoal

Not Fool's Gold

• Islander
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 01:14 PM

Oops, a little side-tracked. Oh well, didn't hurt anything:

[Serious]
  This election is just too emotion-driven. I mean, we here at this board have been slinging awful stuff at each other here at the OT. Can we really be surprised that people have been tearing down signs and getting arrested for going into a rally as an opposition? We've been tearing at each others digital throats and then express surprise when this stuff happens. When we start to take these things personal, that's when little girls start crying and a woman gets arrested for tresspassing at an event that she had a ticket to.

These issues may be important to you, but they aren't you. In my experience, a little detachment goes a long way.
[/Serious]

So, who wants to be my grudge-mate?

Edited by GoldenCoal, 17 September 2004 - 01:14 PM.

#59 gaius claudius

gaius claudius

I'm bringing the sexy back!!

• Islander
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 01:14 PM

prolog, on Sep 17 2004, 01:57 PM, said:

So she had a ticket to the event, and was still arrested?  Interesting, Kosh.  Thanks for the link.
The incident was also covered in today's online CNN

gc   :devil:
I seek the truth...it is only persistence in self-delusion and ignorance that does harm.
- Marcus Aurelius

King Mob 42

#60 LaughingVulcan

LaughingVulcan

Still the property of the PPD

• Islander
  • 3,448 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 10:44 PM

Let's see....  If I went two years ago into a room full of rattlesnakes, and got bit, and the next year take my older nephew into the room to show him how it's done and get bit, and then the next year I take my [onetime] three year old nephew into a room of rattlesnakes, should I expect sympathy for he or myself when a snakebite occurs?  Or would I expect people to think I'm really stupid for being in a roomful of rattlesnakes in the first place?

"Well, let's see here... I know darn well that they'll try to tear up my signs, so I'll put more of 'em in my pants..."  So he not only knew what would happen, but he put more rattlesnake attractant in his pants.

Don't mistake me, I do feel sorry for the little girl, for having a fundamentally stupid parent.  If he had shown his signs with his daughter at a Kerry/Edwards rally, where he belonged apparently, he wouldn't be a news item right now.  Though if he were there he'd probably have been carrying a Bush/Cheney sign and treated the same way.  Is mob rule right or pretty?  Heck. no.  But if you know it exists, going straight into it makes very little sense, and comes close to downright recklessness to take someone you're responsible for who can't defend herself.

-LV

Edited by LaughingVulcan, 17 September 2004 - 10:45 PM.

Nikki's Loving LV.  Property of the PPD.  Aka "Mr. Peppermint"
The Vulcan-Pixie alliance is strong.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Politics-American

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users