13 replies to this topic

#1 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 01:27 AM

http://www.nytimes.c...print&position=

After days of expressing confidence about the documents used in a "60 Minutes'' report that raised new questions about President Bush's National Guard service, CBS News officials have grave doubts about the authenticity of the material, network officials said last night.

Now, this suffers from the usual "anonymous sources can be full of crap" caveats. There's also this later in the article:

But they cautioned that CBS News could still pull back from an announcement. Officials met last night with Dan Rather, the anchor who presented the report, to go over the information it had collected about the documents one last time before making a final decision. Mr. Rather was not available for comment late last night.

I look forward to this story being over; it's been an agonizing ten days, unless your interests include 70's typography. It's also deeply ironic that the entire incident is probably going to have the unintended consequence of inoculating Bush against further "National Guard" attacks in what little time remains until the next election. But the most important part is the new methods of information distribution. I assume that the forgeries would have been outed anyway, even without the blogosphere. I find it nothing less than astonishing, however, that it took a bunch of pajama-wearing bloggers three hours to do more research than a major network.

I'm also hoping we find out where these documents came from.

Bill Burkett seems to be the frontrunner. Another candidate has been MoveOn.org. McAuliffe insinuated that they originated from Karl Rove. Burkett seems to be the most logical source, however..
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#2 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 02:11 AM

CBS is going to probably pin it on someone and go "Look! He tricked us! Tricksee! Nevermind we didn't properly authenticate it, have an axe to grind, and went with bogus materials anyway, he trickseed us!"

#3 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 02:52 AM

Oh, and forgot to mention:

Among the left, kudos to Kevin Drum at Political Animal for playing it straight, looking beyond what he WANTED to be true, and realizing the memoes were fake. Demerits to Daily Kos and Atrios for strawmanning the arguments of Powerline et al; in Atrios's case, he linked to a blog entry on about what nonsense the forgery case is today. I believe Josh Marshall was also upfront, but I'm not sure. Kevin Drum, though, remains one of the most reasonable voices in American liberalism today. He deserves much more attention than he gets in the blogosphere.

Edited by Hotspur Rovinski, 20 September 2004 - 02:55 AM.

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. § 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#4 GoldenCoal

GoldenCoal

Not Fool's Gold

• Islander
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 09:41 AM

D'Monix, on Sep 20 2004, 02:11 AM, said:

CBS is going to probably pin it on someone and go "Look! He tricked us! Tricksee! Nevermind we didn't properly authenticate it, have an axe to grind, and went with bogus materials anyway, he trickseed us!"
    That reminds me of something a politics proffesor at my school who studied media coverage of scandals once said: The media isn't liberal or conservative, just lazy.

#5 prolog

prolog

The Merry Programmer

• Islander
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 09:44 AM

Hotspur Rovinski, on Sep 20 2004, 06:27 AM, said:

Bill Burkett seems to be the frontrunner. Another candidate has been MoveOn.org. McAuliffe insinuated that they originated from Karl Rove. Burkett seems to be the most logical source, however..
I'm not as familiar with U.S. politics as I'd like to be.  Who's Burkett?

#6 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 09:47 AM

prolog, on Sep 20 2004, 07:44 AM, said:

Hotspur Rovinski, on Sep 20 2004, 06:27 AM, said:

I'm not as familiar with U.S. politics as I'd like to be.  Who's Burkett?
He's only a political figure because of the Texas Air National Guard. Kevin Drum has the goods:

http://www.washingto...4_09/004696.php

#7 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 09:53 AM

The truth is they are losing ratings. So to get folks back they will make such comments as to get folks back just like CNN did with it's "We worked for Saddam but to save lives."

This is a bunch of guys having been caught in a lie trying to wiggle out of getting hurt anymore for the agenda of those who are out to get Bush by any means.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#8 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 11:13 AM

Rather, via Drudge:

EXCLUSIVE // Mon Sep 20 2004 11:58:02 ET
STATEMENT FROM DAN RATHER:

Last week, amid increasing questions about the authenticity of documents used in support of a 60 MINUTES WEDNESDAY story about President Bush's time in the Texas Air National Guard, CBS News vowed to re-examine the documents in question—and their source—vigorously. And we promised that we would let the American public know what this examination turned up, whatever the outcome.

Now, after extensive additional interviews, I no longer have the confidence in these documents that would allow us to continue vouching for them journalistically. I find we have been misled on the key question of how our source for the documents came into possession of these papers. That, combined with some of the questions that have been raised in public and in the press, leads me to a point where—if I knew then what I know now—I would not have gone ahead with the story as it was aired, and I certainly would not have used the documents in question.

But we did use the documents. We made a mistake in judgment, and for that I am sorry. It was an error that was made, however, in good faith and in the spirit of trying to carry on a CBS News tradition of investigative reporting without fear or favoritism.

Please know that nothing is more important to us than people's trust in our ability and our commitment to report fairly and truthfully.

If a source lies to you, you burn him. Come on Rather. Who was it?

#9 Kimmer

Kimmer
  • Islander
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 01:00 PM

in the spirit of trying to carry on a CBS News tradition of investigative reporting without fear or favoritism.

Excuse me?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

INVESTIGATIVE reporting means you INVESTIGATE prior to spilling the news.

Mr. Rather needs to burn his source - publicly; and I honestly think he needs to resign. CBS news is now lower than low on my believability scale.

#10 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 02:05 PM

Yup.

Time to reveal the source, Mr. Rather.

Not doing so only arouses further questions as to who it was now that CBS has now admitted, however weakly, that the memos were fake even though they had been warned about the possibility before the story even aired.

Whomever did it is trying to influence a national election using forged documents, so their identity should be revealed and action taken against them.

By not revealing it and hemming and hawing about the source like CBS and Rather is doing - well that makes me wonder what they have to hide, who they are protecting, and how high up this goes.

#11 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 02:12 PM

Purhaps it's Dan himself.

Basically Columbia BullSh*tting Systems is being shown as part of the get Bush by any means crowd.  It is why you never trust a reporter they never tell the truth and usually are to make a rep for themselves.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#12 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 02:13 PM

Via Drum, CBS has acknowledged the source is Burkett:

http://www.cbsnews.c...ain644539.shtml

(CBS) Below is the text of the CBS News statement on its use of documents purportedly written by President Bush's National Guard commander:

Bill Burkett, in a weekend interview with CBS News Anchor and Correspondent Dan Rather, has acknowledged that he provided the now-disputed documents used in the Sept. 8 "60 Minutes Wednesday" report on President Bush’s service in the Texas Air National Guard.

Burkett, a retired National Guard lieutenant colonel, also admits that he deliberately misled the CBS News producer working on the report, giving her a false account of the documents’ origins to protect a promise of confidentiality to the actual source.

Burkett originally said he obtained the documents from another former Guardsman. Now he says he got them from a different source whose connection to the documents and identity CBS News has been unable to verify to this point. Burkett’s interview will be featured in a full report on tonight’s CBS Evening News with Dan Rather (6:30-7:00 p.m., ET/PT).

#13 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 04:27 PM

Nothing surprising, since outside sources had already tracked the faxes back to Abeline and pinpointed Burkett as the likely suspect.

#14 StarDust

StarDust
  • Islander
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 05:15 PM

Hotspur Rovinski, on Sep 20 2004, 02:27 AM, said:

But the most important part is the new methods of information distribution. I assume that the forgeries would have been outed anyway, even without the blogosphere. I find it nothing less than astonishing, however, that it took a bunch of pajama-wearing bloggers three hours to do more research than a major network.
what an image :lol:

That is what the gist of the coverage on the more technical sites has been.  How the internet has changed the whole view of things.  People no longer have to rely on the major media, on what they decide to tell us, or that it must be true.  Regular people, and real experts, have immediate access to each other and to discuss any material presented, and the whole world gets to watch.

Kind of makes it much more democratic and honest than the "4th estate" ever did.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Media, CBS, 60 minutes deception, 2004, Dan Rather

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users