Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Mount St. Helens may see a small explosion soon..

Natural Disasters Mr. St. Helens 2004

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 12:43 AM

St. Helens Activity May Signal Explosion

SEATTLE - SEATTLE - A strengthening series of earthquakes at Mount St. Helens prompted seismologists Sunday to warn that the once-devastating volcano may see a small explosion soon.

The U.S. Geological Survey (news - web sites) issued a notice of volcanic unrest in response to the swarm of hundreds of earthquakes that began Thursday.

"The key issue is a small explosion without warning. That would be the major event that we're worried about right now," said Willie Scott, a geologist with the USGS (news - web sites) office in Vancouver.

:Oo:

#2 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 12:57 AM

After two days with no sleep, I have this all figured out.

It's an evil Republican conspiracy with God. I'm not saying I'm suspicious of the natural disasters themselves; it's just that I'm suspicious of the timing. Let's put together a few pieces:

FACT: Karl Rove is known for pulling 'dirty tricks'.
FACT: These so-called 'natural disasters' just HAPPEN to be occurring when an election is a few weeks away, and Bush wants attention diverted away from the Kerry campaign.
FACT: Florida and Washington are swing states, according to http://www.electoral-vote.com
FACT: These natural disasters destroy infrastructure and roads... including the roads leading to polling places
FACT: Evil conservatives with SUVs will still be able to get to polling places, despite the lack of roads.
FACT:  Due to GEORGE BUSH slashing social security and forcing senior citizens to choose between eating cat food or getting Tylenol to treat their various cancers, most senior citizens have had to sell their cars to Halliburton for pennies on the dollar. Halliburton then turns around and uses those cars to run over the poor... a loyal democratic constituency..
FACT: Further, the aforementioned senior citizens will be unable to get to polling places because the routes will be impassible because they don't have a car.
CONCLUSION: These so-called 'natural disasters' are just a conservative ploy to suppress the democratic vote. Last year, right-wing thugs suppressed two hundred million votes in Florida alone. Will we let this happen again?

If you love America, write to George Bush at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington DC and ask him why he hates democracy.

Edited by Hotspur Rovinski, 27 September 2004 - 12:58 AM.

St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#3 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 01:11 AM

Go to bed, Rov. :p  :crazy:

Now, for Mount Saint Helens... I'm all for that lovely peak rebuilding a bit more. ;)  I think they're close to being done with their major tourist season in the monument, so if something *does* happen, then the USGS and the local officials should be able to respond fairly well. ;)
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#4 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 01:18 AM

Agreed, Rov - Go to bed. Sleep....while I laugh hysterically.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#5 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 01:28 AM

I've had the incredible good fortune to have been close enough to flowing lava to feel it's heat on my skin, (which is something i'd reccomend to anyone who wants a cheap thrill) but also in a location where I was in no danger whatsoever.

so while i'm laughing my rear end off over Rov's comments, i hope nothing serious happens at St.Helens.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#6 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 8,066 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 08:05 AM

So Rov, what about the other swing states on that map? :p ;) Granted, Washington and Florida are the only ones where Kerry has a 1 point lead according to the Map you've given. There are three states where it is supposively exactly tied (Minesota, New Hampshire and Maryland). for other ones barely Kerry there is Michigan and Pensylvannia. I supppose Maryland and Pensylvannia are too close to Washington for someone to wish distaster on them?

Edited by sierraleone, 27 September 2004 - 08:05 AM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#7 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,095 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 08:31 AM

Shoshana, on Sep 27 2004, 01:43 AM, said:

St. Helens Activity May Signal Explosion

SEATTLE - SEATTLE - A strengthening series of earthquakes at Mount St. Helens prompted seismologists Sunday to warn that the once-devastating volcano may see a small explosion soon.

The U.S. Geological Survey (news - web sites) issued a notice of volcanic unrest in response to the swarm of hundreds of earthquakes that began Thursday.

"The key issue is a small explosion without warning. That would be the major event that we're worried about right now," said Willie Scott, a geologist with the USGS (news - web sites) office in Vancouver.

:Oo:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, I needed that.

Can't Touch This!!

#8 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,135 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 10:50 AM

Not to worry, Rov.  Since we lefties also believe in carpooling, we'll get the geezers to the polls.   ;)

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#9 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,462 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 01:06 AM

Gah. My sister lives in that area of Washington and has been feeling those swarms of small earthquakes. :crazy:

Rov!

It's an evil Republican conspiracy with God.

:lol:
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#10 ArmourMe

ArmourMe
  • Islander
  • 500 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 02:02 PM

Hmmm, maybe we Washingtonians have been making too many bad Florida jokes??

This sure explains why I want to hide in a hole, though - earthquakes always oppress me with a sense of doooooooom!

#11 GenesisII

GenesisII

• Islander
  • 600 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 03:58 PM

No worry. It's not suppose to be a huge eruption like 1980. It will be more within the crater. A little excitement in the volcanic front.  :cool:

#12 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 10:04 PM

^
Yeah, I'm guessing it'd be a domebuilder eruption or something along those lines.  ;)  It'll freak people out and the USGS will be all over the area for months or something, but relatively small scale when you consider what it's capable of.  :eek:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Natural Disasters, Mr. St. Helens, 2004

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users