#1 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 07:10 AM

Carter fears Florida vote trouble

Carter has monitored more than 50 elections worldwide

Voting arrangements in Florida do not meet "basic international requirements" and could undermine the US election, former US President Jimmy Carter says.
He said a repeat of the irregularities of the much-disputed 2000 election - which gave President George W Bush the narrowest of wins - "seems likely".

Mr Carter, a veteran observer of polls worldwide, also accused Florida's top election official of "bias".

His remarks come ahead of the first TV debate between Mr Bush and John Kerry.

They are expected to discuss the war on Iraq and homeland security during the programme on Thursday.

Recent opinion polls give Mr Bush a lead over Mr Kerry of between 3% and 9%.

In an article in the Washington Post newspaper, Mr Carter, a Democrat, wrote that reforms - agreed after the last vote in Florida had been marred by counting problems - had not yet been implemented.

It is unconscionable to perpetuate fraudulent or biased electoral practices in any nation

Jimmy Carter

Shaky confidence in Florida vote 
He accused Florida Secretary of State Glenda Hood, a Republican, of trying to get the name of independent presidential candidate Ralph Nader included on the state ballot, knowing he might divert Democrat votes.

"A fumbling attempt has been made recently to disqualify 22,000 African Americans (likely Democrats), but only 61 Hispanics (likely Republicans), as alleged felons."

Mr Carter said Florida Governor Jeb Bush - brother of the president - had "taken no steps to correct these departures from principles of fair and equal treatment or to prevent them in the future".

"It is unconscionable to perpetuate fraudulent or biased electoral practices in any nation," he added.

"With reforms unlikely at this late stage of the election, perhaps the only recourse will be to focus maximum public scrutiny on the suspicious process in Florida."
  :whatsthat:

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#2 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,226 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 07:56 AM

Please, not again...  :hmmm:  :bemused:
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#3 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 10:43 AM

Steven_Q, on Sep 27 2004, 12:10 PM, said:

Carter fears Florida vote trouble

Carter has monitored more than 50 elections worldwide

Voting arrangements in Florida do not meet "basic international requirements" and could undermine the US election, former US President Jimmy Carter says.
He said a repeat of the irregularities of the much-disputed 2000 election - which gave President George W Bush the narrowest of wins - "seems likely".

Mr Carter, a veteran observer of polls worldwide, also accused Florida's top election official of "bias".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The man has cred.  

Nonny

Okay, what did I do to my quote box THIS TIME? editing....

Edited by Nonny, 27 September 2004 - 10:44 AM.

Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#4 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 11:13 AM

Nonny: The man has cred. 
Yeah and NK doesn't have nuclear weapons because of him.... :lol:
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#5 Kimmer

Kimmer
  • Islander
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 11:26 AM

How does Carter know this? Is he living in this state and down at the elections offices on a daily basis? I find it irresponsible that he is stirring up dirty water this early. If there truly are problems, then he needs to talk with the Florida elections officials - not start skewing the election before it's taken place.

#6 Number_6

Number_6

Drunken Professor

• Islander
  • 125 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 11:31 AM

Poor Jimmy.  He has nothing better to do now that the lust in his heart has lost its fire.

#7 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 11:46 AM

Jimmy is doing his part to make sure that Kerry has his legal challenges if he doesn't win.  I am sure Jimmy would go to Chicago and support voter registration for the dead so they could vote democrat.(Mike Ryko your story lives on)

Basically folks are watching and Jimmy needs his blurb if he is going to be sent to another hot spot and work out a deal that last long enough for the ink to dry. (And Little Else)
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#8 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 12:01 PM

How does Carter know this? Is he living in this state and down at the elections offices on a daily basis?

Considering his after presidency activities, he is one of the formost experts on elections in the world.
Can't Touch This!!

#9 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 12:15 PM

Uh' Yeah Sure.

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

#10 HubcapDave

HubcapDave

Bald is Beautiful!

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 12:57 PM

Nonny, on Sep 27 2004, 08:43 AM, said:

The man has cred. 

Nonny

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And if he keeps talking like that, he'll steadily undermine that cred.

#11 Kosh

Kosh

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 01:34 PM

G1223, on Sep 27 2004, 01:15 PM, said:

Uh' Yeah Sure.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Name one person who has overseen more elections then Jimmy Carter has, since leaveing office. You can't do that over and over again and not come out of it with a good understanding of elections.

Wheather he's right about Fla. is another matter. We still use punch cards here in WV, so I don't think they can blame Jeb Bush if it hasn't changed in Fla.
Can't Touch This!!

#12 Kimmer

Kimmer
  • Islander
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 02:58 PM

Name one person who has overseen more elections then Jimmy Carter has, since leaveing office. You can't do that over and over again and not come out of it with a good understanding of elections.
Experience does not always equal understanding. ;)  I tend to be most skeptical about Mr. Carter and his "abilities". Sorry, but that's just my own opinion.

Wheather he's right about Fla. is another matter. We still use punch cards here in WV, so I don't think they can blame Jeb Bush if it hasn't changed in Fla.
Come to CA where last election we used so-called certified touch screen voting machines that turned out to be horrendously messed up (hacking anyone?) with no paper trail besides. These great machines have now been removed from my county and several others. I opted for absentee ballot on a permanent basis just so I could have a ballot I marked.

Pickles

#13 Kosh

Kosh

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 03:12 PM

Experience does not always equal understanding.

Experience is the best teacher.
Can't Touch This!!

#14 gaius claudius

gaius claudius

I'm bringing the sexy back!!

• Islander
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 03:21 PM

Who cares if us darkies and elderly jews can get our votes counted anyways..you would think this wouldn't be a partisan issue...

You would think since black men and women have been harassed, shot at ad some cases lynched over their rights to vote in this country...we of the modern age could all agree that under no circumstance should there be any impropieties when it comes to casting our ballots...

But heck.its easier to attack the messenger, its easier to bring up talk about what's going on in Cali or Chicago..(oooh ain't that misdirection :blink: ) then to talk about the debacle that was Florida 4 years ago.and that may be happening all over again...

i would think no matter what side you're on politically...you would want you canidate to win fairly...

But then again...who cares about disenfrachisement...when its not happening to you and yours...
    Heck...we all know rascism doesn't exist any more...why just look at Oprah or Kobe...we is all  so good  at sports and entertaining..we ain't got nuthin to complain about

I know all you folks will pick out the best canidate without all us coloreds getting in the way

gc  :devil:
I seek the truth...it is only persistence in self-delusion and ignorance that does harm.
- Marcus Aurelius

King Mob 42

#15 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 03:36 PM

Yes and Jimmy Carter needs more experince in not trying to live up to a party that thinks him a failure.

TANSTAAFL

#16 Kosh

Kosh

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 03:43 PM

G1223, on Sep 27 2004, 04:36 PM, said:

Yes and Jimmy Carter needs more experince in not trying to live up to a party that thinks him a failure.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why would he ytry to live up to the republican party?  :whistle:
Can't Touch This!!

#17 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 04:00 PM

Yeah Right.

You mean the Democrats lost the election of 1980 due to a massive out pouring of people. who vote3d for Jimmy Cater. I did not see the election day reports accuratly. Which is Ron Regan Beat Carter in nearly every State becasue he was seen as a failure as President.

That his party stayed away for nearly 20 yrs becasue he was such a success that they did not give him a important position or level of respect with in the party because the could not figure out which to give him.

Or we have reality.

After a failire as a President taking us to levels that made the Great Depression seem like a blessing and a forgien Policy that made us weaker than a newborn  in a room full of hungry tigers.  Jimmy Carter was removed from office. The former President was so disliked by his party that he spent 20 years working on  Habitates for Humanity. Because the Democratic party refused to trust him with ANYTHING.  Then Jimmy goes off to Haiti and two years after his great job the country of Haiti falls back into the toilet.

Also on his list of well done tasks is North Korea that stops making nuclear grade materials.  Except that we discover that they did not stop and are very close to threatening the Far Eastern world.

So Far Jimmy has too  many failures as a world peacemaker  and that says a lot of his skills.

Edited by G1223, 28 September 2004 - 10:04 AM.

TANSTAAFL

#18 Gefiltefishmon

Gefiltefishmon

Oolong Caluphids Private Secretary

• Islander
  • 789 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 07:41 PM

Well there is evidence of continued malfeasance...

por ejemplo, from the LA Times:

A task force set up by Gov. Bush to recommend changes after the vote-count fiasco of 2000 urged that the voting rights of prisoners be automatically restored once inmates completed their sentences. But the governor refused to review the issue. No matter whether one's crime was marijuana possession, check bouncing or drunk driving, a felon must negotiate a daunting obstacle course to win back the right to vote.

In 2001, the ACLU and the Florida Justice Institute sued the state for failing to comply with a state law mandating that felons be provided voting-rights assistance upon completion of their sentences. In response, the state admitted that between 1992 and 2001 it had not provided the required assistance forms to 125,000 ex-felons. When a Florida appellate court ordered Bush to provide the forms, he responded by abolishing them.

Obviously the shenanagins will continue - I'm telling you, if this were a foreign country we would need to be invaded to save us from vote fraud and a rigged election!
"To know that you do not know is the best. To act from the pretense that you know when you do not know is a disease" - Lao Tzu

"From All, One; and From One, All" - Heraclitus

"Let me be clear: however the world's goblet turns there will always be those drunk on the wine of the Self" - Ghalib

"A 'politically savvy challenge to evolution' is as self-evidently ridiculous as an agriculturally savvy challenge to euclidean geometry would be." - Charles Pierce

#19 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 07:42 PM

Pickles, on Sep 27 2004, 08:26 AM, said:

How does Carter know this? Is he living in this state and down at the elections offices on a daily basis? I find it irresponsible that he is stirring up dirty water this early. If there truly are problems, then he needs to talk with the Florida elections officials - not start skewing the election before it's taken place.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is not exactly news. I sat in my living room and listened to a very long news broadcast about Florida trying to implement the new touch system and having huge problems, along with some other states (parts of California included :p~).

http://www.verifiedv...cle.asp?id=2035

http://www.cnn.com/2...S/03/10/voting/

What's happening is that they're trying to look for accountability and an audit trail in computerized voting - meaning that printouts are available to verify results.

Please notice that one of the two people giving the press release to CNN in the second link is the Senator from Florida. :p :p :p

If Mr. Carter is skewing the elections, then the Senator from Florida must be helping.  :whistle:
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#20 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 11:39 PM

Gefiltefishmon, on Sep 28 2004, 12:41 AM, said:

Well there is evidence of continued malfeasance...

por ejemplo, from the LA Times:

A task force set up by Gov. Bush to recommend changes after the vote-count fiasco of 2000 urged that the voting rights of prisoners be automatically restored once inmates completed their sentences. But the governor refused to review the issue. No matter whether one's crime was marijuana possession, check bouncing or drunk driving, a felon must negotiate a daunting obstacle course to win back the right to vote.

In 2001, the ACLU and the Florida Justice Institute sued the state for failing to comply with a state law mandating that felons be provided voting-rights assistance upon completion of their sentences. In response, the state admitted that between 1992 and 2001 it had not provided the required assistance forms to 125,000 ex-felons. When a Florida appellate court ordered Bush to provide the forms, he responded by abolishing them.

Obviously the shenanagins will continue - I'm telling you, if this were a foreign country we would need to be invaded to save us from vote fraud and a rigged election!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah rigged how? Because they refuse to allow convicted felons the right to vote?
Sorry there is a punishment for the crimes people commit. I see no problem with making a crook work to get his rights back. It might make a better person of him.

TANSTAAFL

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Voter Suppression, Election, 2004, Jimmy Carter, Florida

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users