• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 gaius claudius

gaius claudius

I'm bringing the sexy back!!

• Islander
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 07:10 AM

Yeah rigged how? Because they refuse to allow convicted felons the right to vote?
Sorry there is a punishment for the crimes people commit. I see no problem with making a crook work to get his rights back. It might make a better person of him.

Yes...the punishment is called prison...afterwards you're supposed to have "paid your debt to society"...the whole reason the rule was originally created (mostly in southern states) was specifically to disenfranchise black men...

2nd..the problem with this so caled rule...as it was applied in Florida..a good majority of people kept from voting...were not convicted felons, but people of color whose name was mistakenly put on the list
People who commited no crime at all...except for being black..

gc   :devil:

Edited by gaius claudius, 28 September 2004 - 07:12 AM.

“I seek the truth...it is only persistence in self-delusion and ignorance that does harm.”
- Marcus Aurelius

King Mob 42

#22 gaius claudius

gaius claudius

• Islander
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 07:29 AM

I apologize for posting without quotes...

Five months before the election, Florida Secretary of State Katherine Harris ordered the removal of 57,700 names from Florida’s voter rolls on grounds that they were felons. Voter rolls contain the names of all eligible, registered voters. If you’re not on the list, you don’t get to vote.

If you commit a felony in Florida, you lose your right to vote there, and you‘re “scrubbed” from the rolls. You become a non-citizen, like in the old Soviet Union. This is not the case in most other states; it’s an uncivilized vestige of the Deep South.

My office carefully went through the scrub list and discovered that at minimum, 90.2 percent of the people were completely innocent of any crime – except for being African American. We didn’t have to guess about that, because next to each voter’s name was their race.

When I questioned Harris’ office about the high percentage of African Americans on the scrub list, they responded, “Well, you know how many black people commit crimes.”

But gc...if these people weren't criminals...how did they get scrubbed off the list?

The Florida Republicans wanted to block African Americans, who largely vote as Democrats, from voting. In 1999 they fired the company they were paying $5,700 to compile their felony “scrub” lists and replaced them with Database Technologies [DBT], who they paid $2.3 million to do the same job. [DBT is the Florida division of Choicepoint, a massive database company that does extensive work for the FBI.]
There are a lot of Joe Smiths in the Florida phonebook. DBT was hired to verify which Joe Smith was a felon and which was not. They were supposed to use their extensive databases to check credit cards, bank information, addresses and phone numbers, in addition to names, ages, and social security numbers. But they didn’t. They didn’t use one of their 1,200 databases to verify personal information, nor did they make a single phone call to verify the identity of scrubbed names.

Where did their data come from gc?

From the Internet. They went to 11 other states’ Internet sites and took names off dirt-cheap. They scrubbed Florida voters whose names were similar to out-of-state felons. An Illinois felon named John Michaels could knock off Florida voter John, Johnny, Jonathan or Jon R. Michaels, or even J.R. Michaelson. DBT matched for race and gender, but names only had to be similar to a certain degree. Names could be reversed, and suffixes (Jr., Sr.) were ignored, but aliases were included. So the felon John “Buddy” Michaels could knock non-felon Michael Johns or Bud Johnson Jr. off the voter rolls. This happened again and again.

Although DBT didn’t get names, birthdays or social security numbers right, they were very careful to match for race. A black felon named Mr. Green would only knock off a black Mr. Green, but not a single white Mr. Green. That’s how DBT earned its $2.3 million.

Well that just all coincidence..nothing else was done wrong. Was it gc?

The biggest wholesale theft occurred inside the voting booths in black rural counties. In Gadsden County, one of the blackest in the state, thousands of votes were simply thrown away. Gadsden used paper ballots which are read by an optical reader. Ballots with a single extra mark were considered “spoiled“ and not counted. The buttons used to fill out the ballots were set up – with approval from Bush and Harris – to make votes appear unclear to the machine. One in eight ballots in Gadsden was voided by the state.

The same ballots were used in Tallahassee County, which is mostly white. There only one in 100 votes was “spoiled.” What made the difference? In Tallahassee, ballots were read on the premises, and if they were marked incorrectly, voters were sent to revote until they got it right. In the black counties, the votes were trucked off immediately. There were no machines on site. Voters weren’t told that their votes were spoiled, and they certainly weren’t permitted to re-vote.

Well gee...what happened to Choicepoint and DBT..

Bush is handing them the big contracts in the War on Terror; immigration reviews, DNA cataloging, airport profiling, and their voting systems are being rolled out across the country.
It wasn’t reported in mainstream press, but the NAACP sued Harris and the gang for the black purge, and won. The state threw up its hands immediately and said, ‘You got us! We’ll put these people back as soon as we can.’ We’re still waiting.

http://www.gregpalas...artid=217&row=2
gc :devil:

I'd post ore sources...but I don't want to interfere with the "Jimmy Carter is a loser " arguement which is so relevant to this discussion

I got a right to be hostile...

Edited by gaius claudius, 28 September 2004 - 07:32 AM.

“I seek the truth...it is only persistence in self-delusion and ignorance that does harm.”
- Marcus Aurelius

King Mob 42

#23 Guldorak

Guldorak
  • Islander
  • 393 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 07:36 AM

G1223, on Sep 28 2004, 01:39 AM, said:

Gefiltefishmon, on Sep 28 2004, 12:41 AM, said:

Well there is evidence of continued malfeasance...

por ejemplo, from the LA Times:

A task force set up by Gov. Bush to recommend changes after the vote-count fiasco of 2000 urged that the voting rights of prisoners be automatically restored once inmates completed their sentences. But the governor refused to review the issue. No matter whether one's crime was marijuana possession, check bouncing or drunk driving, a felon must negotiate a daunting obstacle course to win back the right to vote.

In 2001, the ACLU and the Florida Justice Institute sued the state for failing to comply with a state law mandating that felons be provided voting-rights assistance upon completion of their sentences. In response, the state admitted that between 1992 and 2001 it had not provided the required assistance forms to 125,000 ex-felons. When a Florida appellate court ordered Bush to provide the forms, he responded by abolishing them.

Obviously the shenanagins will continue - I'm telling you, if this were a foreign country we would need to be invaded to save us from vote fraud and a rigged election!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah rigged how? Because they refuse to allow convicted felons the right to vote?
Sorry there is a punishment for the crimes people commit. I see no problem with making a crook work to get his rights back. It might make a better person of him.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Like GC said thousands of voters were incorrectly banned form voting because they share a name or part of in some cases with a convicted felon.

These outline what GC was getting at http://www.gregpalas...?artid=55&row=2

from the same guy
http://www.gregpalas...?artid=27&row=2

Edited to add: sorry GC had't spotted your link.

Edited by Guldorak, 28 September 2004 - 08:03 AM.

#24 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 09:51 AM

Kosh, on Sep 27 2004, 08:43 PM, said:

G1223, on Sep 27 2004, 04:36 PM, said:

Yes and Jimmy Carter needs more experince in not trying to live up to a party that thinks him a failure.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why would he ytry to live up to the republican party?  :whistle:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

*snerk*  Good one!  

As I said, Carter has the credentials and the credibility.  He has raised questions that have been raised by others (thanks for the documentation, gc) but, due to his credentials and credibility, has been able to raise them higher.

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#25 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 09:51 AM

gaius claudius, on Sep 28 2004, 12:10 PM, said:

Yes...the punishment is called prison...afterwards you're supposed to have "paid your debt to society"...the whole reason the rule was originally created (mostly in southern states) was specifically to disenfranchise black men...

2nd..the problem with this so caled rule...as it was applied in Florida..a good majority of people kept from voting...were not convicted felons, but people of color whose name was mistakenly put on the list

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First  the law if it is like indiana's  if convicted of a felony you lose the right to vote. Drug possession is not a felony unless in a large amount or you tried to sell it. Ok I am a guy working the polls  a person who's name is on the list of folks not allowed to vote comes in.  He says it's a mistake  I am to let him vote? White black whatever the law says no this person is not allowed to vote. I know from folks who have worked the polls the person is directed to whoever is in charge and they make the final call.

I have heard that the district this happened in is Democratic.  which means those working the polls are appointed by democratic party. Witha few Republicans appointed to keep it on the surface at least fair.  If this is true then it seems that the party shot it self in the foot unless the plan was to try and block Bush from winning.

Just like Jimmy Carter pitching and moaning about how bad it is going to be.

Yes folks the Democratic strategy is this. We take it to court and make the courts deciede in our favor. To hell with voting we will sue till we win.  Got to admit the republicans will not see it comming. They are working on getting the vote.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#26 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 09:59 AM

G1223, on Sep 27 2004, 09:00 PM, said:

You mean the Democrats lost the election of 1980 due to a massive out pouring of people. who vote3d for Jimmy Cater. I did not see the election day reports accuratly. Which is Ron Regan Beat Carter in nearly every State becasue he was seen as a failure as President.

So Far Jimmy has to failures as a world peacemaker  and thyat says a lot of his skills.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How about the GOP, which "won" the election of 2000 in spite of a massive outpouring of votes for the other major party candidate?  

Um, hard to parse that other part.  Please clarify.  'Has to' has to take a verb, and I don't see a clear candidate in that sentence.  

Nonny
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#27 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 10:02 AM

G1223, on Sep 28 2004, 02:51 PM, said:

gaius claudius said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First  the law if it is like indiana's  if convicted of a felony you lose the right to vote.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are ignoring pertinent information.  How about taking another look at what gc posted?

Nonny
edited in a forlorn attempt to, once again, straighten out the quote boxes.  Sigh.

Edited by Nonny, 28 September 2004 - 10:07 AM.

Posted Image

#28 gaius claudius

gaius claudius

• Islander
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 10:37 AM

First the law if it is like indiana's if convicted of a felony you lose the right to vote. Drug possession is not a felony unless in a large amount or you tried to sell it. Ok I am a guy working the polls a person who's name is on the list of folks not allowed to vote comes in. He says it's a mistake I am to let him vote? White black whatever the law says no this person is not allowed to vote. I know from folks who have worked the polls the person is directed to whoever is in charge and they make the final call.

Please see my previous post...you questions are answered...with links and quotes..

more on black voter disenfranchisement...

Felony disenfranchisement laws are state-level rules that strip voting rights from citizens who have been convicted of certain crimes. If you commit a crime, these laws say, you lose the right to vote. There are no federal guidelines about them, so their harshness varies from state to state. The most extreme states -- such as Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Kentucky and Virginia -- bar ex-felons from voting for life.

Is it coincidence that the harshest disenfranchisement laws are mostly in former slave states? Not in the slightest. Like poll taxes and literacy tests, the ostensibly race-neutral disenfranchisement laws were created to keep blacks from voting. In 1896, for example, Mississippi lawmakers ruled that only a narrow range of offenses -- bribery, burglary, theft, arson, perjury, forgery, embezzlement, bigamy and "obtaining money or goods under false pretenses" -- made you lose the vote. Why not murder or rape? Because ex- slaves were far more likely to commit petty property crimes than serious offenses.

Southern lawmakers were not shy about their intentions. One delegate to the Virginia convention of 1906, which established rules similar to Mississippi's, went on record at the time as saying: "This plan will eliminate the darkey as a political factor in this state in less than five years."

The laws worked. One Alabama historian found that by 1903, the laws had excluded nearly 10 times as many blacks as whites from voting.

Sound familiar? Today, our "tough on crime" policies -- especially our draconian drug laws -- disproportionately target people of color. Only 14 percent of illegal drug users are black, but blacks make up 74 percent of those sentenced for drug possession. One in three black men will be jailed at some point.

This translates directly into loss of political power. Blacks are denied the vote because of criminal records five times more often than whites. Thirteen percent of African American men are permanently disenfranchised, and many more have temporarily lost their voting rights. Latinos are also disproportionately affected, given that 16 percent of Latino men will enter prison in their lifetime. This leaves communities of color vastly underrepresented in the political process.

Many states do restore voting rights to ex-felons after they leave prison. But once you make it out, it's Juneteenth all over again. You may have technically regained the right to vote, but no one tells you. This lack of notification puts thousands of Americans in the same position as the slaves of Texas -- on paper they have rights, but if no one tells them they can exercise those rights, they remain second-class citizens.

http://www.commondre...s03/0619-06.htm

- Marcus Aurelius

King Mob 42

#29 gaius claudius

gaius claudius

• Islander
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 10:44 AM

Even moer info on disfranchisement of black voters in Florida..historically speaking

Florida's current lifetime ban on voting by convicted felons—which disenfranchised nearly a third of all black males during the 2000 elections—dates back to the reactionary measures implemented in the late nineteenth century. At the time the state's vagrancy laws and convict lease system—under which prison laborers were rented out to private contractors—allowed the authorities to jail blacks and poor whites on the flimsiest of charges, and strip them of their constitutional rights.

Local election officials even used the secret ballot law to take advantage of high illiteracy among blacks. Under the guise of protecting the integrity of the ballot, the state of Florida barred anyone from providing assistance to a voter even if he could not read.

According to Professor Darryl Paulson of the University of South Florida, these measures were brutally effective. In the presidential election of 1888, prior to the passage of the disenfranchising laws, 75 percent of adult male Floridians voted. By the time of the 1892 presidential election, with the voting barriers in place, only 39 percent of adult males voted. Black male turnout fell from 62 percent in 1888 to 11 percent in 1892.

One measure of the reaction that dominated Florida politics for nearly a century is the fact that Josiah Walls—a former slave and Union soldier, who was elected as Florida's first black member of the US Congress in 1870—would be the state's only black US congressman until November 1992. Although blacks made up anywhere from 10 to 50 percent of the state's population within this time frame, it would also take a century after the post-Civil War Reconstruction period for another African American to serve in the Florida state legislature.

In 1902, the Florida Democratic Party adopted a “white primary” policy, which excluded blacks from voting to nominate Democratic candidates for general elections. Given the Democrats' ascendancy in the “one-party” South, this meant blacks were excluded from participating in the only elections that mattered.

Such laws, which defined political parties as private clubs that had the right to exclude certain classes of people from voting, were adopted throughout the South. Even after the Supreme Court struck down Texas's white-only primary in 1944, the Florida legislature passed a law giving political parties inherent powers to restrict membership and in many counties blacks continued to be barred from joining the Democratic Party or participating in its primary elections.

If blacks found ways to overcome the array of legal obstacles to voting, state officials blocked the counting of their votes. One such method of vote fraud, for which Florida was notorious, was the use of tissue ballots and undersized ballots called “little jokers.” Election officials in areas with large black populations would stuff the ballot boxes so there would be more ballots than eligible voters. Officials would then eliminate the number of ballots equal to the excess by removing the tissue ballots and “little  jokers" that had been given to black voters.

gc :devil:
- Marcus Aurelius

King Mob 42

#30 HubcapDave

HubcapDave

Bald is Beautiful!

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 11:44 AM

Lest we go on believing Greg Palast is an arbiter of truth, allow me to submit something closer to what actually happened.

http://www.commondre...s01/0527-03.htm

Some highlights:

But a Palm Beach Post computer analysis has found at least 1,100 eligible voters wrongly purged from the rolls before last year's election -- the collateral damage from an aggressive and ill-conceived state plan to prevent felons from voting.

Hardly the 55,000 quoted elsewhere.

The company, now a subsidiary of ChoicePoint of Atlanta, produced a list of 42,389 "probable" and "possible" felons before last year's election.

Hmmm, so the list didn't even have 55,000 names on it. How odd!

But a review of state records, internal e-mails of DBT employees and testimony before the civil rights commission and an elections task force showed no evidence that minorities were specifically targeted.

Blacks make up nearly 49 percent of the felons convicted in the state, according to the FDLE, so any purge of felons would include a disproportionate number of blacks.

Records show that DBT told the state it would not use race as a criterion to identify felons. The list itself bears that out: More than 1,000 voters were matched with felons though they were of different races.

Oh, my! Was that the whole "purge was done on race" arguement I saw being tossed out the window? :eek4:

Some problems with the felon purge were inevitable. Computer databases are never perfect; they're only as accurate as the people putting information into them.

So state officials were left with two unpalatable options: Use strict guidelines in identifying felons and risk losing some, or use broad guidelines and risk catching non-felons in the net. The state chose the latter.

Even so, the number of voters wrongly disenfranchised by the felon purge appears to be far less than the "thousands" its critics have claimed.

Though DBT developed the list, it was up to the 67 county elections supervisors to use it.

The supervisors wrote warning letters to the suspected felons, giving them one to two months to appeal before they were dropped from the rolls.

Several supervisors said they ignored "possible" matches that were obviously wrong.

Many counties didn't use the list at all.

Ultimately, less than half of the names on the DBT list were purged, state records show.

You mean it wasn't automatically done by King Jeb and the nefarious Katherine Harris? Heavens to merketroid!

Felons had been voting

Controversy aside, most of the people the state prevented from voting probably were felons.

Of the 19,398 voters removed from the rolls, more than 14,600 matched a felon by name, birthdate, race and gender.

More than 6,500 were convicted in counties other than where they voted, suggesting they would not have been found by local officials without the DBT list.

So, in the end, though very flawed, the list did accomplish much of it's aim: to keep people from voting who had no legal right to vote. Now you may argue all you want that the law itself is a vestige of darker days, but that hardly makes it a great conspiracy to get Bush elected.

#31 gaius claudius

gaius claudius

• Islander
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 12:34 PM

Let's not split hairs about figures..55 or 42 thousand..both are equally disturbing..

Oh, my! Was that the whole "purge was done on race" arguement I saw being tossed out the window?

Ummm...no it wasn't...the only source that says that DBT didn't use race as a criteria...is DBT..and their parent compay...independant sources say differently.

the 2nd part of their arguement is that about 1000 ppl were misidentified by race in their system.ok..if we go by your numbers..that 1000 out 42,000...less then 2%

ummmm....we're not discussing the counties that didn't use the list...we discussing the counties that did...you know..the most populated ones..

Now you may argue all you want that the law itself is a vestige of darker days, but that hardly makes it a great conspiracy to get Bush elected.

But you are right..it sis stop felons from voting..especially ones who did even know they couldn't vote..

Many of these felons were convicted years ago, and they had no idea that they did not have their civil rights.

Many had been voting and unwittingly breaking the law for years.

Ellic Land, 81, had not missed an election in Lee County in at least 10 years before he was stricken from the rolls last year, based on a 30-year-old conviction he barely remembers.

In 1971, Land was charged with carrying a concealed weapon for wearing a pistol in his waistband at a Fort Myers restaurant.

Land, a World War II veteran, said he only paid a fine at the time and didn't realize he had lost his civil rights.

Now he must ask the governor for clemency to vote again.

"Dodging bullets for this country and then he can't even vote," said his wife, Ruby. "It's not right."

Just the type of dangerous felon we need to keep off the election rolls..damn vets :glare:

Yes...you may be right..how could i continue to believe there was some type of conspiracy to keep blacks from voting in fla..

In Florida earlier this year, officials abandoned another purge of felons from voting rolls after Florida newspapers obtained records showing that the 2004 list would have improperly made thousands ineligible, and appeared to target blacks.

http://www.troyrecor...id=226967&rfi=6

or this

The Justice Department is investigating accusations that Florida law enforcement officers intimidated elderly black voters during a probe of voting fraud last spring.

You're right..we's all just paranoid...

Edited by gaius claudius, 28 September 2004 - 12:38 PM.

- Marcus Aurelius

King Mob 42

#32 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,137 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 12:34 PM

Can I just say that, regardless of the voting problems . . . I sincerely hope that whichever candidate winds up winning this next election, it'll be by a wider margin than the last one.

There are definately problems with the voting systems that need to be fixed.  The touch-screens are a stupid idea.  I'm a fan of the tried and true "complete the arrow next to your candidate of choice" on a paper ballot method.  That way you have all the advantages of electronic voting, and an accurate paper trail for recounts . . . with no worries about "dangling chads" or faulty/tampered with memory cards.

-Nick

#33 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 12:41 PM

and therein lies the rub Nick,

If Bush or Kerry wins by 120 electoral college votes, then any iregularities in Florida will be largely overlooked.

If however, it again comes down to less than a thousand votes in Florida, while Kerry holds the popular vote AND there are masses of voting irregularities, AND Bush is once again 'elected' by the Supreme court, then I imagine he will lose much of his legitimacy in many people's eyes.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#34 HubcapDave

HubcapDave

Bald is Beautiful!

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 01:29 PM

Let's not split hairs about figures..55 or 42 thousand..both are equally disturbing..

Who is splitting hairs? The assertion is being put forth that 55,000 blacks were illegally purged from voting rolls. I am pointing out that there weren't even 55,000 people on the list to begin with!

Oh, my! Was that the whole "purge was done on race" arguement I saw being tossed out the window?

Ummm...no it wasn't...the only source that says that DBT didn't use race as a criteria...is DBT..and their parent compay...independant sources say differently.

the 2nd part of their arguement is that about 1000 ppl were misidentified by race in their system.ok..if we go by your numbers..that 1000 out 42,000...less then 2%

DBT........and the writers of the article, who conducted their own investigation. I believe they qualify as "independent".

ummmm....we're not discussing the counties that didn't use the list...we discussing the counties that did...you know..the most populated ones..

And you know this how?

As for the rest....I'm not going to argue that the purge was a bit of a fiasco, but to continue to insist that George Bush is trying to disenfranchise black voters so he can win is ludicrous in the extreme.

Edited by HubcapDave, 28 September 2004 - 01:31 PM.

#35 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 01:31 PM

Basically Land broke the law.  Like it or not he did.  He was convicted of the crime. That no one caught it till now is not an excuse for allowing it to continue but a reason to keep a closer eye on those voting.

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

#36 Mr.Calgary

Mr.Calgary

Has left.

• Islander
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 01:36 PM

From opinionjournal.com (I get it everyday....I don't know if others have to register if they follow the link....if so, let me know)  

http://www.opinionjo...ml?id=110005682
Favourite Coda thread quotes.....

(1)  Yes. Bad Trance! Wicked, Evil Trance!

(2)  Stayed purple.   (3)  Bad, bad Trance!

(4)  Love and Blowing Things Up continue forever. The universe wins

#37 HubcapDave

HubcapDave

Bald is Beautiful!

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 01:41 PM

Yeah, you gotta register!

Highlights please!

#38 gaius claudius

gaius claudius

• Islander
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 01:42 PM

DBT........and the writers of the article, who conducted their own investigation. I believe they qualify as "independent".

I agree the writers of thearticle are independant...but the only source they quote for that particular part of the investigation is DBT itself..no one else

Its like asking Scott Peterson if he's guilty...of course he's going to say no..

And you know this how?

From the bvarious sources i credited..will gather more later..

As for the rest....I'm not going to argue that the purge was a bit of a fiasco, but to continue to insist that George Bush is trying to disenfranchise black voters so he can win is ludicrous in the extreme

Why?...With all the historical evidence I've quoted from multiple sources...why is this assertion ludricrous?  Rascism no longer exists?  Bush wouldn't do that?  Elected officials are above this kind of thing.. White people in power wouldn't get together to do this kind of thing..

c'mon

- Marcus Aurelius

King Mob 42

#39 gaius claudius

gaius claudius

• Islander
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 01:45 PM

G1223, on Sep 28 2004, 02:31 PM, said:

Basically Land broke the law.  Like it or not he did.  He was convicted of the crime. That no one caught it till now is not an excuse for allowing it to continue but a reason to keep a closer eye on those voting.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's the rebuttal?...OK

Now give me a reason that for that one infraction...one that didn't even include jail time..with no other convictions for anything..that this man should never be allowed to vote again..
And wasn't its the state's responsiblity to inform of this fact...

gc  :devil:
- Marcus Aurelius

King Mob 42

#40 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 01:52 PM

So are  you saying that it's all the Man keep you down?  All White people want is to get rid of you. If that was the case why haven't they done it.

Basically as Dave showed. Mistakes were made well guess what mistakes always get made. Nothing is flawless. When it comes to the work of few thousand people including the black people who work in these offices. Or are they cyborgs linked into a mind controlling machine run by white men.

Basically the system messed up and put a couple of thousand names on the list incorrectly. Out of what 12 million voters. That makes the error rate .01%
or One in 10,000. and if it's 55,000 that is an error of .4% and that is based on Florida having a population of 12 million ( I suspect I am off numbers wise on pupulation.)

So those expecting 100% voter satisfaction are always going to be disappointed. But.01% or .4% are pretty dammed good numbers when it comes to the issue.

TANSTAAFL

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Voter Suppression, Election, 2004, Jimmy Carter, Florida

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users