California Earthquake today ... Tuesday ..

Natural Disasters Earthquake California 2004

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 shambalayogi

shambalayogi

Fan of Many Things

• Islander
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 01:18 PM

Hope everyone is okay. It didn't sounds like a biggie in the news report I read.
Shamba,
I Trust SNAPE!  so .. he better be loyal!
I Knew Where NZ was before LOTR!
Frodo Lives! Long Live the King!
It may not be a time of myth and legend, but it's
definitely a time for heroes and heroines!
Shambalayogi's Retreat
Tulsa Trek Expo
Comic Con In 2008
Learn About Peak Oil

#2 nutmeg

nutmeg

Just passing through

• Islander
  • 169 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 02:45 PM

I live in CA and didn't feel a thing. When did it happen, where, and what number on the Richter scale?

Thanks, any info appreciated   :)

nutmeg

#3 HubcapDave

HubcapDave

Bald is Beautiful!

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 02:54 PM

Here's a story on it:

http://story.news.ya..._us/calif_quake

I live and work in San Mateo, (south of SF by about 15 miles) and I didn't feel a gorram thing.

#4 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,095 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 03:05 PM

6.0, for a prelimiary. I think they usually go a bit higher then the first reports. I may have that backwards.
Can't Touch This!!

#5 Kimmer

Kimmer
  • Islander
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 03:17 PM

Didn't feel it, but it does explain my cats more than normal bizarre behavior this morning.

#6 nutmeg

nutmeg

Just passing through

• Islander
  • 169 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 03:43 PM

Thanks everyone for the information and link to the article reporting this.

nutmeg

#7 LaughingVulcan

LaughingVulcan

Isn't it about time you got a little more LV in your life?

• Islander
  • 3,445 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 04:25 PM

Here's a link to the USGS earthquake map and site:

http://quake.wr.usgs...teqs/latest.htm

Doesn't look like it was too bad.

-LV

eta:  and the page with large thumbnails of seismograph activity is interesting also:
http://quake.wr.usgs...1212_thumb.html

Edited by LaughingVulcan, 28 September 2004 - 04:30 PM.

Posted Image
Nikki's Loving LV.  Property of the PPD.  Aka "Mr. Peppermint"
The Vulcan-Pixie alliance is strong.

#8 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 05:16 PM

Didn't feel a thing. It was in Montery County - Gigi might've felt it, maybe.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#9 Zoxesyr

Zoxesyr
  • Islander
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 05:18 PM

I work in Downtown San Francisco, and on the 9th floor of a high-rise.  We felt it, first as a little jerk, then as a sort of slow rolling as the building flexed around.

We were thinking it was about a 3-4 until we learned it was so far away.

No damage, other than a few panic attacks.
www.zoxesyrbautie.com

#10 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,454 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 06:07 PM

I didn't feel a thing and was surprised when, sometime after 10:45 AM, a KFOG DJ said that if we'd heard the music shaking some minutes ago, it was because they'd had a quake. (KFOG is in San Francisco.) I've heard it called 6.0, then 5.8, then 5.9. So, somewhere in that range, which is scary enough.
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#11 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,129 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 07:51 PM

Wasn't it at that place that all kinds of equipment was set up to wait for a big one?  The place that had one every twenty years or so, until they set up the equipment?  I guess the waiting paid off.  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#12 GiGi

GiGi

Lipstick wearing PIG kisser!

• Islander
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 08:32 PM

Rhea, on Sep 28 2004, 03:16 PM, said:

Didn't feel a thing. It was in Montery County - Gigi might've felt it, maybe.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep, I did!  Nice little shake, actually made me a little dizzy though!
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do all creatures." -- HH The Dalai Lama

#13 LaughingVulcan

LaughingVulcan

Isn't it about time you got a little more LV in your life?

• Islander
  • 3,445 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 08:49 PM

Norville, on Sep 28 2004, 04:07 PM, said:

I didn't feel a thing and was surprised when, sometime after 10:45 AM, a KFOG DJ said that if we'd heard the music shaking some minutes ago, it was because they'd had a quake. (KFOG is in San Francisco.) I've heard it called 6.0, then 5.8, then 5.9. So, somewhere in that range, which is scary enough.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I miss KFOG, and KCBS (Thinking "...and I'm Narsai David" makes me homesick. :) )

Nonny, on Sep 28 2004, 05:51 PM, said:

Wasn't it at that place that all kinds of equipment was set up to wait for a big one?  The place that had one every twenty years or so, until they set up the equipment?  I guess the waiting paid off. 

Nonny

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep, just about every known or experimental predictor and measurement tool is in that area.  eta:  Not for 'the big one,' but because that is the most active area on the San Andreas line.  Lots of temblors hit that area.

-LV

Edited by LaughingVulcan, 28 September 2004 - 08:52 PM.

Posted Image
Nikki's Loving LV.  Property of the PPD.  Aka "Mr. Peppermint"
The Vulcan-Pixie alliance is strong.

#14 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 10:08 PM

We were talking about the predictions for a Parkfield quake in my Environmental Geology class today, actually.  The quake was, in fact, during the class. ;)

I suspect we're going to digress a wee bit on Thursday. :D
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#15 eechick

eechick
  • Islander
  • 4,219 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 08:06 PM

I was too far south.

#16 D.Lerious

D.Lerious

Queen of the Potato people

• Islander
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 12:43 AM

I didn't feel a thing.

#17 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,129 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 04:28 PM

Anakam, on Sep 29 2004, 03:08 AM, said:

We were talking about the predictions for a Parkfield quake in my Environmental Geology class today, actually.  The quake was, in fact, during the class. ;)

I suspect we're going to digress a wee bit on Thursday. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll be interested to hear more about that.   :oh:

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#18 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 08:00 PM

^
Well, I'm in Michigan, so I obviously didn't feel anything, but it was kind of weird to have a quake in Parkfield the same day, and within just an hour or two, of when we were watching this video about the earthquake cycle there and all the instruments they have set up. :D

We just spent a few minutes on it today and talked a bit about the aftershocks and what a *%^&* the San Andreas can be. ;)
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#19 shambalayogi

shambalayogi

Fan of Many Things

• Islander
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 10:50 AM

Glad no one was hurt.  Thanks for the replies!
Shamba,
I Trust SNAPE!  so .. he better be loyal!
I Knew Where NZ was before LOTR!
Frodo Lives! Long Live the King!
It may not be a time of myth and legend, but it's
definitely a time for heroes and heroines!
Shambalayogi's Retreat
Tulsa Trek Expo
Comic Con In 2008
Learn About Peak Oil

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Natural Disasters, Earthquake, California, 2004

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users