• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Board Owner
  • 11,206 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 02:15 PM

So far it has been mostly steam with some ash. Very minor from what the radio news station says.

UPDATE: 12:14PM another eruption, this time much larger. A huge cloud of ash can be seen over the mountain.

Edited by Lover of Purple, 01 October 2004 - 02:17 PM.

#2 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 02:21 PM

oh dren.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#3 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,456 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 02:23 PM

Oh dear, oh dear... :eek:
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#4 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Board Owner
  • 11,206 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 02:30 PM

Update: The ash cloud is being blown off by the wind and video shows that things have calmed down again. Only a little steam from a vent  now. Havne't heard what seismic activity is going on yet.

#5 Brynhilde

Brynhilde

An ardent admirer

• Islander
  • 4,316 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 02:32 PM

Eeeep!!! :o
"Ah, get born, keep warm
Short pants, romance, learn to dance
Get dressed, get blessed
Try to be a success
Please her, please him, buy gifts
Don't steal, don't lift
Twenty years of schoolin'
And they put you on the day shift..."

~ Bob Dylan, Subterranean Homesick Blues

#6 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Board Owner
  • 11,206 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 02:34 PM

Scientists are calling it a minor steam eruption. No one injured nor peoperty damaged. :)

#7 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 02:38 PM

fwew, glad to hear it LoP

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#8 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Board Owner
  • 11,206 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 02:41 PM

Steven_Q, on Oct 1 2004, 11:38 AM, said:

fwew, glad to hear it LoP

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think St. Helen's wanted to remind us she is around still. :D

#9 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 02:59 PM

Mama nature's like that from time to time. :D

Defy Gravity!

#10 GenesisII

GenesisII

• Islander
  • 600 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 03:06 PM

It is doubtful the whole thing is over. It will probably go on for weeks. It helps the scientist learn about volcanoes without there being much danger. It is probably just more dome building type eruptions.

#11 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Board Owner
  • 11,206 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 03:11 PM

Actually they are saying it is from some trapped magma below the mountain that keeps venting. According to Seattle scientists it isn't dome building, just pressure releasing from a glacier hitting the magma. The dome building is causing different readings. Busy mountain.;)

I wonder if the mountain needs some antacids? :D :D

Edited to add link to MSNBC. It has a link to live siesmic readings too.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6092368/

Edited by Lover of Purple, 01 October 2004 - 03:14 PM.

#12 Zanthra

Zanthra
  • Islander
  • 1,843 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 03:25 PM

Heh, my mom worked on samples of some of the gasses from the volcano before it erupted 18 or so years back.  She would get samples from people working there on the volcano, and she knew some people who were nearby when it erupted.  Hewever the vulcanologists therre were smart enough to keep people from getting too close.  Although there was a guy who had to drive fast to keep away from the cloud of ash that was chasinng him.

I asked my mom about this, and she basically said the mountain "Burped!" :)

#13 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 03:28 PM

I know that St.Helen's  was a big blast but it's nothing if Yellowstone goes. That one is a huge monster just ticking away.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#14 Lyric of Delphi

Lyric of Delphi

A little too much LDS

• Islander
  • 9,092 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 04:27 PM

Yellowstone? Omg, after reading Bill Bryson's "A Short History of Nearly Everything" I made a vow never to go there...ever...a giant supervolcano 60 km wide? I think I'll pass...

#15 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 10:29 PM

The funny thing is that I was looking at the volcano cam at Johnston less than half an hour before the eruption. :p

And yeah, it's pretty small compared to what it can do.  St. Helen's just wants to remind us that 'she' is still very awake.
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#16 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 12:22 AM

Lyric Z D, on Oct 1 2004, 02:27 PM, said:

Yellowstone? Omg, after reading Bill Bryson's "A Short History of Nearly Everything" I made a vow never to go there...ever...a giant supervolcano 60 km wide? I think I'll pass...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah, but you don't have to go to the supervolcano. It comes to you. :devil: Check out our previous supervolcano discussions. Very scary....
Per aspera ad astra

#17 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 08:24 AM

^
I know there's some kind of bad joke I can make about that, but I can't think of anything.  :devil:  :(

However, if you thought Mt St Helen's ash was bad, just wait till you see Yellowstone's ash... ;)
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#18 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 10:32 AM

VolcanoCam

There's quite a bit of shtuff obscuring the view of the crater; I wonder if there was a little bit of ash or steam this morning, or if it's just old stuff being blown around by the wind?

Edited by Anakam, 02 October 2004 - 10:32 AM.

#19 GenesisII

GenesisII

• Islander
  • 600 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 02:57 PM

It burped again today. I like the fact that scientist get a chance to study a live volcano. Mt. St. Helens is like a living lab for an andesitic/dacite type volcano.

It is dome building. That is what the magma is doing up beneath the dome. In this case there happens to be a glacier being effected and that accounts for more steam and some ash raising in a larger cloud then usual over the past years.

Edited by GenesisII, 02 October 2004 - 03:27 PM.

#20 HubcapDave

HubcapDave

Bald is Beautiful!

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 07:53 PM

Looks like she's building for another blast:

http://story.news.ya...ount_st__helens

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Natural Disasters, 2004, Mt. St. Helens

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users