Natural Disasters 2004 Mt. St. Helens

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Morrhigan

Morrhigan
  • Islander
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 03:48 AM

I'm driving down to the Coldwater Visitor's Center (the closest one still open to the public) Sunday with Hambil. Should make for some great photos. :)
Posted Image

#22 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 12:09 AM

Hope it went well, Morrighan. :D  (Did you get a look at those blown over trees across Coldwater Lake?  :blink:  That was a 'wow' for me when I first went there...)
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#23 Morrhigan

Morrhigan
  • Islander
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 12:20 PM

^It went great! It was cloudy on the way down, but the clouds cleared off just as we were approaching the mountain, and the rest of the day was gorgeous. There were hundreds of people there, plus tons of media. Some folks were camped out like they intended to wait until the thing erupts, LOL. All was quiet, though, just a few wisps of steam hovering over the crater.

Yes, I saw the trees you're talking about. Amazing that it still looks that way after what, 24 years? I remember driving up I5 just a few months after the 1980 eruption, and seeing the Toutle River turned into a mudpit clogged with huge trees. Now that was scary.

Anyway, we had fun yesterday! :)
Posted Image

#24 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 04:02 PM

^
It was still like that a year later.  Boggled my parents when they saw it. :D ;)

St Helens VolcanoCam is running about 10 minutes behind, but it did give me the chance to see a steam/ash eruption earlier today.  :wideeyed:

(The trees are more incredible at Johnston, IIRC, in that you get to see more of them closeup, but Coldwater is better for the 'matchstick' effect. ;) The Johnston VC has trees and other eruption stuff on the roof, so it looks absolutely cool from above. :D )
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#25 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 10:37 PM

Ooh, got to see it spew some steam during class today.  :wideeyed:  The image was actually an hour old when we were looking at it, but it was still really cool. :D

#26 darthsikle

darthsikle
  • Dead account
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 10:46 PM

Volcanoes are the one thing that scares me.  Such fury and the molten lava.

My prayers go out to all the potential people in the lava path
Goodbye.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Natural Disasters, 2004, Mt. St. Helens

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users